1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. NES Life memberships are now available, click here for details.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Small utility/dump trailer advice please

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by rep308, May 23, 2018.

1. rep308

rep308 NES Member

My 4x8 homebuilt trailer with 2' sides has rusted out and headed to the big junk yard in the sky. I'm looking for a trailer for yard waste runs to the dump, trips to Home Depot for home repairs and taking the lawnmower/snowblower to the repair place.

I'm looking for a 4x8 with 2'-3' sides to haul leaves, ect. I have no problem adding home built 2x4 sides to a flat trailer of the trailer has slots or bolt holes to allow. I don't really need the really large tailgate to roll things on/off of. 5x8 is a little big, I'll look at 4x7's as they will do

Cap world seems to be the only choice that I can find. I'm in the $1000-$1500 max range again this is for Joe Homeowner, not a pro carpenter or lawn service. It will be taken out about 6-10 times per year and be my primary vehicle to get the fall leaves to the dump.

I tried the craigslist crap shoot, but would rather spend a grand or so for something new. I'm in the Norwood area and work in Marlboro as I don't want to drive too far to track one down.

Thanks in advance

2. qqac

qqac

Harbor Freight has a 4 x 8 trailer that exactly fits your needs for $250 but unfortunately the trailer sales are on hold right now until they get a wheel/tire safety issue resolved.

3. Woodstock

Woodstock NES Member

We have a Karavan 4 x 8 flatbed that we use for those jobs. It has 12" tires, and goes down the highway better than the snowmobile trailers with the tiny 8" tires. We've hauled big piles of brush and 700-lb. garden tractors with no problems. Maybe try their website for a local dealer?
    Home Depot and Lowe's used to have a selection of trailers, too.

4. GomerPile

GomerPile NES Member

I have one of these with the optional winch to pull large crap up into the trailer or dump heavy loads. Its balanced well enough that you can dump a load of firewood without using the winch. Its expensive but the best dump trailer I have seen. The ends come off for moving brush or long items. The hitch pivots so you don't dump a load sideways when running over rocks etc. The tires are ATV tires on very strong axles.

Unfortunately this trailer is not road legal....posting it for others who might need one on private land.

DR Versa-Trailer

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  5. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

Tractor Supply has a selection of trailers for under $1000 that may fit your needs.
    They have a store on Main st. in Millis.

RHJJ likes this.
  6. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

I've said it here on NES a number of times - go buy an ALUMINUM utility trailer.

How much did that original trailer cost? If it was homebuilt - it still cost something. Let's say it cost $300.

Now that $300 is sitting in the dump.

So you'll go out and buy another trailer - if you buy a cheap one, that one will also rust out sooner or later - and go to the dump. So at some point down the road - you'll be depositing let's say $750 into the dump.

Now you're up to $1050 you've sent to the dump. And after the second one goes to the dump - you're still not going to have a trailer.

I just helped my father clear a bunch of brush out and haul it off to the local tree company for disposal -using the ALUMINUM trailer he built back in 1973. The thing is still in excellent condition and gets used regularly - even though it's 45 years old. He has no idea what it cost him to build back then - but it's probably a $2500-$3000 trailer on Craigslist these days.

I bought a 5x10 aluminum tilt-bed stake side "utility" trailer back in 2006. I paid $1550 for it - they sell for around $2500 now, so I'm pretty sure I could turn around and sell mine for AT LEAST what I paid for it - if not maybe a little more.

Aluminum = no maintenance except for greasing the wheels. FOR DECADES. For that 6 times a year you're going to use the thing - you pull it out of the weeds in the backyard , hook it up to the car - drag your shit around and when you get home you dump it in the weeds again and forget about it ........ FOR DECADES.

When you're done with it 20 years from now - you sell it for more than you paid for it - instead of sending it to the dump.

That's why aluminum is cheaper.

JayMcB and Oldarmy like this.
  7. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

LOL [rofl]

8. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

Save Now~Mission Utility Trailer 5x8

5x8 Mission utility trailer, it's got a fold down rear ramp. The trailer I have has a tilt bed - which comes in pretty useful on occasion for driving lawnmowers onto and off of the trailer.

I would go for a tilt bed over the ramp thing

Price: $2475
    Trailer Name: MU 5x8 A-R
    Curb Weight: 350
    Overall Width: 82"
    Deck Width: 60"
    Overall Length: 149"
    Deck Length: 96"
    Deck Height: 19"
    Hitch Height: 13"
    Coupler Rating: 2" Ball
    Tires: ST 175/80D 13"
    GVW: 2200

Standard Features
    All Aluminum Frame, Box Tube Construction
    Extruded Aluminum Decking
    2" Hitch Coupler & 5000lb.
    Safety Chains
    Dexter Torsion Idler Axles 2200Lb w/ E-Z Lube Hubs
    Sealed & Enclosed Wiring System
    Plate Light with Bracket
    Stake Pockets Ramp
    Wishbone Tongue DOT Lighting
    Aluminum Spoke Rims

4 Year Limited Warranty

[​IMG]

There's probably 10 different companies that make this type of trailer in a variety of sizes and configurations. The one I have is a Worthington.

The sides are easily removeable - and you could make up solid sides for it if you needed to haul mulch or something like that.

My advice is to cry once and then forget about it FOREVER.

SERE, Terrys and xjma99 like this.
  9. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

A friend of mine got some replacement tires on rims for his snowmobile trailer from HF, they wore out down to the cords after about 600 miles. [shocked]
    Total junk.

10. rep308

rep308 NES Member

11. Hoon

Hoon

I have the 4x8, use it to tow a sport bike.

I once put two bikes on it and towed them to Loudon...what a shit idea that was.

Terrifying watching $25k lean over in the turns from the trailer flexing so badly.

I would say capacity is 500-600lbs max. I don't care what their rating is, it's made from the cheapest, thin Chinese steel.

12. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

Excellent.

Mission trailers seem to be pretty good. There's a lot of dealers around here that seem to carry them. The Worthington I bought came from this dealer: REP Enterprises - Home. I'm not sure if they carry Worthington any more though - looks like they might be carrying Aluma now:

Trailers| Trailers | 2019 54"X96" Aluma 548

I wouldn't settle on anything until looking at a bunch of options - you might have to travel around a bit since there's not a huge amount of trailer dealers in New England.

The tilt bed I got on my trailer has come in very useful on a few occasions. I later bought a set of aluminum ramps from Harbor Freight that work pretty good too for some specific jobs I needed to get done that the tilt bed would not work for.

Looking at the Aluma trailer specs above - here's another thing to look at: The small utility trailers typically come with a 2000 , 2200 or 2500 pound rated axle. Since the trailer is going to probably weigh in around 350 pounds or so (going to depend on what you put on it for sides) - you can get a few hundred more pounds of carry capacity out of it by getting the right setup.

You might not think it's a big deal - but it will make a difference if you decide to use the trailer to carry a couple of big motorcycles or a load of mulch or loam or something.

I'd also recommend going a bit wider than just 48" - you're going to find some lawn tractors are going to have trouble fitting in there because the decks are like 48" - and then there's the outrigger wheels and the chute cover and stuff like that. My trailer is nominally a 5x10 - and I'm glad I got it that big, the extra length has worked out for a lot of different things - one of the things the extra length definitely helps with - is dimensional lumber. You can strap a 16ft length of lumber down across the top of the trailer - stick it off the front 3-4 feet - you've got 10 feet of trailer length - so it only sticks 2 feet off the back , instead of 4ft overhang if you had an 8ft trailer.

A ten foot long trailer also lets you do something like dump a lawn tractor and one of those small garden dump trailers completely on the trailer to haul it around if you're going to do that.

13. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

Isn't putting a bike on a Harbor Freight trailer a little bit like putting your head into a Harbor Freight helmet?

JayMcB, RHJJ, Hoon and 2 others like this.
  14. rep308

rep308 NES Member

Calsdad, thanks that is the exact frigging style I want and 'I'll pay the little extra money. I just don't want to drive to NH to buy it,

Found a dealer in N. Oxford 548 with bifold gate, just what I need and probably worth the extra $500

15. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

i have personally beat the living crap out of a 4x8 carryon trailer i bought 12 years ago. Mine looks like this, but i added 2x8 PT floor boards, bought it at lowes.

upload_2018-5-23_16-48-25.png

BUT if i were to do it again....i would get TWO axles (so i could haul even more crap, maybe a car) and make it at least 10' long. Would also be thinking galvanized steel, instead of just painted.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  16. Paul455

Paul455 NES Member

Buy once, cry once.......it it lasts twice as long, it costs half as much.

17. richc

richc NES Member

Ralph, I bought a Bri-Mar from Yared in Medfield. Paid about $1500 6x10 3-4 years ago. It's a work horse.

What Paul455 said. But once, cry once. Get something decent. BTW if you'd like to try out mine PM me.

18. 42!

42! NES Member

I bought a harbor freight 4x8. Put it together, built sides for it, PT plywood bed, added some steel to fix some week spots. Now it's not bad. Go to Tractor Supply and save yourself all the headaches of making the HF one serviceable, I wish I had.

19. ToddDubya

ToddDubya NES Member

I have a karavan snowmobile trailer with the tiny 8" tires and can attest to the poor manners on the highway. Around town it's real nice. I like the tilting deck more than I expected I would.

Two words for you: aluminum frame.

20. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

Buy th best you can afford. I have an aluminum snowmobile trailer it does everything, put sides on for leaves when I want, hails sleds, ATVs, the kids on Halloween (I make 2x4 rails, hay bales and it’s a hay ride mobile). Re grease bearings once a year and it treats me well. Go aluminum

21. qqac

qqac

OP is towing a maybe 80 lb lawn mower and yard waste worth zero to the dump a couple miles away. None of that is comparable to what you are doing, towing $25k worth of motorcycles a few hundred miles.

I have had a $250 folding HF trailer for 4 years now, using it to move furniture, a riding zero turn mower, an old Ariens snowblower, on 10 mile runs, and taking leaves, brush and other yard waste to the town dump. It is definitely just for lightweight duty, but that is all I do with it. It folds up and stands vertically, so I can store it in the garage. It still looks brand new. Even the recalled wheels on it have held up. No way would I run it interstate, but for local runs it fits the bill. For $250. That's like 15 U-Haul trailer rentals, and I have done way more than that, plus I don't have to go through the hassle of renting.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  22. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

i have had 1600 lbs in that carry on. It is actually built pretty well

23. rep308

rep308 NES Member

Some things happen slowly. My trailer hitch opening was so rusted that I had to buy a 1/2 belt sander and grind the rust off with 32 grit sandpaper. I figured I might as well have working lights for the first time in my life. I ended up buying a Alumnia 528 with 2' tall sides and a bi-fold gate: 548 Utility Trailer | Single Axle Utility Trailers

I got it at Camp Out in North Oxford for $2030

JayMcB likes this.
  24. Nhusa

Nhusa

6 to 10 times a year means you want to use it every other month.
    It sounds like very light duty, low mileage, and slow speeds so make it simple as possible.
    Tilt adds cost as does aluminum.

You don’t need to spend a lot. Almost anything will work.
    Look at Harbor freight, Lowe’s, Home Depot, Tractor Suply etc and don’t over think it.
    Maybe wait until the end of the season and get a clearance deal.
    Many of these places just want them out of the way so they can make room for snowblowers.

We once got a $1500 snowblower for $801 in April.
    The $1.00 put it in the over $800 to $900 bracket for the manager and all he wanted to do was make his numbers and get rid of it.

25. Jarcese

Jarcese NES Member

I spent $950 including tax on a Carry On 5.5x9 with 15" wheels and top rails made of round stock instead of angle. Ended up exchanging it under warranty after six months. It tracked badly, was losing paint, welded incorrecly at every joint. It had a lot of unmelted welding wire sticking out of joints. They (Lowes and Carry On)exchanged it for me.

On to my second Carry On.. Drove it back and forth to work a couple times and only loaded it once. I happened to be pulling into Lowes with it and my wheel almost fell off. Hub was fine, but nuts must have been hand tight from the factory. I left it in Lowes parking lot for three weeks waiting on a new rim since the old one's stud holes got reamed on and destroyed. Carry on sent two of the wrong hubs and the wrong size wheel. I sent them back and they sent me one hub this time with the right rim and a crappy quality tire. I ended up buying a third rim and switching the tires so they matched and keeping the third for a full spare. I also bought a new hub to match the replacement hub because those also didnt match even though they were the correct size.

I got a good deal since it was on sale and manager gave me another $100 on top of 10% coupon I had. Not really sure if it was worth it, but I do like it now that all the issues are resolved. Not sure if I would recommend it without getting a very good deal.

26. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Just in case somebody is looking I know of a 2018 6X8 enclosed cargo trailer in Nashua. Black, Alum. barn doors and ramps. Guy is asking 2400 but was told he'd take 2K for it. Not a mark on it.
    PM if interested FMI.

27. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

BTW, Harbor Freight is once again selling Trailer kits. Northern Tool has several aluminum trailer kits.

Just bought an Aluma 548 utility trailer at Drinkwater Trailer Sales.

Had a HF 1720 last five years. Very handy device for the money. Along with corrosion resistance it’s 320 lbs with ramp.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  28. northframingham

northframingham NES Member

Admin likes this.
  29. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

upload_2018-8-10_7-58-53.png
    i don't like that steel mesh sidewall thingie. It cuts thru any ropes you use to tied down things in the bed

30. northframingham

northframingham NES Member

I don't use ropes. I use tie down straps (either ratcheting one or pull straps, both with hooks) Works great for me.