Smith & Wesson 329PD 44 Mag Scandium Frame Titanium Cylinder

in the dealers classified there's one of these, It might be the thing for "off road" carrying.

I have been adventure riding my motorcycle and have found myself in the woods and in one case, I was stuck for a while with lots of moose and bear droppings around.
In the case that I was stuck, I found that I followed a large animal trail on an abandoned loging road.

I assume that it is as light as you can get for a 44, but I wonder how it shoots?

let me preface this by saying i am a 44 mag fan. i occasionally shoot a 629-5 6.5" barrel, which is pleasant. i have seen the scandium frame 329 fired i think twice, maybe three times. i was offered the opportunity to shoot it. it's the only firearm i have declined to even try. it looks that terrible.

but that being said, if being attacked by a bear or large animal, i think the serious pain of recoil is warranted.

It probably shoots as well as you're capable of shooting it but 357 mag in an aluminum/titanium frame will have a good kick.

in the dealers classified there's one of these, It might be the thing for "off road" carrying.

I have been adventure riding my motorcycle and have found myself in the woods and in one case, I was stuck for a while with lots of moose and bear droppings around.
In the case that I was stuck, I found that I followed a large animal trail on an abandoned loging road.

I assume that it is as light as you can get for a 44, but I wonder how it shoots?

let me preface this by saying i am a 44 mag fan. i occasionally shoot a 629-5 6.5" barrel, which is pleasant. i have seen the scandium frame 329 fired i think twice, maybe three times. i was offered the opportunity to shoot it. it's the only firearm i have declined to even try. it looks that terrible.

but that being said, if being attacked by a bear or large animal, i think the serious pain of recoil is warranted.

X2 I love my .44MAG but after shooting my brothers 340PD, I have no desire to ever pick up one of those ultra light weight things again.

like 44 mag a lot as well. Shooting one with no hearing protection will leave you with acute (hopefully) hearing loss for 1-3 days. They do make a 2 5/8" stainless though. The 3", from experience, isn't bad to shoot. Personally I would go with a snub 357 or 10mm.

I could shoot mine with little trouble. I didn't think it was near as bad as people bitched about. Great pack gun.

If you are in a place that you think that it's time to shoot at a bear, he's probably already close enough to smell his breath. It seems to me that you would simply point, pull and repeat as needed, with no concern for recoil. I can't imagine a lightweight Smith, .44 being worse than the 2.5" Ruger Alaskan .454 .

Last edited:
people-

the issue isnt 44 mag. the issue is a scandium-titanium lightweight revolver firing a 44 mag. it appears to be the most unpleasant handgun I have ever seen. experience w a stainless 44 mag is irrelevant.

go try one and see.

Having some considerable trigger time behind the 329pd
I can say it is hands down the hardest recoiling revolver I've ever dealt with. The .460 and .500 magnums are both far more recoil friendly

it probably feels like someone swinging a sledge hammer and hitting the palm of your hand, right between the thumb and forefinger.....

So you will need padded shooting gloves to practice with. but in the woods, where you only need to get off one or two shots, it would work.

or maybe you practice with .44 special in it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about the moose.

Yes that's why I started this thread, the bear scat looked real fresh.

I've been a few feet from a moose and that didn't bother me, the thought of bear had me worried.

I would of sh!t my pants if a saw a bear that day.

I've shot a Ruger Redhawk 6" in 44 and not to bad for a few rounds.

and Yes for practicing, 44 special will help with this light weight one.

but if you had to use the light weight alloy one in the the woods for the intended purposes, I would assume you wouldn't feel the recoil at all.

I think I will keep this on S&W 329PD 44 Mag Scandium Frame Titanium Cylinder on my whish list.

I once told somebody they could keep my 340 PD for free if they could put 200 rounds through it in five minutes. He got 20 rounds in, swore at me, and gave up.

Yup.. I've also heard that you need to check the 6th round. If you're a big monkey, with big monkey hands, your hands and arms will provide the additional mass needed to tame the recoil(but if you're a big monkey, why worry about a 15oz gun?). The wrong ammo with a wimpy roll crimp will break after 4-5 shots. I'll leave the aftermath of that scenario to EddieCoyle and his reloading class explanations.

you guys DO realize that a big-iron snub nose pistol is kind of like firing a flame thrower....all sorts of shit is flying out of that tiny barrel! [rofl]

I once told somebody they could keep my 340 PD for free if they could put 200 rounds through it in five minutes. He got 20 rounds in, swore at me, and gave up.

In true NES style. Out that wuss. Jk

- - - Updated - - -

In true NES style. Out that wuss. Jk

I know what it feels like to shoot warming loads through a steel 629. Not fun on a cold day. Actually It's damn fun but you feel it

This is what it sounds like after each shot goes off....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom