Smoke Bombs at CMP New England Games Match

Mountain

NES Member
Figuratively, not literally- but had the same effect!

During my CMP New England Games Modern Mil match with the Bula M14, a guy one or two positions away was shooting ammo that was so smoky that it would obscure my target as it blew by. Was shooting with a Marine that I knew from previous matches, so of course he was laughing with (at) me while I had to wait for the smoke to clear during slow prone. Still cleaned the target 100-3X, but I'm going to use the crop dusting as an excuse for my 90 in rapids.

So is there any particular milsurp ammo that's ridiculously smoky? Most likely .30-06, but could be Mauser or Enfield food too. Is there a powder that's appropriate for milsurp calibers and is super smoky?

if he was shooting lead cast bullets the lube would be smokey. I haven't seen smokey 30-06 before

nice score btw!

Thanks- got a bronze! Really enjoyed building that M1A too.

I don't know what was smoking, but it was worst I've seen in a match like this. I think somebody had something a little less smoky once or twice at Pembroke- probably @mac1911 and his cast loads.

So that would be a greasy type of lube in the grooves of the cast bullets?

I often shoot Greek HXP surplus .30-06. My oldest case is '65 and neither it nor any other years of HXP smoke any more than recently made ammo.

I often shoot Greek HXP surplus .30-06. My oldest case is '65 and neither it nor any other years of HXP smoke any more than recently made ammo.

Yup, that greasy lube is why I stopped using cast lead bullets in my Thompson. I'd fire a 30rd mag and choke to death on the smoke.

Yes Pooosee ammo has some sort of wax/grease/lube
I use a bees wax /alox mix . Hey whats more pooosee than my cast loads............the ones that the smoke bothers them.
hahahahehehehahaha.
i have had some old 8mm and 303 that puked smoke.

Yes Pooosee ammo has some sort of wax/grease/lube
I use a bees wax /alox mix . Hey whats more pooosee than my cast loads............the ones that the smoke bothers them.
hahahahehehehahaha.
i have had some old 8mm and 303 that puked smoke.

There was a Mauser and Enfield or two in the general vicinity. Looked like I was at a black powder shoot, whatever was causing it. Maybe I should complain to CMP and ask for a new rule banning smoke screen ammo? LOL, no...

Maybe they saw you as a threat to win the match and used shmokee rounds to throw you off your game, get inside your head?

Edit: congrats on the medal, good job!

Lots of mosin's double as flame throwers with a lot of the surplus ammo out there......just sayin

especially the carbines! But I never see mine throw smoke like that, only see that with black powder and lead.

Back
Top Bottom