• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Small easy-open bedside "safe"

that's all i need. I just didn't want it getting opened in a hurry, hitting the 90 degree mark, and coming back down to get in the way.

One thing to consider, that I ran into some years ago with an AMSEC locking box, was that the height prevented it from being opened if put beneath a bed.

In my case, I can't put anything under the bed, since it is a platform type. The box that I linked to might be perfect for an under bed position in a regular situation, though, since the door opens from the front. You would just have to "feel" the keypad, enter the combo, and it would snap down for access.

I also use the combo based GunValuts for transport to and from the range. They are very small and fit in my range bag. But I wouldn't recommend these for night stand use since it would take much longer to open as you would need to grab a flash light, then fumble with the tumblers to get it open. You want something much faster.

I've got the Nano Gun Vault in the car for when I have to leave a firearm behind. Its secured, attached to the frame, and well hidden so I'm in compliance with the law. I don't do it often, but with some of the smaller firearms (LCP, PF9, etc), I sometimes forget I am carrying and end up at the border of another state with a dilemma. In that case, it comes in very handy while I traverse that state. It would also work for night stand use since its very fast to access, although I prefer not to rely on electronics for access.

I prefer the safes based on the Simplex locks. No batteries, can be opened in the dark by feel, and won't let you down. Very reliable. Once I put my hand on the safe, I have my firearm in hand ready to go in 3 seconds flat. The one I use is a Titan Safe - (link to video). Somewhat expensive, but I like how it works, and that I can move it from place to place easily if needed and secure it with a second mounted bracket (or use the cable) in the car, vacation condo, motel, etc.

home defense gun = not locked up.

Don't be a dead sheep

Remember, safes protect your killer, not you. Sleep tight, MA law obiding commie. Or grow a pair, and exercise your right.

I wish one size fit all, then we could all have .45s super glued to our hands and be ready 110% of the time :)

I do use a safe, and it slows me down by a couple seconds. But other security measure mitigate that risk entirely and give me ample time to deploy and be ready and waiting when the bad guy finally arrives. I could probably even sneak in a cigarette while waiting if I still smoked, so a few seconds is really inconsequential. No dead sheep here! :)

And I differ, it indeed protects the owner. Should my small kids wonder in to the bedroom at night, I don't have an issue with my own guilt in the aftermath, or with the law. Others may be living in the same house that you would rather not have unrestricted access to the firearm, but I still want immediate access. When friends visit the house, and bring their kids, nothing changes in my procedures. Plenty of valid reasons to use a locked safe for self defense handguns.

Regardless of any laws, I would still have them locked up in a quick access safe. But then again, I don't have a shower gun, down't wear a helmet with my seat belt while driving a car, nor wrap myself in saran wrap during the winter flu season. Heck, some people even ride motorcycles without helmets! So maybe its just me ;)

If the difference of a second or two in deployment is a valid concern, then IMO a review of overall security measures are in order!

Its so funny the most vocal posters that denounce someones own personal choices if it doesn't fit 'their view of the world', are from the state that is known for leaving personal choices up to the individual. What's up with that? ;) (No one in particular, but a trend that is quite obvious at NES.)

Last edited:
I also have the gunvault, and have had no issues. I keep 3 hanguns in there as I rotate carry options. It is on my nightstand, and is left open at night for easy access, and locked as soon as I wake up and gear up!

I see these when I go to Eastern Safe and Security, and I think I might go ahead and buy one to replace my GunVault.

The Fort Knox safes are awesome and definitely the way to go.

Just as a simple comparison, the Fort Knox safe weighs 24 pounds. The larger Gun Vault safe weighs 9 pounds.

Much more steel, and a very reliable locking mechanism to protect your firearms. I have both the Fort Knox and Gun Vaults.

Last edited:
The Fort Knox safes are awesome and definitely the way to go.

Just as a simple comparison, the Fort Knox safe weighs 24 pounds. The larger Gun Vault safe weighs 9 pounds.

Much more steel, and a very reliable locking mechanism to protect your firearms. I have both the Fort Knox and Gun Vaults.

Yeah I feel my GunVault could easily be pried open. The metal on the Fort Knox one is MUCH thicker and sturdier, even has a little piston inside to assist in opening effortlessly, has a button combination so you can operate it in the dark and is mechanical so there are no batteries to die on you either. I played with one a little at Eastern Safe and Security and quickly decided that I want one haha. At that point I can sell my GunVault to recoup some of my money.

036.jpg 037.jpg i mounted a stack on digital safe to the side of the bed. you can enter your own code. batteries lasted a year. i lock it during the day and leave it unlocked at night. very good investment. during the day it's covered and you can't see it.

Simplex vs Electronic....

With regard to the digital/battery Gun Valut line, I should have pointed out in my last post that I have three and do recommend them. The Nano size (for the car), standard size (for daily carry firearm), and the larger deluxe (gun bench storage). In the last 4 years I've had them, I've never had a problem with any of them. The batteries last well over a year, and give me ample warning when they are low. I would recommend them for home defense use with two caveats.

One, they are used often enough to catch the battery low warning indication. If its not used enough, I could see the battery dying and locking out the owner, such that they key is needed. But if used say once a month, I can't see that happening.

Two, that the user practices to make the code entry nearly automatic and 100% accurate. If you enter the wrong code by accident with the electronic locks, it takes 10-15 seconds for the electronics to reset before allowing re-entry, or the user has to enter up to the max key presses to cause it to reset earlier. I.e., if your code is 4 key presses, and it has a max of 6 presses it will store, if the code was entered incorrectly the user can enter two more presses to cause it to reset after the max, rather than waiting for the time out. If you accidentally enter 3 presses to reset, you reset it and then entered another key press to the second attempt, and will have to enter 5 more presses to again reset it. Under stress I wouldn't want to have to manage this ;) With the Simplex lock, you can twist the knob to reset it immediately at any time and re-enter, so its much faster to reset after a bad entry.

Those two advantages led me to select the Simplex lock for bedside storage, while I have no problems with using the electronic locks for non-immediate access storage, I just prefer the Simplex for those reasons.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom