• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

smelting scrap who takes it???

mac1911

NES Member
I have not seen much about who or where you can scrap the scrap from smelting? Example

1. The spring steel clip from wheel weights.
2. the jackets from indoor range scrap.
3. Steel/iron wheel weights
4. Zinc wheel weights

I'm looking for a place in SE massachusetts. So far the few places I found have little interest?

I have not seen much about who or where you can scrap the scrap from smelting? Example

4. Zinc wheel weights

I'm looking for a place in SE massachusetts. So far the few places I found have little interest?

Are you looking to sell it or just get rid of it?

If getting rid of it, almost any municipal dump with a recycling station for metals will allow you to pitch it for free.

Try Middleboro dump, they're most likely to let you toss it in the pile/dumpster.

4. Zinc wheel weights

The steel clips and steel/iron WW have little to no value. BobJ seems to have a place that will take the
jackets if you sort through them and take out anything magnetic and any other junk. I believe he said
they consider it brass like, not copper. As far as the Zinc, I don't know.

The scrap has no value. As has been suggested, drop it off at your local recycling location. Or, find some dumpster somewhere.
Ooops, did I say that??? [smirk]

Just looking to make a buck. If I found a place giveing $ that might be in my travels I would cash it in even if it was for only coffe $$

We don't need no stinking link..... I can tell you that the two biggest scrappers here in Maine have said NO. They didn't even want me to LEAVE it.

Who's we? You got a frog in your pocket? I wasn't asking you for a link, I was asking Gammon.
I hardly think what ME scrappers want or don't want is relevant to this discussion.

Who's we? You got a frog in your pocket? I wasn't asking you for a link, I was asking Gammon.
I hardly think what ME scrappers want or don't want is relevant to this discussion.

I'm not Gammon (or a lawyer), but...

Companies that ship lead dross for recycling have to get a hazardous waste recycling permit. The permit required is "BWP HW 21: Level 1, Class A Presumptive Approval Recycling Permit". The dross has to be shipped to a permitted recycler

http://www.mass.gov/Eoeea/docs/eea/ota/tech_reports/bmp_for_lead_final_web.pdf

EPA Hazardous Waste Codes: Lead Dross - D008

http://www.epa.gov/osw/hazard/generation/sqg/handbook/insert.pdf

Dross is a mass of solid impurities floating on a molten metal bath. It appears usually on the melting of low melting point metals or alloys such as tin, Lead, zinc or aluminum, or by oxidation of the metal(s). They can also consist of impurities such as paint leftovers. It can easily be skimmed off the surface before pouring the metal into a mold or casting flask. With tin and Lead the dross can also be removed by adding sodium hydroxide pellets, which dissolve the oxides and form a slag. Dross is distinguished from slag, which is a (viscous) liquid floating on the alloy, by being solid.

Lead Dross shall consist of slag, dross, skimming or spilling from Lead melting operations. A scum formed on the surface of molten metal. Dross refers to the Lead oxides, copper, antimony, and other elements that float to the top of the molten Lead.

The waste material skimmed from the surface of the Lead-tin pot is commonly referred to as "Lead dross." As the name might suggest, Lead dross has a high percentage of Lead, causing it to be classified as a hazardous waste.

http://www.gravitaexim.com/Lead-metal/Lead-dross.html

Last edited:
Sorry but I don't have any links. My experience as a commercial caster included dealing with dross. It is best returned to the smelter where they can convert it back into lead.

I forgot to mention the other scrap you might encounter. I would have no qualms about dumping the metal clips left over from melting down wheel weights in the trash. This scrap should not be toxic or hazardous. The dross skimmed off of the surface of a melting pot is another matter altogether. This is mostly lead oxides which are more toxic and dangerous than lead. A smelter can turn this stuff back into lead by heating it to temperatures in excess of 1200 deg F.

Back
Top Bottom