• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Small child shoots AK-47

Don't know the mechanics of an AK-47, but he should have had it in semi-mode if possible, not F/A.

That kid looks 10-12 and Palestinian/Muslim terrorists have been training kids that age to shoot AKs for more years than I care to count. IIRC, stories from 'Nam were similar.

Don't think it was an age/size thing . . . but F/A can "get away from you" if you're not prepared for it, thus better to start off with one-pull = one-shot mode for a while.

I looked at some of the 'kids with guns' videos on Youtube and while I don't have an issue with youngsters learning how to properly handle firearms, with some of the videos, I had the impression of a somewhat drunken "Hey let's see how the kid handles a BIG gun, harr harr harr" rather than "Son, this is how you sight down the barrel, and make sure you keep your finger off... ".

This shall be my son's first rifle when he's ready:

J. Stevens Tipup Model 1 in .22LR. Small, light and controllable. Fires one shot at a time and breaks open like a shotgun to load.

92-100_1494.jpg

That kid looks 10-12 and Palestinian/Muslim terrorists have been training kids that age to shoot AKs for more years than I care to count. IIRC, stories from 'Nam were similar.

Indeed. Even more extreme, Hutu Militia forces and other African Paramilitary forces, particularly in Sierra Leone, have been abducting children and turning them into child warriors at the age of 8 and 9 even. Salient to our conversation is the fact that the weapon of choice is the ubiquitous AK 47 (in one for or another).

I looked at some of the 'kids with guns' videos on Youtube and while I don't have an issue with youngsters learning how to properly handle firearms, with some of the videos, I had the impression of a somewhat drunken "Hey let's see how the kid handles a BIG gun, harr harr harr" rather than "Son, this is how you sight down the barrel, and make sure you keep your finger off... ".

This shall be my son's first rifle when he's ready:

J. Stevens Tipup Model 1 in .22LR. Small, light and controllable. Fires one shot at a time and breaks open like a shotgun to load.

An intelligent choice.

Mine was the equally appropriate Ithaca Model 49 "Saddle Gun;" a Martini-action single-shot that required a separate cocking of the hammer to fire. A superb "first gun," both as to size and mode of operation.

It is now the First Gun of my 10-year old goddaughter, whose mother pronounced the gun "beautiful."

Which, with its select walnut, 6 hand-rubbed coats of lacquer and gold-plated hammer and trigger, it is.

Back
Top Bottom