Sleep improvement...

quincy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using CPAP for over 10 years now. Since I’m now on Medicare, I needed a new sleep study so that I could get a new machine. The doctor gave me a DIY home sleep test apparatus that I used for two nights. It measures respiration rate and blood O2. Very simple to use. I highly recommend finding a sleep doc that uses this method. Got my new machine and it’s like night and day from the old one. Blankets are good but they don’t help when you stop breathing for a minute a couple of times an hour and your blood O2 level drops below 70%. Just saying.

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m using a weighted blanket now. 20lb king size. This is in combination with a “bed in a box” memory foam mattress. Both bought on amazon. This setup is ideal for back ergonomics.

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
There's a lot of factors involved in getting a good night's sleep. And everyone is a bit different.

What I know for sure it's without good sleep or lives do suffer...

Energizer

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son has autism, and one of the symptoms is needing/getting little-to-no sleep. When he was very young he would literally sleep for an hour and then be wide awake. For a few years we tried everything - from melatonin to Rx meds to more exercise/physical activity, compression garments, white noise machines, etc - but nothing worked. Because he couldn't be left awake and unattended - my wife and I almost lost our minds (and marriage) from sleep deprivation. When we finally discovered the weighted blankets it was a god send, both for him and the rest of the household members.

12+ years later, he still has a weighted blanket (30 lbs) - as do several other relatives that were having trouble sleeping. We recommended trying a weighted blanket and almost all have said they helped. Good luck.

vario

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have just the nose mask. Similar to the pillows but covers the nose. Some nights are better than others. I am starting to sleep better, and longer since i started to have dreams again. Weird ones, but none the less unless you are going into REM you will not dream, so the mask is starting to work.
In for the long haul.

zboys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I don't have Apnea but do struggle with "Restless Legs" as it is called, which will keep me up many nights or make my sleep generally poor.

For anyone having those issues, i have been using no-flush Niacin (needs to be inositol hexanicotinate, not regular Niacin) - I take it when it starts to bother me and it works very well and will stop most of the tremors/jerking

For general sleep improvement a couple of things I have done:
- The past month or so, I have minimally used my phone after dinner and have shut off the backlight to my kindle, instead using a yellow reading light. I think the blue light exposure has been causing some issued. The change has been noticeable and significant IMO
-In doing some genetic testing, it turns out I am very poor in metabolizing caffeine, so have mostly eliminated it and sleeping in better overall
My "restless legs" were from eating ice cream or snacks at night, no treats, no restless legs.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
About a decade ago I started a thread on using sleep apnea and ultimately using a CPAP machine.

Earlier this year I ended up having another test. The insurance company won't approve a new machine until they verify that one is still suffering. And to be clear sleep apnea untreated is suffering.

The tech was wiring me up and asked me if I moved my legs a lot during sleep. I was not sure, actually, and asked her why she wondered that. She said the back of my calves had no hair and that was a telltale sign. Huh...

So I got the new machine and a new type of mask and off I went.

Sleep was OK but not perfect. Some days I still was wiped out. And there was still no hair on the back of my legs.

I recently saw some info on weighted blankets and how it has helped some folks with sleep apnea and restless legs. So I bought one that weighs 20 pounds.

It's been a few weeks now and I am sleeping more deeply. Last night I had trouble falling asleep for whatever reason and was up until 2:30 AM watching Married with Children reruns. I got about 5 hours sleep total. And to be honest I'm not tired at all today.

So I'm wondering if any of y'all have experience with these weighted blankets?

Here's the one I bought:

Any other feedback?

Thanks

Rich
Nothing useful but i feel like it's when your a kid and you tell someone if there hand covers their face they will be x... then you hit the hand.

Buck Faker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I had terrible RLS until I started taking 1000 mg of iron every day. There are still many nights when I'm too wired to get to sleep. Melatonin 2 or 3 mg seems to solve that fairly quickly. But recently my arthritic knee is so bad it wakes me up several times per night. Don't know what to do about that.
This may be a bit of a side topic, but I recently tried Blue Emu for arthritic/joint/muscle pain and was floored by how effective it is. I have chronic joint/muscle pain from doing things that probably aren’t good for my body at my age (martial arts training a few times a week, CrossFit style workouts, etc.) something is always dinged up or sore and when I hit something hard it takes a while for the pain to go away. About a month ago my wrist was bugging me, I was thinking about CBD cream and picked up the generic version of Blue Emu at CVS, the stuff works great. Have an employee w. Chronic lower back pain who says it works well too. I keep a jar by my bedside for when I wake w a sore wrist or shoulder, takes care of it right away (I find it effective for around 3-4 hours at a time). Haven’t taken Alleve since I started using it. Also works well on the top of my foot which gets sore from kicking the bag. Definitely worth a try IMO.

Top Bottom