Smith & Wesson 460 barrel length

Whiskeywon

NES Member
After having only two big bore revolvers for quite some time now I want another. I have a Smith & Wesson model 629 and a Taylor & Company Schofield model 3 Russian in .45 Colt. After having fired a few 500 magnums with ludicrous loads both out of the 3.5" and 6.5" I definitely liked the 3.5" more. I have not fired anything in 460S&W, but have experienced a Super Redhawk in .454 casull.
The reason I am curious is because I'm torn between spending a the extra couple hundred to get the performance center 3.5" or alternatively there is a used 5" 460XVR for sale not even 15 minutes from me at a reduced price. Either way it would be getting a diet of about 40-50% 45 colt due to it being a shared caliber I already carry for the schofield 40-50% 460S&W and maybe 10% .454 depending on availability of the namesake cartridge.
Price of ammunition is a nonissue and having 3 options is always nice.
So let me know what any of you that have them think!
1578539473438.png1578539533302.png

Anything .460 or even .454 for that matter is pretty much a waste out of a 3.5". I'd go with the 5" but I prefer my 8.375".

Anything .460 or even .454 for that matter is pretty much a waste out of a 3.5". I'd go with the 5" but I prefer my 8.375".
Thanks for the response. Yeah, I saw that one and have a very hard time wrapping my head around a 6 pound revolver haha
Granted the 5 inch is only 10-12 ounces less, but that's 3/4 of a pound basically.

The460SW was designed for long range handgun shooting. Longer barrel = higher velocity,more weight forward to tame recoil and longer site radius.

I had one and sold it. The recoil was manageable. The muzzle blast was incredible, the brake really works on it but it pisses off everyone within 50’ of you.
I found it a kind of a pain in the ass to reload for because of the limited number of bullets available that can handle the high velocities, you can load it down but then why not just get the more versatile 44 magnum.

To answer your question 6.5” or 3.5” performance center I would get the 3.5” because the triggers on the performance center guns are really nice and it looks badass.

The .460 uses progressive barrel twist right? Like the old colt black powder revolvers?

The longer of the two might get better results if the twist is the case.

If you know how to "stone out" the guts and replace the mainspring, you can make that trigger much better than the p.c. version.

Back
Top Bottom