• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sluggers vs. Sabot Slugs

Mossy Oak

Banned
Are Remington Sluggers and Remington Sabot Slugs both acceptable for use in a smooth shotgun barrel, or is one of these meant ONLY for rifled shotgun barrels?

Sabots are only for rifled barrels. The rifling in a regular slug is not to stabilize the projectile just to crush down and help seal gasses

Even a rifled choke in a smoothbore may not release the sabot from the bullet - causing it to tumble. The only sabot-type solution I have seen for a smoothbore is the Brenneke K.O's. (yellow trimmed box) It's a Sabot with a "pusher" that will get the slug spinning in a smoothbore. Sluggers seem to be the fodder for smoothbore guns, but with barrels a relatively inexpensive option for many shotguns, I'm at a loss as to why people still use them. The technology behind sabots is really something. I was shooting Remington Accu-Tips and Hornady SST's and was quite surprised at the groups I was getting at 100-yards.

, but with barrels a relatively inexpensive option for many shotguns, I'm at a loss as to why people still use them.

I use a pumkin chucker for my walking gun. With open sights it is dead on at 50 yards. More than accurate enough for still hunting or doing drives. Plus the rifled slugs are much cheaper than sabots. So that is why I keep my smoothbore with foster slugs. I reserve sabots for my scoped stand gun.

I use a pumkin chucker for my walking gun. With open sights it is dead on at 50 yards. More than accurate enough for still hunting or doing drives. Plus the rifled slugs are much cheaper than sabots. So that is why I keep my smoothbore with foster slugs. I reserve sabots for my scoped stand gun.

True enough - I used to hunt deer with a side by side 16ga LeFever. Which reminds me - I need to track down a firing pin.....

Back
Top Bottom