Small Rifle Primers in .38 Spl

Patriot

NES Member
I have some small rifle primers (Rem 7.5 Bench Rest) and loaded twenty of them in
.38 Spl cases with WST and 148gr DEWC's. Shooting them out of a S&W 642 it
was an interesting experiment. The 642 has had a 'trigger job' which definitely
lightened the hammer strike and most would not fire in it. It barely dented the
primer. (Rem 7.5 BR primers are excellent for .223 rifles BTW, very hard) In
my M28 it was much less of an issue. In fact I only had one that did not fire
and I believe that primer was defective as it had a really good ding in the primer.

There was a noticeable difference in the recoil of the 642 but the M28 is
such a beast the difference wasn't perceptible. My guess is that the cup
on the bench rest primers are much harder than the small pistol as I have
no problems using CCI or Win small pistol primers in the 642.

I am going to use some of these in my M28 with .357 loads next.

I've got a bunch of .38 Special and .38 Super loaded up with all 4 different types of small primers (rifle and pistol, magnum and standard) that I'm going to chrono when I get around to it.

I've used small rifle standard primers in 9mm subgun ammo almost exclusively for years with no problems. The Uzi likes them real well.

What are the benefits of using a rifle primer in a pistol case?

They prevent primer flow on higher pressure rounds. I use them on 38 super rounds 115gr going 1500+fps. Or 40sw rounds 155gr going 1150 out of a 3.5 barrel. On low pressure rounds they will not always seal against the primer pocket and you will get breach face erosion

They prevent primer flow on higher pressure rounds. I use them on 38 super rounds 115gr going 1500+fps. Or 40sw rounds 155gr going 1150 out of a 3.5 barrel. On low pressure rounds they will not always seal against the primer pocket and you will get breach face erosion

Is that .40 load for modified division?

Aren't rifle primers deeper than pistol, and if so don't you get high primers? The only time I've used them was on .500 brass that was designed for them.

Oh good. Let's tell all the NEW reloaders that despite the books warnings, that it's OK to just swap primers around.

Sheesh...........

Please do not use anything but exactly what the book (reloading data book) says to use, especially IF you are loading at or near the max load for any caliber. That's my advice to the new reloaders.

Is that .40 load for modified division?

Yep

I have used rifle primers on my 40 limited loads but have found that when I reduced the trigger weight, i would get light strikes even with a XL firing pin

Wolf rifle primers seem to be slightly over-sized compared to all the other primer, even wolf pistol, so you can use them to get a few extra loads out of brass that has loose primer pockets.... they don't tell you that in the book

Nor do they teach you that federal primers are a terrible idea in ar15s. But isnt that what the classes are for? [Laugh]

Why not, you don't like frog hunting? [grin]

Federal primers increase the cycle rate in a [STRIKE=slidefire]slidefire[/STRIKE] SLAMFIRE ar-15.

Last edited:
That....and it increased my cyclic rate too...except i dont have a slidefire....or an m16. Federal primers and floating firing pins arent a good mix

Oh good. Let's tell all the NEW reloaders that despite the books warnings, that it's OK to just swap primers around.

Sheesh...........

Please do not use anything but exactly what the book (reloading data book) says to use, especially IF you are loading at or near the max load for any caliber. That's my advice to the new reloaders.

Ms Debbie Downer, you know how to throw rain on the parade. You know sometimes it isn't all about the newbies.
Maybe we need a NTFN (Not Safe For Newbies) warning or frownie when we want to speak like adults?

Back
Top Bottom