• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Snake guns?

What do you guys carry to dispatch unwanted venomous snakes?

I was thinking 38spc with cci snake loads seemed effective then I read 28 different things and now I'm not sure lol.

I'm thinking glock 21 for some 45 love or a 44 mag of some type. I'm not a big wheel gun guy so if I could carry an autoloader that fed reliably I'd be happier. But what says the brain trust

Obviously a 12 gauge by the door is preferable but out in the yard what's a serviceable solution?

This is precipitated by moving to tenn so snakes and such in that area are the concern.

What do you guys carry to dispatch unwanted venomous snakes?

I was thinking 38spc with cci snake loads seemed effective then I read 28 different things and now I'm not sure lol.

I'm thinking glock 21 for some 45 love or a 44 mag of some type. I'm not a big wheel gun guy so if I could carry an autoloader that fed reliably I'd be happier. But what says the brain trust

Obviously a 12 gauge by the door is preferable but out in the yard what's a serviceable solution?

This is precipitated by moving to tenn so snakes and such in that area are the concern.

If you see it in time to pull a handgun, you can easily walk around it instead of shooting it. Snakes won't chase you, so there's no need to kill a free rodent-control system.

If you see it in time to pull a handgun, you can easily walk around it. Snakes won't chase you, so there's no need to kill a free rodent-control system.
Hiking yes... but there definitely are many cases where only killing it works.

Also I have an infant so no snakes in the yard until he's old enough to not touch it

CCI makes snake shot in several pistol calibers. I've seen it in the stores around here, even though killing rattlesnakes is illegal in Utah.

A hockey stick or a spade shovel works great...

Why shoot the snake? You ever heard the saying when all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail? TN isn't exactly known for massive populations of venomous snakes, yea you might see one once in a while but I bet it's not that much more common than you'd experience here.

.22 shot is pretty ineffective beyond almost contact distance. I would go with .357 or 45 shot capsules in a revolver myself.

Good luck

A hockey stick or a spade shovel works great...

Why shoot the snake? You ever heard the saying when all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail? TN isn't exactly known for massive populations of venomous snakes, yea you might see one once in a while but I bet it's not that much more common than you'd experience here.
Infant son... don't want him thinking it's ok to play with them. Dogs, cats etc. If I can avoid shooting it I will.. but I'm going to shoot it not screw around grabbing a shovel or something

Infant son... don't want him thinking it's ok to play with them. Dogs, cats etc. If I can avoid shooting it I will.. but I'm going to shoot it not screw around grabbing a shovel or something
Cheap single shot .410 makes a handy woods walk/yard/farm gun and works great for hunting small game too and the slugs are about equal in power to 9mm.

Cheap single shot .410 makes a handy woods walk/yard/farm gun and works great for hunting small game too and the slugs are about equal in power to 9mm.
Yeah I definitely want a 12 gauge pump hanging around to grab.

But again if I'm out in the yard playing catch I want it on me you know... ball goes into the bushes and bam you come face to face with a copper head

How many venomous snakes are we seeing in new england that we need to kill them?

in massachusetts timber rattlesnakes and copperheads are protected so avoiding them is your best bet.

If youre set on getting a snake gun id go for a kickass N Framer revolver with shot shells.

How many venomous snakes are we seeing in new england that we need to kill them?

in massachusetts timber rattlesnakes and copperheads are protected so avoiding them is your best bet.

If youre set on getting a snake gun id go for a kickass N Framer revolver with shot shells.
Tennessee Memphis/Mississippi/Eastern Arkansas area

Supposedly copper heads and water moccasins are pretty common there...plus a few rattlers

On the few occasions in my well traveled life that I actually saw a venomous snake I just took a picture and went on my way.
Which I'm not even doing that lol I'm just going about my merry way if I'm out hiking. However having a baby crawling around my yard makes me not want to have them in my yard. The non water ones are very colorful my son will be on that like white on rice.

No matter how short the bbl or how bizarre the gun, be sure to have a scope on it.

7afd30fa8f1c8300bf56046d20fb5441.jpg

Snake%27sMagnums.jpg

trust me a shovel is not as effective as you might think.

I had a pigmy rattler in my garage one night down here at my old house... I chased it around with a shovel for 5 minutes before it finally died.... the clanging of the shovel off the concrete sounded like the bells of St Mary's.

we have seen quite a few venomous snakes around here in our 9 years... you never walk in the grass in bare feet or open toed shoes/sandals, you never reach into a bush without beating it with a rake and wearing good gloves.... and on the golf course they are all over the place, especially in rocky areas.

Pool skimmers are approached with caution

They are not something we take lightly in these parts.

The wife's .22 is loaded with CCI shot shells

When you get to TN look for a derringer in .410, and some shot shells, not slugs, like the shorter ones made for the Taurus Judge. Number 6 shot in a .410 beats any pistol shot shell, which typically use #8 or #9 shot in a much smaller quantity.

When you get to TN look for a derringer in .410, and some shot shells, not slugs, like the shorter ones made for the Taurus Judge. Number 6 shot in a .410 beats any pistol shot shell, which typically use #8 or #9 shot in a much smaller quantity.
I'm in nh now so I'm looking to grab it and not pay sales tax... but 400 for a Derringer seems excessive lol.

Black racers aren't poisonous but they can be pretty aggressive. When I was young we had one in our tool shed. My dad grabbed a shovel to try to kill it. I remember it striking the shovel over and over very quickly.

This guy says they can move at 12mph.

Back
Top Bottom