• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Smith & Wesson Model 22A......Any thoughts?

Local gun shop has one for $300 new with the nice wood target grip, which I found really comfortable. Any reliability issues?

107431_01_lg.jpg

$300 Sound reasonable? I know that the Smith site Lists them at $319 msrp. But you never know if a dealer is getting a better deal because they buy more than 1.

Great gun for the money. I shot Danrk's a few times and always hit what I was aiming for. Nice feel to it.

Also check out the older High Stardard pistols, generally made in Connecticut. You can get them for a little more money. I have a High Standard Military 106 and it is a very accurate handgun and built like a freaking tank. They'll take a licking and keep on ticking.

It's a pretty good gun for a .22 but I still prefer the Ruger Mark II.

I love mine. Took a couple thousand rounds to break it in. Not a big deal with the ammo cost.
Remember to change out the buffer every 2k rounds or so (S&W will send them to you for free, you just have to call).

Great little plinker for the money.

Local gun shop has one for $300 new with the nice wood target grip, which I found really comfortable. Any reliability issues?

107431_01_lg.jpg

The wood grips are the only way you can buy them new in MA.
I bought mine used at a gun show with the rubber grips.
It was my first gun. I absolutely love it! I am very accurate with it. Not so much with the Sig Sauer Mosquito (which fits wonderfully in my hand but just is not accurate for me).

I bought mine about ten years ago. It was the first gun for my wife and I (and the only one we agree on). It was great. Accuracy was reasonable. We used it for plinking and that was about it.
I tried a set of the wood grips (thanks to one of hte members here) and I was amazed how HUGE they are.
The rubber ones are not that expensive from S&W.
Aloha,
Doug

Wood grip a little bulky, I changed to the rubber soft grip. Extreemly accurate but stove pipes occasionally.
collectors coin had them for under $300. Ok for a starter pistol.

Last edited:
Sportsman, The model you have pictured was my first gun. Had it for several years and fired at least a few thousand rounds through it with out any issue.

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I still get mixed reviews at every gun shop saying they hear far to many complaints about mag feed problems. Anyone else have any input on this?

Can't say I have had many feed issues with mine.
I have had my share of failure to fire but I put that more to an ammo issue.

I have put many thousands of round thru mine and still love it.
Hope this helps.

I bought a 22A and a Mk III 22/45 the same day. The latter is gone. The former still sits in my safe, next to the Model 41.

I've had one for 3-4 years,it's accurate ,lots of stove pipes lot of problems until about a thousand rounds. OK plinker,I wouldn't buy another one and I paid 199 for it new.

1000's of rounds through mine with almost zero issues. Any issues I did have I could attribute to the ammo I was using at the time.

Bought mine new,has the large wood grips which i wasn't excited about at first but i used a socket and some sandpaper and took the bulkiness out of the grips to fit my hand and now love them. shoots very well,only has issues if i let it get real dirty or put cheeso remington ammo thru it.It runs well with federal ammo and has been great fun to shoot. S/W will send out buffer pads with a phone call. buy one you will be happy with it for the money.

\

Back
Top Bottom