Small 9mm for carry - what to get?

dwarven1 said:
Yeah, but I already have a 9mm Kurz (short)! [smile] Nice try, Jay. I saw this last night. [wink]

Heh heh heh. Hey, did you get to try the Kel-Tec you were interested in? I saw one at the Marlboro gun show, a P-11, actually at the Powder Keg table. It's a nice gun, and I would have bought it if I hadn't been saving my pennies.

Jay G said:
Heh heh heh. Hey, did you get to try the Kel-Tec you were interested in? I saw one at the Marlboro gun show, a P-11, actually at the Powder Keg table. It's a nice gun, and I would have bought it if I hadn't been saving my pennies.
I did... and it seemed to be very sensitive to how I held it; got several FTF's. Nice gun otherwise, but with it being touchy about how it was held, I just didn't think I'd have any confidence in it as a carry gun. [sad]

The quest continues... I'll find something. Just may take a bit. Either that or I'll see if I can find a gunsmith to change the sights and lighten the trigger pull to something civilized on the PPK.

Dwarven, do all dwarves have as much difficulty selecting a new gun? You're almost like a young lady trying to figure out what to order for dinner at a fine restaurant.

Sheesh!

Last edited:
Chuck said:
What do you think about the Star Firestar? ...

That's my carry 9mm. But I didn't mention it as Dwarven specified DA & and pocket carry. The Firestar M-43 is SA. Also, mine has ripped one too many pockets (it being all steel), and now travels in a pancake belt holster. I just don't think of it as a pocket gun.

I've never shot the Firestar. I know that it's Anita Blake's favorite for a backup. [smile] Anyway, I think YA only has an online presence even though his address is Northboro. I'd want to see it first.

I have my buddy's Firestar .40S&W that I'll probably bring to the range to try out this weekend, but I'm a little nervous about firing it... the safety doesn't seem to engage when it's cocked! Anyway... can you even get parts/mags for the Firestar any more? I thought I heard that Star was out of business?

and Darius?
blbl.gif
blbl.gif
blbl.gif
blbl.gif
blbl.gif

Cross-X said:
Decide already!
Geez, Darius... what's your rush? You'd think YOU were selling a pocket pistol!

I'll get something when I find one I like. If you don't like it, don't read this thread! [wink]

dwarven1 said:
(a) I've never shot the Firestar.
(b) I know that it's Anita Blake's favorite for a backup.
(c) ... can you even get parts/mags for the Firestar any more? I thought I heard that Star was out of business?

(a) I can fix that if you're ever up in the Kittery ME neighborhood.
(b) Who?
(c) Yes, they are out of business, but there are good related sites, such as this forum, and I've bought parts from Numrich and Ipar (in Spain) without difficulty.

Hmmm. Looks like the Ipar site is down. Try this link also.

Ray P said:
(a) I can fix that if you're ever up in the Kittery ME neighborhood.
(b) Who?
(c) Yes, they are out of business, but there are good related sites, such as this forum, and I've bought parts from Numrich and Ipar (in Spain) without difficulty.

Hmmm. Looks like the Ipar site is down. Try this link also.
A: Might take you up on that.
B: I see you found out who already. That didn't take long... my only complaint is that for someone who deals with creatures so much faster than her, WHY does she carry her Browning & Firestar in condition 3???
C: I'll have to take a look.

Please do. With a little heads-up, we can meet up at the South Berwick Rod & Gun range about 12-15 miles north of KTP on Rte 236.

dwarven1 said:
I've never shot the Firestar

Neither have I. But I did fondle it this afternoon when I picked up my new-to-me LaRocca 1911. It's heavy, much more then my Glock 26. I'd guess in the 30 ounce range. I didn't know it was SA (I don't think the model at the show was), but I noticed today that the safety is down for fire like a 1911, not up like our Walther/Bersa. I liked the sights and for me it seemed to line up nice and quick. It could use a dehorning but the weight might preclude pocket carry. Heck, now that I've though about it, maybe I should get it myself! I've only bought 2 guns since the wife left me alone for the week on business -- I've got time to get more before she returns and takes the credit cards away!

cheers,
Chuck

Chuck said:
It's heavy...in the 30 ounce range.
I didn't know it was SA...the weight might preclude pocket carry.

Yes, it is heavy. It weighs 1.88 lbs (or 30 oz) empty per the owner's manual.

Also per the manual, the Model M-43 single-stack 9mm Starfire is single action. See page 4/14. The pistol does have a pinned trigger that looks DA, but it is SA. The pinned SA trigger is a charactaristic it shares with the BHP, IIRC. I did a quick check, and the Firestar Plus is also SA.

Chuck, was the pistol you looked at blue or starvel plated? Last I looked, KTP had a starvel M-43, but I have no idea how possible it would be to bring that pistol into MA.

Ray P said:
Yes, it is heavy. It weighs 1.88 lbs (or 30 oz) empty per the owner's .
Didn't know my hands were so well calibrated!

Ray P said:
Chuck, was the pistol you looked at blue or starvel plated?
Have to admit to not knowing what starvel means. But it is blue. See for yourself on Yankee Artifacts
http://www.yankeeartifacts.com/ProductPics/0000687W0.jpg
http://www.yankeeartifacts.com/ProductPics/0000687W1.jpg.
http://www.yankeeartifacts.com/ProductPics/0000687W2.jpg

It's got me thinking I tell ya. If my wife hadn't shot the Glock 17 so much this weekend (first 5 shots in the bull of an IDPA target from 15 yards!), I might look into this one for her. Cheap. Heavy enough to absorb recoil. Single stack to get her wee hands around it. Hmmm....

enjoy,
Chuck

Cross-X said:
Whassamatta, is your charm pill wearing off??? [smile]
No, I'm just starting to dread reading this thread. I like the advice from the other posters, it's the abuse that's starting to wear thin.

I actually have other things to do in my life than search for the "perfect" pocket gun, y'know... job, Lodge, reading the endless stream of "when are you going to buy something" posts... [wink] Lighten up a little, OK, Darius? It's getting a little old, m'friend.

If I wanted something immediately, I'd have gone out and bought the first thing I saw. Since I have a pretty particular set of requirements, I'm going to take my time looking.

Ahh, Ross, give him a break. To some people the search for the perfect pocket pistol (and helping others) is one of the most important things in life.

Besides, I think it's just Darius' way of saying:

"I love ya, man."

Without going through the agony of not getting yer Bud Light.

[smile]

dwarven1 said:
If I wanted something immediately, I'd have gone out and bought the first thing I saw. Since I have a pretty particular set of requirements, I'm going to take my time looking.

The purpose of the journey is not the destination, but the trip itself.

When you can snatch the CS9 from my hand, it will be time for you to go........ [wink]

When you can snatch the CS9 from my hand, it will be time for you to go........

A lousy CS9?

Fudgeddaboutit.

Come back when you have a Baby Glock and I'll make that bad boy fly outta yer hand.

[smile]

Ross,
Just wondering, which Kel-tec did you try? The P-11 or the newer PF-9? The PF-9 is a little slimmer although slightly longer than the P-11 and might be better suited to pocket carry. Either might be a little long though.

I have the P-3AT & it's been reliable and comfortable as a pocket carry. It's not pleasant to shoot for any length of time, but that's not the purpose of this one. I haven't had the chance to try either of the 9s yet, hopefully this summer.

CD

Chuck said:
...Have to admit to not knowing what starvel means. But it is blue. See for yourself...
Cheap. Heavy enough to absorb recoil. Single stack to get her wee hands around it. Hmmm....
Whoops! Starvel was Star's proprietary nickel process.
For the reasons you mention, my daughter finds it to be a very comfortably shooting gun. It looses major points on the bling factor though; its just not stainless.[rolleyes]

Still not so sure this gun fits Dwarven's criteria on pocketability & double action. but it is a great little gun for IWB or belt carry. If you go for it, the Bianchi mdl 105, size 9 fits very well.

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
FPrice said:
Come back when you have a Baby Glock and I'll make that bad boy fly outta yer hand.

Ooooooooooh, a "Baby Glock." Sounds real intimidating........ [rolleyes]

Last edited:
FPrice said:
Spoken like a man who is routinely under-estimates capabilities.

No, spoken like a man that owned a Glock. Note the PAST tense..............

And I would NEVER use one for a pocket gun. Darwin nominee lists are rife with such fools.

No, spoken like a man that owned a Glock. Note the PAST tense..............

all the more for those of us who like and shoot them well.

And I would NEVER use one for a pocket gun. Darwin nominee lists are rife with such fools.

Any particular reason why? I use them IWB myself because they are a bit heavier than I like in my pockets. I am just curious what your reasons are.

FPrice said:
Any particular reason why? I use them IWB myself because they are a bit heavier than I like in my pockets. I am just curious what your reasons are.

Google "Glock" and "discharge" and go brew some coffee. The results will take a while to load. The firearms forums are full of threads documenting the self-crippling consequences of putting a gun with no real safeties and a short trigger pull in one's waistband "Mexican carry." [rolleyes]

I think of it as yet another form of ballistic natural selection.

Scrivener said:
Google "Glock" and "discharge" and go brew some coffee. The results will take a while to load. The firearms forums are full of threads documenting the self-crippling consequences of putting a gun with no real safeties and a short trigger pull in one's waistband "Mexican carry." [rolleyes]

I think of it as yet another form of ballistic natural selection.

Um, scrivener. I somehow knew you were going to say something like this.

I dare you to find anywhere in any internet forum or other venue where I have either advocated, agreed with, or otherwise gone along quietly with use of a pocket pistol without a holster or any form of "Mexican carry". Recommendation of a particuar model of firearm for pocket carry is one thing. The actual method of carry to include an appropriate holster is something else. To the best of my recollection no one in this thread has mentioned either pocket carry without a holster or Mexican carry. Why you choose this as your response is a mystery at best.

Having learned from some of the best, my recommendation for carry always includes a holster appropriate to the firearm and the method of carry. I also counsel repeated practise (with an unloaded firearm of course) to insure that you can safely draw and present your firearm.

It is amazing sometimes how you connect totally unconnected subjects. When (and if) we discuss carry methods we will be sure to inform you so that you can participate.

Oh, one more thing. All my Glocks have a safety. It's about three pounds of gray matter which I (and many others) use to keep all of our firearms handling safe.

Back
Top Bottom