Smith & Wesson MP-15 and Stag Arms AR?

Looking around for a carbine (for IDPA) and I really like the looks of the S&W MP-15. However, I've read a few reports that this is manufactured, and based on, the Stag Arms range of rifles. Can anyone tell me if that's true, and if so what the differences are? The Stag Arms equivalent models are considerably cheaper.

From what I can find, at first Stag did much of the production, but now Smith and Wesson is doing most of the work in house, although probably with Stag tooling.

S&W uses harder steel for their barrels.

Last edited:
Thanks. Would you recommend one? There's so much choice out there. The Sig 556 rifle also looks nice, if not a little pricey. Decisions, decisions...

I haven't shot either although my dad does have a Sig 556 and it looks and feels really nice. Amazing trigger.

Personally, I would go with a Smith over a Stag, but that may be because I own a lot of S&Ws already.

stag makes an awesome rifle

save yourself the money and get a stag then spend what you save on accessories

i run a stag upper on my carbine and its awesome

Zero experience with ARs. I would buy a S&W simply for the warranty. They stand behind the things they make no questions asked.

Zero experience with ARs. I would buy a S&W simply for the warranty. They stand behind the things they make no questions asked.

Ya, I love the fact that S&W is so close, If I ever have a problem I can just drive over and drop off and pick-up, no hassles with shipping and the people there are always nice from my experience.

I agree with the warranty aspect. There are alot of companies out their that make AR-15 stuff. The reasons I prefer LMT over most like Stag, Bushmaster, etc.

- LMT has been making stuff for the US Military and Government for years
- LMT Uppers are Mil-spec 1/7 twist rate and Mil-Spec profiled Stag uppers are all 1/9 twist rate except the 6.8 model.

I had a Colt Sp1 lower and wanted a great quality Mil-Spec M-4 upper, why not buy what I had in the military that worked flawlessly. The great think about ARs there is alot of selection out there for whatever type of build or application you wanna do.

Last edited:
LMT...Can't say I've heard of them. Can you provide a link to their website?

Edit...
Ahh...Lewis Machine and Tool....Got it!!!

Last edited:
big +1 on LMT products I have a 10.5 and am planning on building another one. Also if you can find one BCM made some great uppers same specs as LMT but about 60 dollars cheaper I have a 14.5 and its as good as my LMT. Stag is great for the money I believe its about $525 for a complete upper with arms flip up BUIS (cant really beat that price anywhere LMT uppers are $485 with no bolt group, charging handle, or even hand guards let alone a $100 BUIS). For reasons already stated I wont own a stag because they no longer make 14.5" barrels and are 1/9 twist. Stags are very good uppers at a very good price I am just real anal about what I put in to my builds.

I'm not sure I want to venture into the buying separate uppers and lowers YET (I'm pretty new to this game). Looks like I'm erring on the S&W or Stag side...probably the S&W as their warrantee seems pretty good.

The reasons I prefer LMT over most like Stag, Bushmaster, etc....

I had a Colt Sp1 lower and wanted a great quality Mil-Spec M-4 upper, why not buy what I had in the military that worked flawlessly...

Continental Machine and Tool, who consequently owns Stag Arms makes lowers for Colt, Rock River and Smith & Wesson's new M&P. They also do military contract uppers. Stag Arms is CMT's commercial division. All those parts are made by Continental Machine and Tool and then get the Stag Arms, Rock River, S&W or Colt logo stamped on them.

Rock River Arms offers uppers which 1 x 9,8 and 7" depending on the model as options. They don't however offer a 14 1/2 barrel.

I'm not sure I want to venture into the buying separate uppers and lowers YET (I'm pretty new to this game). Looks like I'm erring on the S&W or Stag side...probably the S&W as their warrantee seems pretty good.

It is SUPER simple. Even I did it. It involves nothing more than you'll do as part of cleaning the rifle. Don't that that stop you. We're talking 2 pins that are meant to be taken out with a .223 round as the only tool.

Looking around for a carbine (for IDPA) and I really like the looks of the S&W MP-15. However, I've read a few reports that this is manufactured, and based on, the Stag Arms range of rifles. Can anyone tell me if that's true, and if so what the differences are? The Stag Arms equivalent models are considerably cheaper.

The MP-15 is NATO 5.56 and .223 REM. It is very accurate with a 1 in 9 twist for the short barrel. My son has an EOTECH sight on the front and a 4x magnifier on the back. This setup IS pricey, the sights are more than the rifle, but that is not unusual. There is an AA alkaline battery setup, or others, depending on your choice. If you miss a long 300 yard shot, it is you and not the rifle. With a heavier boat tail, it is accurate even further out. RIght now, he is shooting 55 gr rated at 3240 fps out of a 24 inch barrel and 45 gr rated at 3600 fps. His new reloader just came yesterday and he is setting it up now. The magnifier can be flipped out of the way for a shot, left on for the shot, or removed very easily and just leave on the base. The zero is largely independent of the magnifier, with the exception when you use the magnifier, you will be able to trim your zero because you can see the target better. My son is about to buy a second one, same setup, before you know who puts the EBR back on the ban list.

Pip, I've been shooting this S&W M&P 15FT for six months and have about 2,000 rounds through it. I shoot both brass and steel-cased ammo through it with great results. The Eotech 512 is a natural fit for this carbine, and as I wear bifocals, it makes target acquisition very easy. It is light and handles well, looks as good as the day I bought it. [smile]

DSC00414.jpg

For what its worth: Black guns magazine last month did a comparison of all the popular AR15 types as far as what has the most Mil Spec parts, and S&W (which I agreee started out as mostly a Stag mfg) was more to mil spec than all but 3 mfgs, I believe the top 2 were Colt and LMT, the S&W was more to mil spec than Stag, Bushmaster, etc. Pipmaster, If you can wait until the beginning of the week I will scan the whole article (as well as a secondary on only the S&W) and email it to you in a .pdf. Please PM me with your current email. The S&W now is all in house.

Pip, its pretty easy.

step 1

get a quality Mil-Spec complete lower (dont have to install the LPK). LMT, Sabre Defence and Spikes Tactical seem to be the big favorites. Get the grip and stock you wish (I prefer the Magpul MIAD for grip and the CTR or UBR for the stock).

Step 2

Get a High quality upper. BCM, Noveske, LMT, Colt are the most common as far as quality, and the new Charles Daly DM4-LE is getting some great reviews. Examine the BCG to make its properly staked, if not send it off to a gunsmith to have it properly staked (or buy a MOACKS that does it).

Step 3

Put them together.

You will pay more but you get what you pay for. Stag, RRA etc. are all fine and dandy for plinking and general range time but I am building SHTF guns so the standard I will hold my parts to is higher.

For example is the Bolt Carrier Group. Stag, RRA, Larue etc make some good products but they batch test on the Magnetic Particle Inspection and High Pressure Test on the bolts, barrels etc. When you buy a BCM, Colt, LMT these parts are individually tested and as such the price goes up.

M4Carbine.net has put up what they call The Chart and look there to help you make some decisions.

I am currently progressing my build in the Build it Yourself section of the website. I plan to go step by step showing before and after photos of two ARs. I hope to give feedback on the parts I used as well as the place I have them.

Between Stag and S&W I would get the S&W hands down. I would just grab a Mil-Spec barrel and be happy.

If you have ANY questions about it, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom