Smith & Wesson to Enter the Rifle Market But....

Are the, meaning S&W actually manufacturering it or just stamping thier name on someone elses parts? Silly if you ask me. Just like the 1911 models, how many differnt manufacturers of a particular model do we need? What is gonna differ from this and all other AR's? I'll gladly be passing on this joke too, and I CAN have them here. [wink]

I'm disappointed that it's going to be another AR. Don't get me wrong, I love a good AR-15, but when there are already a bajillion of them in the market, couldn't you come up with something better? :(

BlkHawk73 said:
Are the, meaning S&W actually manufacturering it or just stamping thier name on someone elses parts? Silly if you ask me. Just like the 1911 models, how many differnt manufacturers of a particular model do we need? What is gonna differ from this and all other AR's? I'll gladly be passing on this joke too, and I CAN have them here. [wink]

I kinda like having a bunch of manufactures making the same gun. I think it does a few things for us the shooter. It lets us buy the same gun as the guy next door but we can say mine is lighter, mine comes with better grips, or mine is a higher quality gun. It also help's the little companies that don't make guns but make acsesories for them.

Universal guns can also help keep the price down buy creating more competition. Not to say this will happen but just think of what Bushmaster would do if there sales dropped %7 or %8. They would start offering discounts, maybe free acsesories and stuff like that. Of course since most of us here are in Ma we would get screwed because the first thing they would offer would be something like free 20 or 30 rnd mags :x

I really think that you have to look at it from a marketing standpoint. They (sic) are calling this the M&P15 no doubt to try to capitalize on identification with their new M&P semi-automatic pistol. S&W would like to be a major player in the law enforcement market again, and the simple fact is that many agencies that use long guns, other than shotguns, have gone to an AR15 or M16 type weapon.

Colt, I think, is essentially being kept alive by government contracts for the M4 carbine. At present, there are no immediate plans to replace either the M16 or M4 in government service, although it looked that way about a year ago. For the near future, anyway our forty some year old main battle rifle remains the status quo, and like the ubiquitous M1 carbine will be around for decades in both military and law enforcement organizations even though it will have been replaced with something newer.

Like their (sic) M1911's, I'm sure that they will have a few new twists in the design which will be perceived as improvements.

As far as not being Mass compliant: a state with only six million people with rigid gun laws....it's all about the demographics. Who knows, maybe they will come out with a Mass Compliant model later.

Mark

I wonder if S&W has plans of making 6.8 uppers for the Gov't if the caliber change-over is seriously considered.
Would the new M&P15 be offered in a MA-compliant version? They did it for 1911s.
Free enterprize is a wonderful thing. S&W must have done thier homework on this. They've pulled a few real stupid moves in the past and know too well how easy it is to lose money resulting from poor policy.
I'm kinda curious to see what these things are gonna look like.

M1911 said:
They're making an AR15 clone. Sure would like to see someone make something new one of these days...

Beretta has something new coming that I've seen pictures of online (although I can't seem to find them now). It's in .223, uses AR mags, but it doesn't really look like an AR.

matt said:
Odd that there was an announcement, but nothing on the S&W web site.

Matt

There is an announcement on the S&W Web site. Here is the link

http://ir.smith-wesson.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=90977&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=805601&highlight=

All S&W press releases are under the "Investor" tab at the top. You can sign up for the releases to be e mailed to you and be the forst on your block to get it [wink]

The S&W release states it is geared toward LE. Expect to see Jerry Miculek using one in Three Gun Competition.

With input from Jerry, Ernest Langdon, and Doug Keonig they seem to be adding a lot to the product line.

Regards,

I found pics of the Beretta...

Rx4_800.jpg

JonJ said:
That is a fugly rifle. And the model looks a bit too butch.

Some of us actually LIKE the "tomboy" look. :)

As for the RIFLES' looks, I've noticed that the main interest in the Beretta CX4 Storms I've been selling has been to young guys in their early twenties - who all seem to be graduating up from PAINTBALL guns.

They all seem to want to trick them out with every bell and whistle, too.

I've been speculating on the effects that paintball will have on future firearms aesthetics.

Regards
John

Back
Top Bottom