• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Slide release on 1911 breaks

As mentioned in a thread on training I put up,* I had the slide release on a Colt 1991A1 break at approx 1000rnds into the course. The gun was modified by a smith, but the slide release was stock Colt. Exact rnd count on the gun is unknown, as I purchased it used, but I do not believe the gun had a high rnd count on it when I purchased it (seller claimed well under 1000 and from the pristine condition of the gun, seemed right) and I have put approx another 5k on it, so it's easily under 10k total.

First time that's ever happened to me with a 1911. Are there any specific user errors that could cause that I should be aware of? Put it down to a bad part and forget it? Ever have that happen to you?

* = http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49055&highlight=jeff+gonzales

I've put about 20,000 rounds through various 1911s. I've never broken a slide stop. I'd take it to a good 1911 gunsmith and have him look it over, just to make sure there isn't something else about the gun that might have caused the part to break.

I've put about 20,000 rounds through various 1911s. I've never broken a slide stop. I'd take it to a good 1911 gunsmith and have him look it over, just to make sure there isn't something else about the gun that might have caused the part to break.

I know slide stop breakage is considered one of the inherent flaws of the design, but it's never happened to me and I have 10k-20k rnds on other 1911s myself. Will have smith (Greg Derr) take a look at it, but so far I am putting it down to "shi& happens" and move on...

I also suspect it is just a bad part. But I'm cautious by nature, so that's why I'd have Greg Derr look it over.

I also suspect it is just a bad part. But I'm cautious by nature, so that's why I'd have Greg Derr look it over.

I sent him the part to look at and send back a new Ed brown replacement. I took the Ed Brown from another gun and tried it in the Colt, and it ran perfectly for 500rnd, so I didn't see a reason to drive down there with the gun. I have the feeling a stock Colt slide release is not as tough as the Ed Brown that will replace it. [wink]

I would just chaulk that up to an old/weak part. That little tab that contacts the magazine follower isn't normally stressed so much as to break often.

When you install your new part, you can take your receiver down partly, to remove the safety spring and plungers, and install the slide stop without the slide in place. Check to see that the slide stop moves freely up and down in it's recess in the receiver while there is no pressure from the safety plunger. If your new part is slightly out of spec, you'll notice it might bind a little in it's up & down movement. That is pretty rare though, with quality parts.

Back
Top Bottom