• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm. Any suggestions on a trigger job?

Two weeks ago I purchased a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm. Nice pistol but it as the worst trigger I have ever experienced before on any pistol I have fired.

Any suggestions on a trigger job? Dont like the long creep. Or the hard pull the end.

Two weeks ago I purchased a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm. Nice pistol but it as the worst trigger I have ever experienced before on any pistol I have fired.

careful with those words. Some people around here are super touchy about their fanboism for the m&p...

and with that- I suggest you try out the trigger jobs before you buy in. There are quite a few differences between them. I have a Apex'd m&p 9mm that you can spank all you want and decide if it's for you. PM me if you want to hit up a range sometime. I'll be at the Comm2A shoot, too.

FWIW- I did the Apex kit because I didn't have the time to mess with a gunsmith since I am my own nightmare when it comes to gunsmithing. But if you go with Santurri, or Derr- they will get the trigger to exactly how you want it to feel. Want a 3 lbs pull? They'll get it there.

careful with those words. Some people around here are super touchy about their fanboism for the m&p...

and with that- I suggest you try out the trigger jobs before you buy in. There are quite a few differences between them. I have a Apex'd m&p 9mm that you can spank all you want and decide if it's for you. PM me if you want to hit up a range sometime. I'll be at the Comm2A shoot, too.

FWIW- I did the Apex kit because I didn't have the time to mess with a gunsmith since I am my own nightmare when it comes to gunsmithing. But if you go with Santurri, or Derr- they will get the trigger to exactly how you want it to feel. Want a 3 lbs pull? They'll get it there.

LOL - no fanboi here. [smile] Besides, I think Glocks have fanbois - M&P's just have fans... [wink]

I agree - it really is a horrendous trigger. However, I knew that going in and knew I could fix it through Greg Derr Burwell, or in my case - Apex. I went the Apex route and am now thrilled with the gun. Why should you buy a gun and have to put a new trigger in it? You shouldn't, but this is MA and MA sucks, so for $80 bucks, I have a trigger that rocks and still remained on a budget. Gun, trigger kit and 4-mags for around 500-bucks works out pretty swell...I look at this gun as a tool in the toolbox and it works great...[cheers]

ETA: I'll be at the Comm2A shoot as well, so you are free to give my M&P9 a whirl. I've got a few thousand rounds through it and it just runs like a champ...

Last edited:
Apex kit. Piece of cake of install (except for the damn trigger return spring), and cheaper than a lot of the other options.

Larocca and Derr do good work, as well.

and yes, I like my M&P, but prior to installing the Apex it was the worst trigger I'd ever squeezed. I knew it was bad going in, but yeesh...

Apex duty kit. Is that kit all you need or are there more parts I need to get from them?

The kit is all you need. But for an extra 25 bucks or so, you can buy their RAM kit as well (Reset Assist Mechanism) - it's drop in, need to take out the sear block - which is already out for the duty/carry. It makes the reset on the trigger easily noticeable.

I have the Comp Apex with the RAM Kit. HIGHLY Recommended!!!! 3-1/2lb trigger pull. The trigger squeeze is like breaking glass rods. I can't talk highly enough about Apex products. Apex made my safe queen into my favorite range pistol. Like night and day!!

I bought the Carry kit with the Comp spring add on kit. You can mix and match springs to get the pull you want.

Borrow someones Nagant revolver, it'll feel like the smoothest lightest piece of heaven you can imagine after shooting one of those [smile]

I have an Apex and the difference is drastic, but have no experience with any of the gunsmith trigger jobs. Any way you decide to go will be a big improvement.

Silly question, but why knowingly buy a gun with a poor trigger?
I bought my Sigma before a joined here and wish I had done some research first.

Thank you for all your input and advice.

I have always modified my firearms after I bought them. I was expecting to do the same on this one. Any new pistol you buy in Massachusetts will be Massachusetts compliant. Before I bought mine I did have a chance to fire someone else’s. Thought it was good little shooter. He did have a trigger job. Dont remember what it was. I just asked the question to see what other people have done with theirs. For me is just needs a little work to get it just the way I want it. Do most modifications myself. I do not regret buying this pistol.

In a semi-hijack...

I have a MP-9c that I won here last July4th. I shot it 50 times with the stock trigger and then put in the APEX kit (that I also won here) and it was night and day.

Last week I shot a bone stock free state MP-9c and it was AWESOME...even better than the mass compliant gun with the APEX trigger. S&W really did it right with this gun for 48 states.

Silly question, but why knowingly buy a gun with a poor trigger?
I bought my Sigma before a joined here and wish I had done some research first.

I prefer the feel of the M&P to a Glock. I could get the M&P right then, new, or wait until a G17 or 19 showed up, used. Drop in the trigger, I'd be at about the same price, and have a gun I like better.
Yes, there is the lack of high cap mags, but I bought it for shooting games, so I won't be loading more than 10, anyway.

Installed the APEX Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit (DCAEK) and the MP_RAM. What a difference. It is a completely different pistol. I found it easy to install. Much more accurate. Love this gun.

I have a newbie question. I've searched the forums but haven't found any discussions about this.

How is a trigger job legal in Massachusetts? If the state requires the gun to have X trigger in order to be legal to sell, how is the state then ok with changing the trigger back as soon as it's sold?

AS long as it's sold with the 10lb trigger the state is happy ...welcome to the world of gun control
I have a newbie question. I've searched the forums but haven't found any discussions about this.

How is a trigger job legal in Massachusetts? If the state requires the gun to have X trigger in order to be legal to sell, how is the state then ok with changing the trigger back as soon as it's sold?

I have posted on this topic enough that I'm thinking of having my response tattooed somewhere. Here it is:

"Lots and lots of opinions out there on this. It's been covered extensively on the boards. I've done the Apex job on both my M&P9c and M&P45 and couldn't be happy. I've also installed the RAM on my 9 which I highly recommend. Here are some links to previous threads you should find helpful

RAM Install Review

Greg Derr vs. Apex Debate

Apex Kit Review"

I have posted on this topic enough that I'm thinking of having my response tattooed somewhere. Here it is:

"Lots and lots of opinions out there on this. It's been covered extensively on the boards. I've done the Apex job on both my M&P9c and M&P45 and couldn't be happy. I've also installed the RAM on my 9 which I highly recommend. Here are some links to previous threads you should find helpful

RAM Install Review

Greg Derr vs. Apex Debate

Apex Kit Review"

What he said. I've got a LaRocca, a Derr, a free state, and an APEX. They are ALL much better than MA stock and I'm happy with all of them. My current preference is APEX kit + RAM.

get the apex kit , had a trigger job by Dave Santurri on my M&P 40, and apex on my M&P 45 apex has a better feel to it . Apex is also comming outwith a new kit to remover most of pretravel

Back
Top Bottom