• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Slaughterbot" Autonomous Killer Drones

The fact that you might have the ability to do something doesn't mean that you should do it.
Sci Fi. Video from OP was produced to argue against developing such weapons, as you've suggested.

Unfortunately, much of the underlying technology exists today with the exception of being able to miniaturize the image processing / AI into the footprint shown. AI shown is significantly better than we have today. The image/feature/facial recognition, however, is pretty much doable now. Mostly a matter of time and dollars invested...

Sci Fi. Video from OP was produced to argue against developing such weapons, as you've suggested.

Unfortunately, much of the underlying technology exists today with the exception of being able to miniaturize the image processing / AI into the footprint shown. AI shown is significantly better than we have today. The image/feature/facial recognition, however, is pretty much doable now. Mostly a matter of time and dollars invested...
probably doable if you offload the image recognition to an AWS instance, through a wireless connection. that's the whole benefit of "the cloud"

probably doable if you offload the image recognition to an AWS instance, through a wireless connection. that's the whole benefit of "the cloud"

Interesting. Could use the concept of "motes". That is, partial implementation of AI on-board where "interesting" features or decision-trees are forwarded for in-depth processing. Or, along to a human pilot (e.g. the pause shown for the "is person alive or dead").

AI shown, overall, though is well beyond machine based processing today (I think). Also, having comms would open up the avenue for wide-spread RF counter-measures.

Despite the anti-white dog whistles in the video, the only entity likely to do this is the gubmint and I'd bet there are folks at DARPA working on it right now. Arguably it would be a lot better than Hellfire-ing the entire wedding party.

Time to develop a really big helmet.

Last edited:
Despite the anti-white dog whistles in the video, the only entity likely to do this is the gubmint and I'd bet there are folks at DARPA working on it right now. Arguably it would be a lot better than Hellfire-ing the entire wedding party.
What do you see as "anti-white dog whistles?"

I'm curious as to why you think that the only entity likely to do this is the government. I think they're the most likely, by far, but the technology is not beyond any sufficiently motivated individual, much less organization.

I'm not sure what people are so afraid of here. I mean you could find a way to defend against this. We already have chemical and biological weapons that are deadlier. Not to mention nuclear weapons that can level an entire city.

What do you see as "anti-white dog whistles?"

How about the two rough-looking white guys releasing a vanload of slaughterbots and the brief shot of the slaughterbots forming an airborne swastika. That message is crystal clear, to me anyway. It's Nazis again. I think you can also draw an inference from the small number (eleven, thirteen?, I forget exactly) of targeted Congressmen.

I'm curious as to why you think that the only entity likely to do this is the government. I think they're the most likely, by far, but the technology is not beyond any sufficiently motivated individual, much less organization.

Why? First because the gubmint is the obvious entity with the resources, the motivation and the freedom to develop that kind of weapons capability.

The technology is currently beyond the capability of most people and anyone actually capable of doing it right now is unlikely to have the motivation to do it outside of a James Bond movie.

I'm not sure what people are so afraid of here. I mean you could find a way to defend against this. We already have chemical and biological weapons that are deadlier. Not to mention nuclear weapons that can level an entire city.

Maybe deadlier but unlike these hypothetical slaughterbots, nothing exists right now that can be targeted to preselected individuals using facial recognition.

I think people are afraid of the idea that someone could target an entire family, organization, political party or whatever. Imagine how many Democrats would launch the slaughterbot swarm against every American Republican if they could. Or vice versa. I think that is the fear and it is something entirely new.

The tech already exists for most of this and like most tech its only a matter of time before its less expensive and the components are commonly avail.....and someone or persons put the pieces together

China is one of the prime developers of AI and we all know what sort of moral compass China has........Google has also invested a great deal of money in a China based AI research facility

Google Plans Big Artificial Intelligence Push in This Country

The only component that is in any way controlled are modern explosives but there are all sorts of work arounds from commonly avail materials as we've seen in the middle east for the last 20 years

Small drones are such an obvious tool for terrorist attacks I'm surprised we haven't seen this already. The Feds got panicky about home brewed cruise missiles about 15 years ago and current technology has a lot more potential for mayhem. It's just something we're all going to have to live with.

Back
Top Bottom