Smith & Wesson M&P semi-autos

If I get the M&P I'll send it to Derr, sad thing is I own property in MarshVegas but I can't hand carry the gun into MA, to a place that is almost in my back yard.

when i move to a free state, i'm going to bring some "rare" collectable 10# trigger and 10 round magazine items to auction [laugh]

Lots of good info in this thread. Thanks, everyone.

Does anyone have experience with the M&P 9mm Pro Series (178010 product code)? Is the trigger that much better than a stock M&P (non-Mass compliant; ie: normal trigger)?

I'm sold on the full-size M&P9, but I wonder if the Pro Series is worth the extra money.

Fly, I've never seen any of these special series in person, however from reading some posts by experts in all things S&W on the mp-pistol.com forum, they appear to have a somewhat customized trigger/sear system that makes the OOB experience totally unlike the more common models.

For the many MA readers, it is my understanding by the S&W insiders that S&W will never make these models MA compliant as the 10+# triggers totally defeats the purpose of these guns in the marketplace (competition). Apparently they won't meet the onerous "target gun" exemption either (we should have asked that last week when we were at S&W).

Todd Louis Green http://pistol-training.com/ is an excellent source of inside info on the M&Ps. He posts frequently on the MP-Pistol forum. I haven't perused his entire site, but expect you'll find a lot of info on the special M&P series guns there. He recently did a torture test of a stock M&P 9 (with MA trigger) >60K rds thru it.

Does anyone have experience with the M&P 9mm Pro Series (178010 product code)? Is the trigger that much better than a stock M&P (non-Mass compliant; ie: normal trigger)?

I'm sold on the full-size M&P9, but I wonder if the Pro Series is worth the extra money.

The Smith and Wesson “Pro-Series” is the product line between “Standard” and “Performance Center” models. As an example, I have three versions of the 357 magnum 686; a stock 686, a 686SSR Pro Series, and a Performance Center model. While the stock 686 is, in my opinion, the gold standard of revolvers, many decide to tweak it with improvements such as a trigger job, fiber optic sights, and chamfered cylinders. This is what the Pro-Series model provides right out of the box and saves both time and money in shipping it out for extra work. The Performance Center models are made into the best of the best, including full action jobs, removable sights, and top quality finishes. In a nutshell, the Pro Series is all about the extras on an already fabulous gun, and it’s all about top quality in the Performance Center models. Simply put, depending on your needs, good, better, best.

i already love my mp. Only job i've got on it is the trigger job. Other than that it's an awesome hand gun beside some of the 1911's i've shot. i sold my glock 23 after trying someone elses's mp's at the range. I dont regret it one bit. :)

i have a full size .45. easy to conceal, very accurate with a good trigger job. For the extra money, i probably would do the sight, crimson laser grips.

Thanks for all the info.

I told my dealer to order one for me, but it might take awhile. None of his distributors have the M&P9 Pro in stock. Oh, well, I can wait.

WTF there is not a spare hi cap 9MM for sale anywhere.

I know S&W is running the 2 free mags with purchase rebate program, but I looked at every place on the internet for one and they are either out of stock or not listed at all. S&W must be holding all the inventory back for the production line or fulfillment of the rebate offer.

Full Disassembly instruction for a M&P

For those of you that want to work on your M&P handgun, there are five pages from a magazine article may be of some use. They are too big for the site. If anyone needs that send me an email to [email protected] and I will send them to you

I know I'm off track here, but I have to say that my S&W M&P shoots like a dream. Its' trigger pull is like silk sliding on ice.

Of course it was made in 1905, and is a .38 caliber revolver..... but hey... if it works don't fix it!!!

Should you get one, please let me know what you think. Maybe I'll get one too.

Picked it up last week. [smile]

I haven't been to the range, yet, but I do like it so far, with a minor exception. The take-up on the trigger is gritty, almost like it was finished roughly. I haven't detail stripped the pistol, because I don't know how, so I can't tell for sure what is making the gritty feel. Hopefully, that will smooth out after some firing. Once past the take-up, I do like the trigger. It can't compare to my 1911 triggers, but it is better than a Glock or XD, in my opinion.

I do like the green fiber optic type front sight; it really stands out and gets my attention. I had been toying with the idea of getting one for one of my 1911s. I'll have to shoot the M&P for awhile to see if I really like it, but for now it is good to go.

Somebody will ask, so here is the answer: $630. The standard M&P9 was quoted at $615. I was surprised at the small difference in price.

Jim,
i purchased a mp9mm about a month ago, and was shocked at how much force it took on the trigger, because when i researched the specs prior to purchase, it appeared to be 6.5 lbs stock which i was ok with. unfortunately, after i did more research i discovered i had been sold a massachusetts spec'd model, which as we know is spec'd at 10, but feels much heavier. took it back to dealer today, complained about getting a non standard massachusetts compliant model( i live in new jersey). he advised he is shipping it back to S&W requesting conversion back to standard 6.5...do you know if S&W will charge for this? above you mention sending it back, which infers its a no charge free modification? it was so bad with the Mass trigger, i figure i will be fairly happy with the standard, after it breaks in. otherwise my wife and i like the fit and great ergonomics.....but the trigger spoils this great feel..

Jim,
i purchased a mp9mm about a month ago, and was shocked at how much force it took on the trigger, because when i researched the specs prior to purchase, it appeared to be 6.5 lbs stock which i was ok with. unfortunately, after i did more research i discovered i had been sold a massachusetts spec'd model, which as we know is spec'd at 10, but feels much heavier. took it back to dealer today, complained about getting a non standard massachusetts compliant model( i live in new jersey). he advised he is shipping it back to S&W requesting conversion back to standard 6.5...do you know if S&W will charge for this? above you mention sending it back, which infers its a no charge free modification? it was so bad with the Mass trigger, i figure i will be fairly happy with the standard, after it breaks in. otherwise my wife and i like the fit and great ergonomics.....but the trigger spoils this great feel..

Just get an apex kit. The free-state trigger sucks too(I owned one).

George
S&W will fix any of their firearms for no charge. You do not need the dealer to send it for you.
Just call S&W Customer Service, they will send you a RMA service and will pay the shipping both ways.
If the dealer is charging you anything, send it yourself

You may not have a Mass firearm, since I have seen many with 16 to 18 pound trigger pulls and one with a 22 pounds trigger pull.

While S&W will adjust the trigger pull weight, you will still have a gritty trigger with no discernible trigger reset. If you can live with the grittiness fine. Just install the Apex Tactical RAM kit ($23.00) and get a real trigger reset. If you still do not like the trigger, then install the Apex Carry kit (89.99) and get a superb trigger set at 4.5 pounds

BTW, I have shot M&Ps with trigger jobs by all of the major gunsmiths, and none of them are even close to the Apex Carry kit with the RAM

I strongly suggest that none of you purchase a S&W M&P. Over the past 6 months, in the course of courses, private lessons or coaching, i have shot a lot of them. For a gun sold in Massachusetts, the M&P is suppose to have a 10 pound trigger pull. I have yet to find one with a 10 pound trigger pull. I have found that the average trigger pull is about 15 pounds and found one the was about 20 pounds.
S&W has done a major disservice to the MA shooting community by allowing such monstrosities our of the plant.

You must remember that the most important interface between the firearm and the shooter is the trigger. There guns are very hard formost people to shoot with any reasonable accuracy and then only slowly.
If you must buy an M&P, please plan to send the gun to Dan Burwell (http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/) for a trigger job and to have the magazine disconnect removed.

Oddly this problem only seems to happen to guns that are MA compliant. I have a number of friends in other parts of the country that are very satisfied with the trigger pulls on their M&Ps

I just got my LTC last October. Prior to that I had never fired a handgun in my life. I went with the M&P 9c for my first purchase. I've never had trigger work done. I now have about 2,500-3k rounds through the gun (with 0 malfunctions). I can put all 10 rounds consistently in the black on a slow fire pistol target at a distance of 25 feet. I've also practiced defensive shooting with silhouettes at various distances and I can hit center mass effectively drawing and firing quickly. The only other handgun that I own (or have ever fired) is my Sig Mosquito which also has the Mass. compliant trigger. I can usually put all 10 rounds on paper using a slow fire pistol target at fifty feet shooting in double action.
My point is that I really disagree with your write off of the M&P. The Mass. trigger can be mastered with practice. Right now I really don't know what any other trigger pull feels like so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. I have considered getting the trigger done on the M&P but I don't want to be without the gun for even one day as it's my only carry gun right now. I guess that's an excuse to go buy another gun.......

The problem is that dealing with the MA trigger in any fashion is best described as a horrendous waste of time and resources. There's no real excuse to not get the guns repaired, especially now with the APEX kits being available.

-Mike

I agree with Mike. The APEX kit is actually pretty easy to put in. The only hard part for me was getting the rear sight off. That thing was on there. The videos explain the process pretty well. I like knowing how things work, so getting into the guts of it was pretty fun.

The M&P is a solid platform in its original design. THe 10+LB trigger was never part of the original design.change out the crappy Ma trigger and it gets much better.

Rick Roma
I have not written off the M&P and am carrying one as I write this
With the Apex Carry kit and their trigger reset module, it is a very good gun

My whole message was and is if you buy one with a MA trigger, plan on spending about $100.00 and have a great gun. BTW, almost all of my friends in other states have now installed the Apex parts

When I attended the S&W M&P armorers class this year I was told in the future M&P's would be coming with a newly desiged trigger with a much more positive reset. I was told to expect to see it by fall. YMMV

Rick Roma

My whole message was and is if you buy one with a MA trigger, plan on spending about $100.00 and have a great gun. BTW, almost all of my friends in other states have now installed the Apex parts

I'm going to have to try out a trigger job and see what I'm missing.........

When I attended the S&W M&P armorers class this year I was told in the future M&P's would be coming with a newly desiged trigger with a much more positive reset. I was told to expect to see it by fall. YMMV

The thing that I'm dreading is that it seems like they've also gone to a new barrel hood, and the guns are unlocking too early in 9mm. Any chance they said anything about this?

Rick Roma

Actually this statement bears no relation to your original post - way to backpeddle though. Credibility = 0.

Back
Top Bottom