Smith or ruger 357

It's a wonderful problem to have but I've got to make the choice between the 686 and the gp 100. I've read great things about both but would love to hear your feedback!

Smith has a better trigger but at a cost. The Ruger can be honed easily and give the same pull as a Smith. The Ruger is also easier to take apart and put back together with a solid one piece frame.

I own a couple of both. I'm comfortable stripping the Ruger to the frame, I'm afraid to take the side plates off of the Smith, not that it matters. I think the Smith looks better but they are both very good

I have several S&W and several Ruger revolvers. All the S&Ws are bone stock and all the Rugers went to a cowboy action smith in Derry NH who also does double action work. The Rugers needed to have the external edges softened and actions smoothed. I have a few where you could cut yourself on the trigger guard and the hammer spur would wear through kydex. That said, I trust the Rugers to stand up to a real beating and keep running. On a side note, all the S&Ws were bought used and have pinned barrels, so most are probably older than I am. All the Rugers were bought new.

It's a wonderful problem to have but I've got to make the choice between the 686 and the gp 100. I've read great things about both but would love to hear your feedback!

So now you've gone and done it. You started a Ford vs Chevy type of thread! [laugh] I respect the opinion of those that like the Ruger revolvers and agree that they are built like tanks. and while beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I think that they look like tanks and handle like tanks too. To me, the Rugers all look like they were designed by Fred Flintstone. They are big and bulky and have a primitive appearance about them. Again, this is an opinion and the respected members here who are Ruger fans disagree with me.

I don't own a Ruger revolver but have shot some of them. The reason I own Smiths is that I have shot Rugers. It was my experience that the S&W's shot smoother, had much nicer triggers and sights and I liked the way they handled much better. They just felt more balanced in my hand.

Both are good and reliable guns and will probably last a life time, but I just think the Rugers are butt ugly, cheap, clunky looking guns, with minor exception being the cowboy guns. I think the only thing that looks cool about Ruger is the logo. [pot]

Rugers are easier to do a trigger job on - or so I've heard. I made my Ruger Security Six have a nice smooth 7 lb pull with little effort. I do not think it handles like a tank.

Keep in mind that the Security Six is closer to a K frame, so I'm happy with the way it handles. I handled a friend's 686 at an IDPA match when we were both shooting SSR, and it was significantly heavier. I'd assume that the GP100 is also in the heavier weight range.

So now you've gone and done it. You started a Ford vs Chevy type of thread! [laugh] I respect the opinion of those that like the Ruger revolvers and agree that they are built like tanks. and while beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I think that they look like tanks and handle like tanks too. To me, the Rugers all look like they were designed by Fred Flintstone. They are big and bulky and have a primitive appearance about them. Again, this is an opinion and the respected members here who are Ruger fans disagree with me.

I don't own a Ruger revolver but have shot some of them. The reason I own Smiths is that I have shot Rugers. It was my experience that the S&W's shot smoother, had much nicer triggers and sights and I liked the way they handled much better. They just felt more balanced in my hand.

Both are good and reliable guns and will probably last a life time, but I just think the Rugers are butt ugly, cheap, clunky looking guns, with minor exception being the cowboy guns. I think the only thing that looks cool about Ruger is the logo. [pot]

I have to disagree. It many cases this may be true regarding the S&W vs Ruger comparison. I think towards the 686 vs GP100 debate though, that the Ruger's trigger is better, and the gun looks better. Again, we won't ever agree, and that's fine. I think guns from ANY company can be ugly and cheap, but to say that all of Ruger's guns are cheap, ugly, and clunky isn't fair. Last time I checked, they make A LOT of pretty popular guns. Their prices are cheaper on some things, which I think is better. A 686 for $800? $900? For what? My GP100 was $525 out the door, and it's a better gun.

I will sum up this whole thread right now.

FLIP A COIN! the ruger is cheaper and needs a tad more tuning, the smith is more of an initial investment but needs less work to "perform" to some folks standards.

what do i own? literally half of my handguns are rugers, the other half are smiths with a glock here and there with a couple mutts...

Dom

I have to disagree. It many cases this may be true regarding the S&W vs Ruger comparison. I think towards the 686 vs GP100 debate though, that the Ruger's trigger is better, and the gun looks better. Again, we won't ever agree, and that's fine. I think guns from ANY company can be ugly and cheap, but to say that all of Ruger's guns are cheap, ugly, and clunky isn't fair. Last time I checked, they make A LOT of pretty popular guns. Their prices are cheaper on some things, which I think is better. A 686 for $800? $900? For what? My GP100 was $525 out the door, and it's a better gun.

This post is the perfect illustration of how gentleman can disagree and still be civil. Rep points inbound. I respect your opinion and value your input. You are an asset to the forum and I am glad you are here.
However I paid about $700 for my 686 brand new. Smith revolvers cost a little more because they are better guns with better triggers and sights and clearly the choice of the discriminating shooters. [wink]

One of these days we should have a good old fashioned shooting competition. I will shoot my 686 and you can shoot your Ruger. Then I will show you once and for all that you are WRONG!! [laugh]

To the OP I would suggest that you handle and shoot them both if possible. If you buy the Ruger and change your mind down the road you can always use it as a boat anchor. [rofl]

This post is the perfect illustration of how gentleman can disagree and still be civil. Rep points inbound. I respect your opinion and value your input. You are an asset to the forum and I am glad you are here.
However I paid about $700 for my 686 brand new. Smith revolvers cost a little more because they are better guns with better triggers and sights and clearly the choice of the discriminating shooters. [wink]

One of these days we should have a good old fashioned shooting competition. I will shoot my 686 and you can shoot your Ruger. Then I will show you once and for all that you are WRONG!! [laugh]

To the OP I would suggest that you handle and shoot them both if possible. If you buy the Ruger and change your mind down the road you can always use it as a boat anchor. [rofl]

Well said. I guess in some ways, I look at the action on Ruger's Single Actions, which is awesome, and maybe think all of their triggers are just as good. S&W definitely makes great guns, sometimes I try and look at cost & value. For my $500, I just thought the GP100 was better, and thought it would last longer with not having the side plates, etc. I very well could be wrong.

It goes back to any old debate of people who like Chevy or Ford, etc. Some will love Smith to the end, or Glock, or SA, etc etc. I just happen to be a fan of the Ruger's that I own. I can't speak to all of their guns. I am sure they make some real Pieces of garbage.

I will agree with you on the boat anchor though. [laugh] hence why I think it will last forever.

Anytime you want to shoot the 357mags, let me know. I am sure you are a much better shooter than me, so I need some sort of handicap. [laugh]

Give me a call. I'll bring a K-frame with a trigger job and prove you both wrong. [wink]

Anytime you want to shoot the 357mags, let me know. I am sure you are a much better shooter than me, so I need some sort of handicap. [laugh]

I am not falling for that! You are just saying that so if you beat me you can say " See I beat you with my Ruger and I am not even that good a shooter. Rugers are far superior!"

Give me a call. I'll bring a K-frame with a trigger job and prove you both wrong. [wink]

No, no... that means you are on my side if you bring a different S&W! It would be awesome to hold an NES wheelgun challenge. Just revolvers. I would be torn over what to bring and as much as I like my S&W's, I think a good shooter with a Python would give us all a run for our money

I have a gp100 I bought from the NES classifieds for a good price and love it. I've shot a 686 and a Colt king cobra and thought they were both great guns also. My cache of handguns are all either Smith&Wesson or Ruger and I wouldn't get rid of any. If cash is not a problem get a 4" gp100 and a 6" 686.

I have a 4" Ruger GP-100. I've fired both the GP-100 and the 4" S&W 686. Both are amazing wheel guns and you'll be very happy with either, or both. I admire both guns and would be happy to own both.

Thanks for all the input every one! I'm going to my local dealer this week and will handle both the Ruger and Smith. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Thanks for all the input every one! I'm going to my local dealer this week and will handle both the Ruger and Smith. I'll let you know how it turns out!

There are very few times in life that you find yourself in a place where you just can't make the wrong decision, but this is one of them. You just can't go wrong with either of those choices. Best of luck and enjoy your new .357.
I think everyone should own a good wheel gun. There is a purity that comes with a nice revolver that can't be matched. You don't worry about magazines or safeties, just the target and you.

Whatever you do, just don't buy a Taurus

Back
Top Bottom