• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Small Game Hunting - NH

Looking to go small game hunting with someone who is willing to take me along. From the Salem, NH area, looking to hunt in NH. Please PM me.
Small game is closed season now until September 1 for grey squirrel.

Coyote is year round in NH. Red squirrel is year round though.......the game you are allowed to harvest now is pretty limited till fall.

The options for accessible, edible game are rather limited right now.

As mentioned above, options for accessible, edible game are rather limited right now, really just the open season on mostly nuisance animals, aka the "unrestricted species".
Looking to go small game hunting with someone who is willing to take me along.
Assume you already have a NH hunting license, a 22 and a suppressor?

As mentioned above, options for accessible, edible game are rather limited right now, really just the open season on mostly nuisance animals, aka the "unrestricted species".

I have several 22 and 17 rifles. NH license yes, suppressors not yet.

Why would he "need" a suppressor?

OP......I have eaten red squirrel.....and grey squirrel. reds have a "piney" flavor to them so I don't harvest them. But if you are itching to hunt they are always open season so you won't have to wait till fall. Now.......as far as hunting squirrels you need a hunting license even if there is no closed season on the species you take. Squirrels are the greatest way to start hunting in my opinion. Plenty of them around. With reds........you'll need to find thicker stands of coniferous trees like hemlock spruce or white pine. They tend to like that habitat the best. Find some WMA land.......go north though as Southern NH/Northern MA is at about the southern limit to the range of the red squirrel in large numbers. You can find em down here but they are much more plentiful the farther north you go. When hunting.....it is all about increasing your odds so go where they are more plentiful.

Greys.......find hardwood stands oak hickory that's where they like to be.

22 rimfire of course fine on squirrel. I prefer to do my squirrel hunting with a shotgun though.......don't have to wait for em to stop moving and you can take shots upward without worrying about that 22 bullet traveling too far. For greys I use a 12g full choke with #4 shot. Lots of guys tell me I'm nuts using that much horsepower......but I know my gun.,........that setup will reach the tops of any tree in new England..........and if the squirrel is up close (under 20 yards) I know how to aim "off" a bit and hit em with the fringe of the pattern. I don't ruin meat on a squirrel because I know my equipment well.

On reds..........I'd go 410 bore shotgun or 22 rifle.......they are ALOT smaller than grey squirrels.......a bit larger than a chipmunk for the most part.

You should be able to get going all by yourself with squirrel. early morning as the sun comes up and 2 hours before sunset is the most active time. find a woods lot with the habitat you are after (red or grey) and sneak in before sunup........sit and wait. Listen......you'll hear them cutting on nuts or chewing mast. Look into the trees on calm days....when its windy keep your eyes looking bottom 1/3 of the canopy or lower to the ground they don't tend to climb much when the trees are swinging hard.

Good luck

Got your pm. I could help you out but I'm done Hunting till fall now that I filled my turkey tag.

I also don't hunt NH......I'm from mass.

But seriously.....I encourage you to go out on your own. Squirrel hunting is a good way to figure it out by yourself. I've only been hunting 6 years.......first season I got one squirrel.......now that I've been doing it a few seasons I never strike out and have plenty of Grey's in the freezer. You learn from being out there and doing it. It's how I learned my success rate improved using a shotgun vs. a 22 rifle.

Try it out on your own and let us know how it goes for you.

Does anybody have good advice on southern nh squirrel hunting? Ive never hunted before but really want to start!
Does anybody have good advice on southern nh squirrel hunting? Ive never hunted before but really want to start!
You go into the woods and shoot the squirrels. Jack.

Get in the woods early.....well before sunrise. Sit in an oak stand or even better find a stand of hickory. In the morning after sunup they squirrels take to the trees and move around alot. Don't look for squirrels.....look for leaves shaking......then focus on that spot to locate the squirrel.

For best success use a shotgun not a 22 rifle. #4-#6 birdshot 12 or 20 gauge high brass through a full choke.....yes I said high brass full choke. Will reach the top of any tree in new england. If the squirrel is in close.....like 25 yards of less let em get farther away or lead off slightly to hit em with the fringe of the pattern.

Also late afternoon is good for a slow silent walk looking for movement in the trees.

Windy days are tougher to spot movement.....but....the squirrels stay in the bottom third of the canopy so focus attention there. Calm days they go higher up and it's easier to see the trees shake.

If your slow walking in the woods look for fresh chewed acorns and nuts on the ground......sit there for a bit if you see that sign.

Good luck

You go into the woods and shoot the squirrels. Jack.
Anyone can just go in the woods and happen accross a squirrel.....but to limit out regularly takes some skill ......not alot of skill by any means.......but a small amount of skill. If you spend 4 hours wandering around a stand of white pine/hemlock forest your not going to find a bunch of Grey's .

If you hit them in a dead run they will roll like Sonic the Hedgehog, it's pretty comical. I need to go-pro it the next time.

If you hit them in a dead run they will roll like Sonic the Hedgehog, it's pretty comical. I need to go-pro it the next time.
Done it with snow shoe hare and cottontail too......had a cottontail Endo like 3 times once. Laughed my balls off. [rofl]

It's almost September 1st again. Anyone have vermin issues and or want to go get some squirrels?

This year's rigs

10/22 w/ Volquartsen FireFly running CCI quiet and Sparrow 22 or Mark IV 22/45 Lite with Sparrow 22
I just use a shotgun on em.

I'm looking for vengeance on the species that I found out just ate the vent cap on my diesel fuel can. WTF? At first I thought the cap had popped in the heat, but turns out the cap was chewed off. I may use the pellet gun on the ones around my house, but I think the flavor of wild animals that don't eat garbage will probably be better.

For some reason I cannot PM you I am a travel nurse from MA if you want to hunt some type of small game lets set something up.
Between NH, VT and MA I am sure we can find something in season.

Back
Top Bottom