small pistol primers

I am going to reload some 9mm. Would any small pistol primer do, if I do not have the exact one called for by the recipe?

I used to think that the primer was critical in my pistol loads, but the component shortages have taught me differently. Over the past few years I have used many different brands and magnum primers, in my 9mm and 40 loads and found very little difference on the chrono.

I used to think that the primer was critical in my pistol loads, but the component shortages have taught me differently. Over the past few years I have used many different brands and magnum primers, in my 9mm and 40 loads and found very little difference on the chrono.

My experience has shown me that most of the time, very little is 'critical' in pistol rounds. With a few exceptions, as long as the bullet is the right size and the load cycles the gun, it's all good.

Rifles are a different story. Something as simple as a primer change can wreak havoc with your accuracy.

Some people also use small rifle primers in 9mm loads. As others have said, I think you can use what ever you can find.

Back
Top Bottom