smallest caliber you feel comfortable carrying?

comfortable carry round

• Total voters
I've got a Service Six Snubby, an SP101 and a Blackhawk all in .357 magnum. I like a 158 grain slug with a lil' kick behind it.

My preferred carry is my Bobcat in .22LR loaded with 32grain stingers...[wink]

Unless I'm in bear country, then I switch to 40grain Velocitors.[smile]

This time of year, .45 acp. But I have yet to find a warm weather carry I'm happy with. I have been playing the "it has to be .xx caliber or I don't feel safe" game for the past few years. More often than not that left my "carry" gun at home in the safe during the warmer months.

More and more I've been believing the old saying " the first rule of a gun fight, is have a gun". Is .22, .32, .380 or even 9mm the best carry round? Nope. But any one of those calibers beats all the .44 magnums and .45acp chambered guns that are sitting at home...

Just put my name on a waiting list for a Bodyguard .380 today. Hopefully it has me carrying all summer long.

drb

Put a .380 round next to a 9mm. Is there a difference?, of course. A drastic one?, not really. Especially when you consider if you ever need it, it will probably be under 15 feet. Now if you think that it is even a close comparison to setting a .500 next to a .50 BMG or a .22LR next to a .223, C'MON

Put a .380 round next to a 9mm. Is there a difference?, of course. A drastic one?, not really. Especially when you consider if you ever need it, it will probably be under 15 feet. Now if you think that it is even a close comparison to setting a .500 next to a .50 BMG or a .22LR next to a .223, C'MON

sarcasm_meter.jpg

OK, they look about the same. That doesn't change the fact that 9x19 still produces TWICE the kinetic energy as .380ACP.

I carry 380 in my P3AT. For me, being comfortable is most important. If they made a 9mm in the same size I would consider that as well but they don't. They do make "almost" the same size...

I'm also a very good shot with my KelTec. For such a small gun at 25 yrds I'm hitting body mass. At 20' I'm hitting dead nuts. Not that this would matter in the heat of the moment, but it just goes back to the comfort factor.

...at the end of the day I wouldn't want to get hit with birdshot.... I'm sure 380 is just fine.

my daily is a NAA .32 with 2 mags. my work environment, and attire make this the most effective carry Monday-Friday 7-5. . . and at 20 feet, I can double tap 2 to the head all day with either hand.. . .after 5 and on weekend, it's usually my S&W 3913 in 9mm.

in the past, I've carried everything from a .22 to a .45

at work ... m&p 40c hip holster and .380 bodyguard ankle holster
out and about w a jacket Glock 21 (.45 acp) and the bodyguard in a jacket pocket or ankle holster.
BTW.... be proud i have graduated to condition 1 carry.
i now feel uncomfortable if there is NOT one in the chamber. huh, go figure.
oh in the summer in shorts it'll be the glock 22 and the bodyguard in a spare cargo short pocket. ....

once in a great while i may just carry the bodyguard (doctors appt, etc) and am only marginally comfortable with it. While a .380 is enough to hurt you i have much more faith in the modest .45auto.

I have to get out and try one sometime. I don't think the cartridge solved any problems, or filled any voids, but I'd like to have a clue about it before I continue to bash it.

Typed while wearing my "Old man golfing hat"

I have to get out and try one sometime. I don't think the cartridge solved any problems, or filled any voids, but I'd like to have a clue about it before I continue to bash it.

Typed while wearing my "Old man golfing hat"

Also its nice having the slim frame that a 26 has

Generally speaking, 9mm, but I have a tiny .380 (Ruger LCP) for the rare occasions where I can't reliably get away with carrying anything larger.

-Mike

.357 for me

Carl that painting is from "Goodfellas" isn't it. "One dog goes this way one dog goes that way and he is like whata you want from me" was the line I believe Tomy's Mother painted it. Wow I know way to much about that movie.

OK, they look about the same. That doesn't change the fact that 9x19 still produces TWICE the kinetic energy as .380ACP.

I dunno, it depends on how much stock one puts in the whole energy transfer" BS. The bigger difference to me is that 9mm Luger will penetrate a lot farther (and better through intermediate barriers, for example, I would not want to have to shoot a .380 -through- something) and JHPs in 9mm will open far more reliably.

-Mike

The .380 will do the job. There's no need to be concerned that it may be underpowered for self defense. Even the .22 mag and the old .38 S&W cartridges are adequate, as long as you do your part. Practice your draw from concealment and trigger control. Be aware of your surroundings. (Not like the victim of the drive-by stabbing in Hartford a few years ago.) You should do fine.

That being said, I personally carry a .38 special and/or a .44

.38 special in a S&W model 36....sometimes .357 magnum in a S&W model 28 or a model 686. Sometimes a M&P 40c or a full size M&P .45acp.
Weather dependent for the most part, but I also always carry a .22 magnum double derringer, sabre spray, and at least 2 knives.

Last edited:
.357 for me

Carl that painting is from "Goodfellas" isn't it. "One dog goes this way one dog goes that way and he is like whata you want from me" was the line I believe Tomy's Mother painted it. Wow I know way to much about that movie.

White haired guy looks like someone we know. Movie was on last night... again.

.357 for me

Waddya doin' here? I thought I tole' ya ta go ____ yer mutha![laugh]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom