Smith & Wesson shooting range closed?

I
Numerous shops in Las Vegas, ranging from the small to the very large have rental ranges. One thing I saw at one was a sign that no customer without a CCW could rent a lane and shoot alone, but unlicensed visitors were welcome in groups of 2 or more. I think the thought was someone renting a gun to commit suicide at a range.

From MFLR's site:
ONLY if you are alone AND plan to rent our firearms, you will need to present a certificate showing you have completed a course or have a LTC/CCW from a state that requires a course completion prior to certification.. If you bring a friend with you to the range, these restrictions do not apply.

Rob,

Another question if you don't mind. Handgun Law says that to apply in Az you must prove that you have had proper training. Does the fact that I fact that I have a permits from NY/Mass/PA/ME/NH/ID meet that requirement?

Thanks again,
Bob

Yes. My wife and I both have AZ CCW permits. She used her MA LTC and I used a copy of my DD-214 (already had it in pdf so it was easier than finding a copier at work that doesn't constantly jam).

Rob,

Another question if you don't mind. Handgun Law says that to apply in Az you must prove that you have had proper training. Does the fact that I fact that I have a permits from NY/Mass/PA/ME/NH/ID meet that requirement?

Thanks again,
Bob

Just a bit of advice to anyone who has gotten a permit or LTC recently. Put your NRA Basic Pistol class certification certificate somewhere safe. Many states will take that certificate, no matter how old it is. You simply never know when you may need it.

Just a bit of advice to anyone who has gotten a permit or LTC recently. Put your NRA Basic Pistol class certification certificate somewhere safe. Many states will take that certificate, no matter how old it is. You simply never know when you may need it.

GOOD ADVICE. I was able to find my documentation after a brief search. Also wasn't aware that I could have used my DD-214 which I also found. Keep these things in a vault for safe keeping.

A friend works over at S&W and he let me know that the shooting sports center will be re opened soon (within a month)

Good news since I joined 2 weeks before they closed and today I got my credit card bill for the 1 year membership!
S&W is known for their customer service but in this instsance their communication with range members is poor.

Good news since I joined 2 weeks before they closed and today I got my credit card bill for the 1 year membership!
S&W is known for their customer service but in this instsance their communication with range members is poor.

S&W's communication on this whole topic has been abysmal. I have written to both the president and head of investor relations and have not received a personal reply. As far as I am concerned they have dropped the ball on this whole incident, other than releasing a statement on their website with some FAQs which address your concern.

Let's hope that as they regain their stature in the LE market they don't sell out the American shooter which they did back in the 1990's in a vain attempt to gain government contracts.

S&W's communication on this whole topic has been abysmal. I have written to both the president and head of investor relations and have not received a personal reply. As far as I am concerned they have dropped the ball on this whole incident, other than releasing a statement on their website with some FAQs which address your concern.

This would tend to hint at some sort of legal issue, rather than just a business decision, necessitating that any statement be cleared by legal counsel.

Sort of like asking the "old GOAL" questions about newsletter arrangements :).

I'm beginning to wonder if I should take them up on their offer for a (pro-rated) refund, but I also want to stay on the membership rolls. Haven't heard anything from S&W about progress on reopening as private facility.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should take them up on their offer for a (pro-rated) refund, but I also want to stay on the membership rolls. Haven't heard anything from S&W about progress on reopening as private facility.

I imagine you received the same letter most of us that are members received? If I recall correctly, they spoke of reopening sometime in mid july? What is it you are looking for them to tell you, it's june 24th.... somewhere around mid July, I expect to possibly hear something. If you are a member then you must live close by.... I stopped in last week when I was heading up 291 and saw lots of work trucks there, many of which had to do with enviromental clean-up... I suspect they are cleaning the lead out of the place, maybe redoing the range and when they reopen... it'll be better than ever. If it doesn't happen and it never reopens, oh well, I'm sure we will get refunds..
Heck, I had 2 guns on layaway... no one knew anything when I called... I'll deal with it when they open.. I got faith in S&W.

Actually I was at the factory Saturday and I was told that they are totally redoing the range, and they are also remodeling the museum at the factory. Since I have no interest in the Shield; I didn't ask when the Ma**h*** version will be ready.

I imagine you received the same letter most of us that are members received? If I recall correctly, they spoke of reopening sometime in mid july? What is it you are looking for them to tell you, it's june 24th.... somewhere around mid July, I expect to possibly hear something. If you are a member then you must live close by.... I stopped in last week when I was heading up 291 and saw lots of work trucks there, many of which had to do with enviromental clean-up... I suspect they are cleaning the lead out of the place, maybe redoing the range and when they reopen... it'll be better than ever. If it doesn't happen and it never reopens, oh well, I'm sure we will get refunds..
Heck, I had 2 guns on layaway... no one knew anything when I called... I'll deal with it when they open.. I got faith in S&W.
A letter was sent to members???? I never got one and when I've called S&W customer service for information I get next to no information.
They have handled this poorly and that's being generous.

I was wondering about the SC Range and the Shield so I called the number I have for the guy that was/is the shooting center manager.

Someone that works there answered, he said they have no idea when it is going to reopen right now, I told him we have been told July and he said "No Way Will It Be Reopened By Then".

I also asked about the SHIELD and he said they are not getting any info from S&W right now so he / they have no idea when it will be out in MASS.

UPDATE:

I called the Smith & Wesson Shooting Sports Center yesterday and spoke to a employee.

I told him I never received a letter but my brother did.

He told me I slipped through the cracks and he did not see my membership on his list. I know I was in the computer because that's how I checked in during the last four years.

I renewed in February gold membership and kept the receipt behind my LTC because last time I renewed they misplaced the paperwork and I had to show a canceled check.

Now the gentlman informs me "it looks like we will not reopen to the public at this point there is nonthing to indicate reopening" to send a copy of my receipt and apply for a refund.

I asked what they would do with the place and he said it would probably be used for employees and training Law Enforcement.

I said they should reconsider and he said it wasn't up to him, it was up to Bean Counters and Lawyers and upper Management.

I sent the letter.

Then I called the 1-800 factory number to speak with a customer service rep. he said all members were notified and Smith & Wesson has nothing to do with the Shooting Sports Center they are seperate not the same.

So I asked how he would Know if I was sent a letter or not if they were seperate? And not the same? Or owned by them?

Anyways Smith & Wesson sounds like they are dropping the Shooting Center like a hot potato. I wish and hope I am wrong but after these phone calls it sounds dismal at best.

I've been there when they had reserved lanes for executives and they expect me to now believe they are not the same company or owned by them?

Write in and ask for a refund if you were a member. Call and bitch if you want but they don't seem to care. I wiill write the CEO and complain about the way my membership was handled and I'm sure he will not care.

Last edited:
This all has to be the result of a liability issue. S&W, Inc must be concerned about their exposure and I'll be dollars to donuts that their carrier told them to abandon any affiliaton.

In all honesty, however, the fact that we here in CT were being weaned off of S&W shooting center because of the arcane interpretations of MA firearms laws is what stopped us from going. I mentioned early on how much that facility meant to us over the years we attended. I learned so much from going there not just with fun shooting but also the instruction I got from their rifle program years back. It's really too bad because on a cold, bustery winter day, driving 15minutest to Springfield and shooting for a few hours was lots of fun and gave us an outlet to enjoy our firearms in a safe, clean, well run operation. From what I've read here, however, it began to lose that professionalism and it was losing its attractiveness to serious shooters. Now, combine all that with the gang issue in Springfield and supposedly some BGs "practicing" there, and it's not a big leap to thing that liability because the major concern. The last few times we went we were really, seriously concerned about being stopped either on the way in or the way out. That took the fun out of an otherwise enjoyable visit.

Rome

A good friend who lived in Enfield used to be a member. Then the hassles of annual renewal and a trip to Boston pushed him away. He still did the weekly IDPA matches for years.

Its a great facility, with fantastic intructors. It will be missed.

I wonder what will happen to the big IDPA match.

This all has to be the result of a liability issue. S&W, Inc must be concerned about their exposure and I'll be dollars to donuts that their carrier told them to abandon any affiliaton.

My guess it's a lot more than just liability. There are probably other factors at play here that we'll never hear about. Maybe it wasn't that profitable, either.

-Mike

Last edited:
As I've written on this thread and others, S&W has failed miserably in communicating with the range members. I've never received a letter and have gotten complete opposite responses as to opening, not opening, who knows when if ever.....etc
if this was any other membership driven type operation, like a gym, and not a company that so many of us love the firearms they produce, I'd be contacting the Attorney Generals Ofcice filing a consumer fraud complaint!
Come on S&W, bleep or get off the pot!

Last edited:
Somewhat unrelated but called abt sending in a gun and was told the facility was pretty much shut down for 2 weeks (this is week 2)... wtf

Stopped by today while I was in Springhole to see for myself. Enjoyed over the years counter surfing the glass when I had time to kill, gawking at the pistols. Place was locked up tight, sad times.

Not sure if this has been added to the rumor mill or not: I asked a guy who works at S&W when the heck it was going to open again, he said "the range will never be open to the public again". Looks like it's going to be pay to play.

I'm looking to join a range in my area for instruction and get more experience. Looking at Fairview in Granby or Easthampton RG club, if anyone can help a newb out with info/in's/outs please PM me, that would be appreciated. [grin]

Last edited:
Fairview is a nice club; I was briefly a member there. They've got a plinking range for handguns, and a rifle range that can go out to 300 yards. They've got a pond that they stock, a clubhouse and pavilion, and a shotgun range with organized events.

My kids liked the plinking range with the steel rabbits and other falling targets. Membership was very reasonable.

Using Forum Runner. Please excuse spelling errors, formatting, and absent links.

I just talked to customer service and the Rep said they should be re-opening by the end of the month. The range will no longer be open to the public, an annual membership will be required to shoot there, which has been assumed since they abruptly closed.

I just talked to customer service and the Rep said they should be re-opening by the end of the month. The range will no longer be open to the public, an annual membership will be required to shoot there, which has been assumed since they abruptly closed.

The customer service people just don't know what's going on. Last week I spoke to the person who is/was in charge of the range who said they are NOT opening anytime in the near future. I'm still waiting for a refund that he said he would process for me since I signed up for a 1 year membership just 2 weeks before they closed.

Back
Top Bottom