• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Small Claims Court Question....

First off, thanks for checking this out, all of you have great input on many topics and I was hoping you could give me some input. A while back I wrote about my dealings with a scumbag contractor. Yesterday afternoon, yes almost 2 years later (not hearing anything and thinking I was finally done with this thief) I receive a notice to appear in small claims court. My question is this, do you recommend submitting an "answer" to the court? Or just show up? Show up and submit an answer? I have everything in writing(contracts, cashed checks, etc. that spell everything out) and this thing is a no brainer, what would you do? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I just want to be done with this...

Thanks
yosemite....

Hire a good attorney. If you have everything in your favor, and you feel you will win the case hands down, then they will also have to pay your attorney fees.

I would definitely show up with everything in hand. If it's small claims I don't think I would bother with an attorney. I certainly wouldn't assume it's a "no brainer" and not show up in person thinking the judge will just find in your favor. Is he filing against you? or you against him?

If you don't show in person, you most likely lose by default. A lot of times companies will pay a low budget lawyer at the court to say the "here" when their name is called. This happened to me. I went and noticed some woman answering "here" for many names called. The judge defaulted all those who were not present or represented. When I got to the judge, she had to tell him that her client was not here and he ruled in my favor.

Make sure you go in person.

If you don't show in person, you most likely lose by default. A lot of times companies will pay a low budget lawyer at the court to say the "here" when their name is called. This happened to me. I went and noticed some woman answering "here" for many names called. The judge defaulted all those who were not present or represented. When I got to the judge, she had to tell him that her client was not here and he ruled in my favor.

Make sure you go in person.

Absolutely true. This was my experience as well. Make multiple copies of the paperwork so you can provide a copy to the court and the plaintiff. Be prepared for multiple appearances as the case can often be continued for "mind boggling" reasons. If he is a regular in that court the judge will know him and it will be taken into account.

Bob

Absolutely true. This was my experience as well. Make multiple copies of the paperwork so you can provide a copy to the court and the plaintiff. Be prepared for multiple appearances as the case can often be continued for "mind boggling" reasons. If he is a regular in that court the judge will know him and it will be taken into account.

Bob
That be my plan......you do not need a atty. Restate you position on paper for refrence, and wear jacket n' tie.

Back
Top Bottom