Small reloading bench

Well I have started to purchasing items to start reloading as funds allow. I have a box of coming from Midway this week and I figured I better have some place to put stuff. Since I live in an apartment I built this small table out of 2x4's, plywood and some peg board.

Attachments

• IMG_0259a..jpg
    IMG_0259a..jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 109
Fasten it to the wall, and it will be very sturdy.

You may or may not find issues with NO OVERHANG for mounting your press on the bench top.

Let us know how that goes.

I won't know for a couple of weeks the press was back-ordered. I'm getting the Lee Challenger Breech Lock, I have more plywood so if I have to I can bolt the press to a small piece, then bolt to bench to allow for overhang. Thanks for the tip about mounting to the wall.

Looks good! Like Duke said, bolt it to a wall, put all of your heavy stuff on the bottom shelf, and it should be very stable. You could even put a couple of small shelves on the pegboard to store your scale, dies, etc. If you glue a strip of rubber to the bottom of each leg it will prevent any scratching or digging into a finished floor.

Enjoy!

It looks almost identical to my bench. You are definitely going to need to screw it to the wall, makes a huge difference! I also have the same press you ordered and the lack of overhang won't be a problem at all.
Here is a pic of mine, though the way it's set up has changed a lot since it was taken, the bench and press are the same.

Since you've already so aptly demonstrated your skills in this kind of project, might I suggest attaching another reinforced section of plywood (the same size as your existing workspace) to the right side of your bench top with a piano hinge so that it is flush with the bench top when lifted up. You can rig up two support legs that freely store on the bottom shelf, and then quickly attach with bolts and wing nuts through pre-drilled holes to give it support. This will double your available area when you're working, but only add another 3-4" to the overall size for day to day living. [grin]

If you want, I can put together a quick plan and email it to you to show you what I'm describing.

Agree with the sturdy modifications. If you're pulling the bench over while full-length resizing, you'd might as well just use the hand-held press variety and start with everything in your lap already.

Looks great. If you either attach to the wall or store a few hundred pounds of lead on the bottom it will be stable, and take Mr T's (never thought I would be saying this in a sentence) suggestion seriously...you can never have too much desktop.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have Lyman's 47th edition handbook and will be getting the 49th. What would you suggest my second handbook be? I'm going the be starting with .45ACP

I like modern reloading second edition. But as far as loading the shelf with weight, it's not nearly as effective as screwing it to the studs in the wall. It does make it a pain to move, but it's worth it. I tried both, and now have some long screws into the wall, and it doesn't move at all.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have Lyman's 47th edition handbook and will be getting the 49th. What would you suggest my second handbook be? I'm going the be starting with .45ACP

I use Lee Reloading equipment and refer to Lee's Modern Reloading Second Edition. I also have several other manuals, including Lyman's, which will give you the information you need to get going.

Look at ALL of the books, and YOU decide which book(s) have the best info, for the way that you like to see it presented.
It's kinda like asking, "What car should I buy?"

Back
Top Bottom