Slide does not lock back when mag is empty on my Glock.

Is that curved piece suppose to be curved or straight that sticks out over the mag?
glockextractor.jpg

for twice the price, twice the weight, half the capacity, and half the [STRIKE]reliablility [/STRIKE]reliability.... nah
[puke] [smile][wink]

So back to my question, why isn't the slide locking back after the last round is fired?

Seriously though..... is it possible that you're riding the slide lock? It very easy to do on a Sig, much harder, but not impossible on a Glock. That's all I got.

Probably. While I'm not a glock guy, I think I attended an IDPA practice where someone had this exact problem with a glock ?17? magazine.

Clean it, use stronger ammo and if all else fails check that the main spring is the right one. The slide can come back and cycle without coming back enough to lock the mag. Also, weak ammo will cause the slide to cycle, but the mag to not lock, again because cycling can happen without the mag lock working. Especially on brand new guns with brand new springs. My BIL just got a 226 and he shot some rem bulk pack and it didn't lock back. He shot winchester and it did. The pressure was lower on the bulk pack and couldn't cycle the sigs enough.

It happens to me on occasion to my sigs because I never clean them. I blast them with powder blast and it's all good. I don't shoot my glock enough to get it dirty so YMMV.

Lastly, if someone used a .40 cal recoil spring, it would cycle on regular ammo and possibly not lock back. Nothing ever good happens with a .40... [grin]

Last edited:
So back to my question, why isn't the slide locking back after the last round is fired?

Try few mags loaded with 1 round each shooting with left hand only. If the slide locks back every time - you are holding the lever down when you are shooting right hand/freestyle, which causes the slide not to lock back.

Assuming you're not riding the slide release lever with your thumb, this is typically a symptom of a weak mag spring, or an old mag follower.

Here's what a quick search on Glock Talk came up with:

Remove the slide from your gun. Slap a mag in place. Look at the spot where the horizontal metal flange on the slide stop overlaps the recess in the left front corner of the mag follower.

Do you see good engagement there & did it push the lever upward? It might be that there's something wrong with either the slide lock, or your mag followers. On some Glocks, if the frame was not molded right, there is way too much side-to-side clearance inside the handle, allowing the mags to sometimes sit all the way over to the right, which lets the mag follower move all the way up after the last shell is fired, without touching the slide lock. If this is the case though, you gun would have had this problem since new.

Next time the gun fails to lock the slide back after firing, pull the slide back and re-examine where the metal flange on the lever is supposed to overlap the follower, to see if the follower has moved up, right past the flange, without hitting it. If the flange IS overlapping the follower properly, then I'd look at the part of the lever that engages with the notch in the slide to see if it is worn down. If it shows a lot of wear, then yes, replace it.

Possibilities for slide failure to lock after last round:
1. operator thumb
2. defective slide stop lever
3. worn follower
4. worn magazine spring.

You can check and eliminate items 2, 3 and 4:
1. Unloade you pistol and all magazines
2. insert empty magazine into pistol
3. Pull back slide all the way and let it go
4. repeat several times with each magazine
If it locks back every time, causes 2, 3 and 4 are ok

With an empty mag in the pistol, manually pull the slide completely to the rear. If the slide locks it is most likely that the ammo you are using isn't powerful enough to completely cycle the slide or that the gun is so dirty that it isn't functioning properly. Clean the gun. If that doesn't work, try some new ammo.

Back
Top Bottom