SMITH & WESSON’S M&P15-22 Rifle

Duxprep

NES Member
Cool - Heard this was just released at Shot Show. Expected street is about $500

Read more about it here:

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/products/smith-wessons-mp15-22-rifle/?hp=products_title

SMITH & WESSON’S M&P15-22 Rifle
Smith & Wesson

Smith & Wesson has expanded its Military & Police (M&P) Rifle Series with the introduction of a new tactical rifle chambered in .22 LR – the M&P15-22. The dedicated .22 LR platform offers the fit and feel of the company’s popular M&P15 rifle, while being chambered in the more economical ammunition.

Engineered on a high strength polymer upper and lower receiver, the M&P15-22 benefits from reduced weight while retaining the looks and operating features of the standard M&P15 rifle. The new semi-automatic rifle features a 16-inch barrel with a twist of 1 in 15 inches. The M&P15-22 is standard with a six-position collapsible stock to accommodate a variety of shooters and shooting positions, an A3 style flat top upper receiver with a quad-rail handguard for easily mounting optional accessories and an A2 pistol grip for improved firearm control.

The new tactical rifle also features a fully functional charging handle, an AR-15 style magazine release, bolt catch and a two-position receiver mounted safety. The M&P15-22 is complete with a removable 25 round magazine along with a removable A2-style front post sight, an adjustable A2-style rear sight and a single stage trigger. An optional barrel shroud is also available.

“In designing the new M&P15-22, our engineers pulled out all of the stops to develop the ultimate .22LR platform,” said Tom Kelly, Vice President of Marketing for Smith & Wesson. “The rifle’s operating features, functionality and durability are exactly what you would expect from any of Smith & Wesson’s tactical rifles. By remaining true to the standard AR-15 design while offering all of the preferred features found on the M&P Rifle Series, the M&P15-22 is well suited for a variety of recreational shooting applications while also being an extremely viable training firearm for law enforcement and military personnel. Shooters will find the M&P15-22 to be a great firearm for multiple uses with the reduced recoil and economical .22LR caliber ammunition.”

The M&P15-22 has an unloaded weight of approximately 5 pounds. The rifle measures a compact 31 inches with the stock collapsed and 34 inches with the stock fully extended. The M&P15-22 is designed to accept all 1913 Mil. Std. rail adaptable accessories, Mil-Spec carbine stocks and most standard after-market AR-15 pistol grips.

For more information on this and other Smith & Wesson products, visit www.smith-wesson.com

Happy to see many gun manufacturers following GSG's *tacticool* headway in .22LR. My GSG-5 is a lot of fun and hit the market at a perfect time to plink for cheap -- and feel ridiculously paramilitary. ;)

rail_system-001.jpg

Happy to see many gun manufacturers following GSG's *tacticool* headway in .22LR. My GSG-5 is a lot of fun and hit the market at a perfect time to plink for cheap -- and feel ridiculously paramilitary. ;)

rail_system-001.jpg

Nice. I can't wait to bring mine out to the range. I definitely want to change out the handguard and see if there is a more sturdy stock out there for it. Maybe buy the folding or collapsible one and have it pinned or something.

Nice. I can't wait to bring mine out to the range. I definitely want to change out the handguard and see if there is a more sturdy stock out there for it. Maybe buy the folding or collapsible one and have it pinned or something.

Filling the stock with expanding foam is a cheap and easy solution.You need to take care not to make the mess of all messes if you've never played with the stuff before but it adds quite a bit of rigidity to it and changes the feel considerably.

I really like all these new .22's.Of course,had you said 2 years ago that I'd be getting giddy over $500 plastic plinkers I would have told you not very likely.

I wonder if it would take Black Dog .22lr mags or some something proprietary S&W.

My thought process is this:

The S&W is nice, certainly something Id like to have, since I allready shoot an M&P in 5.56, it would make training cheap and allow me to do so more often, and train with what Id use should the situation arise.

However if I bought the Sig 552 and trained with then, Id then have to buy the 556 so I was again training with what Id use.

So Ill probably go with the 552, the math just works out better; add one gun or add two guns! [smile]

Back
Top Bottom