• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Small Stack-On safe @ Dicks?

I searched the forum and could not find a discussion of this particular safe...

I'm considering this small stack-on safe for handguns:

p5472432p275w.jpg

Dick's lists this for $209.99, and from what I can tell, it appears to be the Stack-On PSF-717. But I'm puzzled, because everywhere else I look, this safe is selling for more than twice as much.

So what's the deal with the model Dick's is selling?

I have no idea - we don't carry them in Pittsfield. What I do know is that Dicks Sporting Goods and Stack-On have a very close relationship - Stack-On builds a couple of models exclusively for us. Could be just a bulk purchase as well...

It's been discussed here before but some some levels of fire-proof safe use an insulation that contributes to rust on firearms. So you sometimes see printed on the fireproof safe literature, "not suitable for guns".

Also, check for a UL rating on the Safe at Dick's if you really want to know how 'safe' you safe is. No UL rating is a sign of low quality.

If it is the 717, then it's fire resistant...Rated to 1700-degrees for 90-minutes...

Mark,

In reviews I've read on the net, people have complained that these Stack-On safes impart a funny odor to whatever is stored in them as a result of the dessicant they're originally shipped with (they say it lingers for a long time).

Have you had complaints of this type or had returns for this reason, or is this isolated bunk?

Mark,

In reviews I've read on the net, people have complained that these Stack-On safes impart a funny odor to whatever is stored in them as a result of the dessicant they're originally shipped with (they say it lingers for a long time).

Have you had complaints of this type or had returns for this reason, or is this isolated bunk?

I think it's half and half...The newer Stack-On safes seem to be good to go, but we have a 45-gun safe that has been in the store for a while, (our display) and it came with two huge desiccant bags on board and it does indeed have a bit of a funk to it...I was going to snag one to toss in my own safe, but no thanks....The newer safes we have don't seem to have this problem.

I think it's half and half...The newer Stack-On safes seem to be good to go, but we have a 45-gun safe that has been in the store for a while, (our display) and it came with two huge desiccant bags on board and it does indeed have a bit of a funk to it...I was going to snag one to toss in my own safe, but no thanks....The newer safes we have don't seem to have this problem.

It's been argued that the smell just doesn't go away, but I advised one guy to use OZIUM (a spray de-odorizer) available at most auto stores, and it worked great!

You might want to give it a try on the one in the store if the store springs for the spray. It may help sell it.

UPDATE

Just wanted to update this thread in case someone comes along in the future wondering about this safe.

I did end up ordering this small safe from Dick's online. Apparently its only available online; the local store didn't carry it and the guy I spoke to about it said they couldn't order it.

Anyway, I received it today, was just a over a week from order to delivery.

It *is* in fact the PSF-817, which makes it a screaming deal and far below anybody else's price that I could find online. I ended up getting the model with the key and electronic lock. I debated getting the mechanical lock but finally decided on the electronic. Time will tell if I live to regret this decision.

The lock solenoid was sticky and when I first opened it, and it wouldn't relock the live bolts because it wasn't returning to its extended position. The solenoid has a very weak return spring with just barely enough strength to raise the solenoid. But after taking the back panel off, blowing out some dust, and lightly lubing with WD-40, it works fine now.

Only other minor complaint is that the interior is not carpeted; I'll probably add some carpet to the shelves myself. No biggie. It came with a big bag of silica gel and the interior had no noticeable smell.

All in all, it seems like a very reasonable small safe for pistol, cash, and other miscellaneous small-item security.

Back
Top Bottom