• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Snake guns?

trust me a shovel is not as effective as you might think.

I had a pigmy rattler in my garage one night down here at my old house... I chased it around with a shovel for 5 minutes before it finally died.... the clanging of the shovel off the concrete sounded like the bells of St Mary's.

we have seen quite a few venomous snakes around here in our 9 years... you never walk in the grass in bare feet or open toed shoes/sandals, you never reach into a bush without beating it with a rake and wearing good gloves.... and on the golf course they are all over the place, especially in rocky areas.

Pool skimmers are approached with caution

They are not something we take lightly in these parts.

The wife's .22 is loaded with CCI shot shells
Where are you located?

Of course BOND won't ship a holster to MA so look for a used one.

The only snakes taken were eaten. I watched one crazy-assed instructor get a nice rattler in the dunes of Vandenberg AFB with an e-tool. Mmm it was good. [rofl]

1612897816353.png

Not to derail the thread, but if I had a baby crawling around in the Tennessee grass I’d be more concerned with fire ants who will chase you versus copperheads that run away.
I live in one of two counties in Ma that has both copperheads and timber rattlesnakes. They are both incredibly shy. I have picked up and tossed more than a few copperheads with no problem. The timber rattlesnakes run away so fast all you see is their black tail. Cottonmouths are a different story.
For what it’s worth here’s a list of Tennessee counties and their relative fire ant infestations. They suck.

Of course BOND won't ship a holster to MA so look for a used one.

The only snakes taken were eaten. I watched one crazy-assed instructor get a nice rattler in the dunes of Vandenberg AFB with an e-tool. Mmm it was good. [rofl]

View attachment 448018
Bond Arms got two of their guns added to the MA Roster. They still wont ship holsters?

walk away from the snake, problem solved. Or smash it with a stick, rock etc.. but walk away or run. Save the ammo prices are nuts.

Not to derail the thread, but if I had a baby crawling around in the Tennessee grass I’d be more concerned with fire ants who will chase you versus copperheads that run away.
I live in one of two counties in Ma that has both copperheads and timber rattlesnakes. They are both incredibly shy. I have picked up and tossed more than a few copperheads with no problem. The timber rattlesnakes run away so fast all you see is their black tail. Cottonmouths are a different story.
For what it’s worth here’s a list of Tennessee counties and their relative fire ant infestations. They suck.

Yeah im a huge pussy I won't pickup a garter snake. I'm shooting first through 21st before I get to the pick it up option.

Good info on the fireants though

Bond Arms got two of their guns added to the MA Roster. They still wont ship holsters?

As of Christmas 2021 2020 they wouldn't send a holster to MA dealers. I asked. Will look into it.

Today:

**Barrel Limitations: According to state laws we cannot ship barrels to California or Massachusetts. In the following areas we cannot ship barrels directly to your house, You must order through a dealer: New York, New Jersey, Washington DC, Chicago. Customers in Maryland are restricted to certain barrels for certain Bond Arms Models, we will ship barrels to your house, but you are responsible for following the laws (click here for Maryland guidelines on which barrels you can purchase)

Last edited:
As others have said, if it's well away from where your kid will be, I'd leave it alone. But if it hangs out where there is regular human or pet traffic, and you want to kill it (them) I recommend carrying a S&W Governor or even the cheapo cousin Taurus Judge, with .410 shotshells. Snake and vermin control are about the only real practical uses for these oversize, inaccurate revolvers. Working on a farm, it's easier to carry around with you than a shotgun. I sold one to a customer in Virginia, he told his neighbors and I sold three more that week.

I find that in any caliber, pistol loads with #12 shot just don't put out enough pellets for a guaranteed one-shot kill from a safe distance. But a whole .410 shell makes a plenty big cloud to do the job.

If you get one, load it with Winchester AA shells rather than the cheapo target shells. We loaded one with Fiocchi target shells; the thin brass flowed under pressure and jammed the case up against the back plate, which prevented the cylinder from turning until the cylinder was opened with the help of a mallet.

If you see it in time to pull a handgun, you can easily walk around it instead of shooting it. Snakes won't chase you, so there's no need to kill a free rodent-control system.

I generally agree with that, but in the South one may have to deal with cottonmouths / water moccasins. They are incredibly aggressive and I once had to shoot 3 that would not be deterred by throwing rocks and firewood. This was in the water and involved folks who could not easily get away. If only me, I would not have shot them. Copperheads can be cranky too, but I haven't seen one give chase like a cottonmouth. I've seen several rattlers, copperheads, cottonmouths, and even a coral snake out west. In all cases except the one cottonmouth situation they all wanted to GTFO as much as I did.

Stainless revolver with .38 shotshells is good medicine for venomous snakes that won't take no for an answer. As others have mentioned, .410 revolver better. Unless you are close to water you won't have to deal with cottonmouths and for anything else a big stick is just about as good. 99.9999% of the time just let them be.

I've walked up on timber rattlers in Templeton a number of times, sat down next to one once. Shot it with a 22lr when I heard it rattle.
Shoot, shovel, shut up. End of problem. Seen them around in NH too.

Ya, I was also going to mention the .410 mini guns. I have one but just because it fell into my lap for a great price many moons ago through a friend. Thanks Scrivner!

However, as has been eluded to above, it is not the type of gun most people just run out and buy. It would be very effective with some #8-9's.
I even tried shooting a couple of skeet targets with it without any success. I couldn't even break the low house from seven and I can regularly get that one hip shooting my 100 year old side-by-side. [grin]

I generally agree with that, but in the South one may have to deal with cottonmouths / water moccasins. They are incredibly aggressive and I once had to shoot 3 that would not be deterred by throwing rocks and firewood. This was in the water and involved folks who could not easily get away. If only me, I would not have shot them. Copperheads can be cranky too, but I haven't seen one give chase like a cottonmouth. I've seen several rattlers, copperheads, cottonmouths, and even a coral snake out west. In all cases except the one cottonmouth situation they all wanted to GTFO as much as I did.

Stainless revolver with .38 shotshells is good medicine for venomous snakes that won't take no for an answer. As others have mentioned, .410 revolver better. Unless you are close to water you won't have to deal with cottonmouths and for anything else a big stick is just about as good. 99.9999% of the time just let them be.
Yeah and I'm looking at land with water on it so they're going to be something that may crop up

Infant son... don't want him thinking it's ok to play with them. Dogs, cats etc. If I can avoid shooting it I will.. but I'm going to shoot it not screw around grabbing a shovel or something

There's the caveat of following all local firearms discharge laws, if applicable, which should be mentioned.

Tennessee Memphis/Mississippi/Eastern Arkansas area

Supposedly copper heads and water moccasins are pretty common there...plus a few rattlers

You might have better luck reading threads from other forums for different areas. I don't think many people on here have much personal experience with snake loads.

Personally, if I had to shoot a snake, it'd be with my EDC.

Where are you located?

He's in FL, I believe, if he doesn't come back to say.

Yeah and I'm looking at land with water on it so they're going to be something that may crop up

In that case good to be prepared. Mostly you will have to deal with nonvenomous snakes and will probably regularly see garter snakes and possibly water snakes. Best way to deal with those (if you must) is to make a snake catcher with a pvc pipe and some cable. If I had water on my property and others to worry about, I'd leave the nonvenomous ones alone, relocate rattlers and copperheads, and f-ing kill every cottonmouth I see. If not my property, I'd leave even those bastards alone.

37e037049034e184620efa2f1dffa9c0--pvc.jpg

There's the caveat of following all local firearms discharge laws, if applicable, which should be mentioned.

You might have better luck reading threads from other forums for different areas. I don't think many people on here have much personal experience with snake loads.

Personally, if I had to shoot a snake, it'd be with my EDC.

He's in FL, I believe, if he doesn't come back to say.
I'll be on other forums too but this one is way more entertaining... where else am I gonna learn to bang dinosaurs and talk about fireants

Another thing: some kids really dislike loud noises. Consider a suppressor or quiet, subsonic loads or a long-barreled .22. If I was shooting near an infant and the infant wasn't in harm's way, I'd try to protect his hearing.

Saw a youtube video within the last couple weeks called something like 'shooting snakes with snakeload'. It was really shooting 3 rubber snakes hit with snakeloads, and the end result was it didn't seem like snakeloads would really kill a snake.

I agree - check with folks who live in snake country.

In that case good to be prepared. Mostly you will have to deal with nonvenomous snakes and will probably regularly see garter snakes and possibly water snakes. Best way to deal with those (if you must) is to make a snake catcher with a pvc pipe and some cable. If I had water on my property and others to worry about, I'd leave the nonvenomous ones alone, relocate rattlers and copperheads, and f-ing kill every cottonmouth I see. If not my property, I'd leave even those bastards alone.

37e037049034e184620efa2f1dffa9c0--pvc.jpg
If its venomous it's dead will be my rule of thumb. But any non venomous I'll probably just leave alone idc all that much

Another thing: some kids really dislike loud noises. Consider a suppressor or quiet, subsonic loads or a long-barreled .22. If I was shooting near an infant and the infant wasn't in harm's way, I'd try to protect his hearing.
Ammo ain't cheap lol and I am not that good a shot I'd probably end up mag dumping a 22 to kill it lol

Saw a youtube video within the last couple weeks called something like 'shooting snakes with snakeload'. It was really shooting 3 rubber snakes hit with snakeloads, and the end result was it didn't seem like snakeloads would really kill a snake.

I agree - check with folks who live in snake country.
Yeah thats where I saw 44 was much better than 38

Ammo ain't cheap lol and I am not that good a shot I'd probably end up mag dumping a 22 to kill it lol

Suppressors increase accuracy, generally speaking. There's also a whole category of "garden guns" from say 60+ years ago that were intended to allow kids to shoot small things in gardens... like snakes. They're not loud.

As others have said, sometimes you can’t just walk away, or even run away, and apparently the cotton mouths missed the memo that humans should just walk around it and we can all live in peace together, because those MF’s are fast, super aggressive and will chase you down for quite a distance just because they’re having a bad day. Worst snake out there I’d say at least for American style.

I’m back and forth to Texas quite often, and keep a little NAA Black Widow .22magnum with shot shell in my pocket just in case. Haven’t had to use it yet, but just like anything else it’s better to have...

As a kid growing up in PA (many rattlers and copperheads) I remember seeing my dad decapitate a snake with an ice chopper. He saw it, pointed out a safe area for me to stand, quickly got the ice chopper and just walked over and did it, quick as anything. But he was in WWII, this was nothing:cool: . Fond memories.

As a kid growing up in PA (many rattlers and copperheads) I remember seeing my dad decapitate a snake with an ice chopper. He saw it, pointed out a safe area for me to stand, quickly got the ice chopper and just walked over and did it, quick as anything. But he was in WWII, this was nothing:cool: . Fond memories.
Yeah I'm a puss lol I'm shooting it.

But the other part to that equation is the same with every other type altercation. If I can stand out of a snakes reach I'll do that every time. It's probably plenty safe in boots and jeans but still chances are better if you shoot it from 20 feet

Back
Top Bottom