• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Small pistol and small rifle primers?

Ok. So I picked up 5 100ct packs of Winchester small pistol primers to load up some 9mm. When I got home, and started loading, I noticed that one of the packs is small rifle primers. They look to be the same size bit the color on the inside is green instead of red.

My question is; can I use the small rifle primers in my pistol loads? Would they not work even if they seat in the primer pocket?

StevensMarksman

I use small rifle primers for my 40S&W and 38Super loads. As TY43215 mentions, you have to work up a load specifically for the primer you are using. Seating should not be a problem with small rifle in a pistol case, however, large rifle primers are taller than large pistol and do not share the same interchangeability.

Sweet! Thanks! I wasn't looking forward to having to explain to my wife that I had to buy a new AR because I had to use up these small rifle primers I bought by mistake.

StevensMarksman

Some powders react more than others to hotter primers. Accurate #7 seems to pick up a good amount of velocity, but something like Power Pistol doesn't, at least in my experience. There is no amount to decrease a max load to be safe. Be sure to start really low and work your way back up if you loading towards the maximum.

Some powders react more than others to hotter primers. Accurate #7 seems to pick up a good amount of velocity, but something like Power Pistol doesn't, at least in my experience. There is no amount to decrease a max load to be safe. Be sure to start really low and work your way back up if you loading towards the maximum.
Using Winchester WST. I will follow your advice. Lord knows I don't want to break my gun, or my hand, or my face. I've been loading what would probably be max if there was data on that powder in 9mm. It's only a hundred count of primers, so bring it back a bit is no great loss considering the problems that could arise.

StevensMarksman

Back
Top Bottom