Snake bitten???

I have Medicare Advantage Plan. I called my insurance and asked them what I should do if bitten. They told me to get to the emergency room as soon as I could and they would admit me and I would have to pay 75$ for the emergency room and a max of 275$ a day which the 75$ is included for a maximum of 5 days and while in the hospital the insurance will pay 100% of anything that is done for me. If I am in more than 5 days I don't owe a penny more. This includes all the anti-venum that is administered to me. If the hospital has no anti-venue it will be flown to me.

My advice is to call your insurance company and ask what your coverage will be and what you should do.

Don't step on snek: cost is zero dollars. Problem solved.
Kinda hard to foresee this type of things.
When I go mushroom picking, they are everywhere, this time of year.Copperheads and rattlers.
Will have to call the ins company as well, just in case.

Did you also ask them what to do if you get hit by lightning? Bitten by a rabid raccoon? If you get poison ivy on your nuts? There's a whole world of hypothetical emergencies that you might be totally unprepared for, so it is important to understand how the billing obligations are going to shake out ahead of time.

Kinda hard to foresee this type of things.
When I go mushroom picking, they are everywhere, this time of year.Copperheads and rattlers.
Will have to call the ins company as well, just in case.

Just in case what? You might be able to save a couple of bucks buying and stocking your own anti-venoms?

My point is what are you going to do about it if it doesn't? Stay inside? Stock the $11k/vial antivenom? Change insurance? Start saving your pennies?

the OP isn't totally wrong for checking as the OP stated they have Medicare Advantage Plan. There are plenty of restrictions in Medicare and Medicaid. That is why they sell gap insurance. It is always best to at the very least call and have an insurance associate familiar with your plan detail out potential instances. This was you know the costs you are responsible to cover.

A quote from that Steven Segal movie with the train. Assumption is the mother of all eff ups...

Never assume with your insurance coverage or it can cost you more than you expect...

Fair enough, but a snake bite is a pretty damn specific situation to research by phone with your insurance company. If your coverage sucks and has too many restrictions for all of life's various potential risks you'd probably want to upgrade on that basis, not on the basis of whether or not it covers a specific type of unusual event. Assuming of course OP isn't a snake wrangler, or doing the Indiana Jones thing.

Has there been a single documented venomous snake attack in MA?

Maybe this is it. LOL. Or he's going to stomp around the Blue Hills Reservation for a few days.

My advice find a plan where you pay nothing out of your pocket. Don't know about you but I don't have a spare $ 1500 laying around.

So you'd rather pay $600-800 more per year for insurance (if not more!) instead of maybe paying out $1,500 if you get. . . bit by a snake????

I haven't had a low-ish deductible plan since my daughter stopped competitive Irish Step Dancing. (Because she would HAMMER our FAMILY deductible/out-of-pocket-max annually.)

I have Medicare Advantage Plan. I called my insurance and asked them what I should do if bitten. They told me to get to the emergency room as soon as I could and they would admit me and I would have to pay 75$ for the emergency room and a max of 275$ a day which the 75$ is included for a maximum of 5 days and while in the hospital the insurance will pay 100% of anything that is done for me. If I am in more than 5 days I don't owe a penny more. This includes all the anti-venum that is administered to me. If the hospital has no anti-venue it will be flown to me.

My advice is to call your insurance company and ask what your coverage will be and what you should do.

Snake anti venom ? Where the heck do you live, in Texas ?

Fair enough, but a snake bite is a pretty damn specific situation to research by phone with your insurance company. If your coverage sucks and has too many restrictions for all of life's various potential risks you'd probably want to upgrade on that basis, not on the basis of whether or not it covers a specific type of unusual event. Assuming of course OP isn't a snake wrangler, or doing the Indiana Jones thing.

valid point for sure. maybe it's a rare or one time event and the OP just wanted to be sure since for most off us this would seem an out of the ordinary circumstance. But to your point, get a good plan that will cover you for most if not all scenarios.

Last edited:
If you don't want to get bitten by Snake...

Stay out of New York.

30074068_4.jpg

There are plenty of restrictions in Medicare and Medicaid. That is why they sell gap insurance.

Gap insurance is a relative thing when it comes to Medicare. IME most cover the balance left unpaid by Medicares’ 80/20 insurance. If Medicare doesn’t cover it the supplemental insurance usually doesn’t cover it either.
Bob

Maybe this is it. LOL. Or he's going to stomp around the Blue Hills Reservation for a few days.

So you'd rather pay $600-800 more per year for insurance (if not more!) instead of maybe paying out $1,500 if you get. . . bit by a snake????

I haven't had a low-ish deductible plan since my daughter stopped competitive Irish Step Dancing. (Because she would HAMMER our FAMILY deductible/out-of-pocket-max annually.)
I have a plan that covers everything Medicare doesn't cover and the cost per month is what I consider cheap. I've no deductibles/co pays for anything.

This is 2018. This is Assachusetts. There is no plan that is "getting the drop on" everyone else. Lower deductibles means a commensurate increase in cost. Not that it's a bad thing, if you need it and usually use it. (I'll use all of my deductibles this year. My wife had knee problems last month. Daughter fell off her horse last night. ER visit, X-rays, CT scan, yada yada. Ugh.). Even though I'm going to "lose" the deductible battle this year, I've won the war over the last several years of no-max-payout.

Insurance is supposed to cover, umm, unexpected sh*t that happens.... what's the difference between getting a snakebite and getting run over by an illegal driving an uninsured vehicle ?

[popcorn]

I just contacted my insurance company and told them of the anxiety I was experiencing from a fear of snake bites that I read about on NES, they said I was fully covered because I’m obviously insane.

Back
Top Bottom