• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SKS

LuvToGoFast

NES Member
A shooter next to me at the range(MRA) was shooting one today, Now I want one. It was beat up like my Type53 Mosin...Did I mention I want one?

That is all.

They are some of my favorites. You can still get beater Chinese SKSs for around $200 - hideous stocks and shiny chrome bores.

Been waiting on a good deal for a sks for a while now. Havent found one worth the $ yet. One of the LGS to me had a chinese one for 400 0_o

I picked up my first SKS last year, it's one from the batch of Sino-Soviets that were floating around the last year or so. I think I paid $200 for it from Classic, and it's a "Grade B". I really enjoyed cleaning it up and refinishing the stock, which was only in fair condition, with some fresh gouges from poor shipping and handling.

Still a very solid rifle, has lots of history/character, and it's a lot of fun to shoot.

Last edited:
I still recall when the SKS first hit our shores. I had read that one collector, very early on, had paid upwards of $1200 for an example of a Russian SKS. That was back in the mid-eighties. They began flooding our shores probably not to long after that. By time the 1990s had ended, there were so many available that guys would buy them by the full case and then sell them off for a few bucks more. It wasn't hard to find them for $90 or in two-fors for $125. And, these were nice Russian ones with chrome barrels. The Chinese ones were also out there. Then came the Yugo M59s and 59/66 and finally the Albanian models. Those stocks on those Albies look like a monkey had shellaced them using part of a camel's tail they were that bad. But they hold their value today. There was always the rumor, too, that there were Vietnamese models out there as well as Polish models. I've never seen either one.

Hard to find them for reasonable prices anymore as they've all been snatched up for the most part. They are a blast to shoot and have a lot of history behind them. I've got a handful of them because, like the M91/30 MN, you couldn't hardly not buy one for those early prices.

Rome

I hate to say it but the days of cheap surplus rifles are over!

There were only so many nations that mass produced rifles, and they have "dumped" most of their weapons on to the market.

Before the 1940/1950's most the military rifles made were bolt action..Mausers, Springfields, Mosin-Nagents, etc.

WW2 gave us the Garand and M1 carbine

All these military carbines/rifles hit the markets dirt cheap and as the surplus dried up their prices doubled and tripled in price!

The SKS was last purposely built military semi automatic rifle in mass production.. the production spanning 1945-1993ish.

After the 1947, 99.99 percent of all the nations produced select fire weapons for their military, so you'll not sees any new waves of "surplus" military rifles coming out for sale.

In the last few years you've seen the price of the Mosin-Nagants and SKS's go up, and the quality, quantity, and availability go down.

Russia/USSR/Soviet Block/China are the last source of the military weapons you see coming in for sale and even those country's only have so many made/in storage. When they are gone..... and they will be........ prices will go no where but up.

I suggest buy while you can still can get them and they are affordable ....don't be that guy that says " I remember them being $xxx...wish I had bought a dozen of those back then!"

Last edited:
I hate to say it but the days of cheap surplus rifles are over!

There were only so many nations that mass produced rifles, and they have "dumped" most of their weapons on to the market.

Before the 1940/1950's most the military rifles made were bolt action..Mausers, Springfields, Mosin-Nagents, etc.

WW2 gave us the Garand and M1 carbine

All these carbines/rifles hit the military markets dirt cheap and as the surplus dried up their prices doubled and tripled in price!

The SKS was last purposely built military semi automatic rifle in mass production.. the production spanning 1945-1993ish.

After the 1947, 99.99 percent of all the nations produced select fire weapons for their military, so you'll not sees and new waves of "surplus" military rifles coming in for sale.

In the last few years you seen the price of the Mosin-Nagants and SKS's go up and the quality, quantity, and availability go down.

Russia/USSR/Soviet Block/China are the last source of the military weapons you see coming in for sale and even those country's only have so many made/in storage. When they are gone..... and they will be........ prices will go no where but up.

I suggest buy while you can still can get them and they are affordable ....don't be that guy that says " I remember them being $xxx...wish I had bought a dozen of those back then!"

This is why half of my guns are mosin-nagants lol. Also, we are still going to see imports of parts kits with US made receivers and barrels - that's the closest to "surplus rifles" as we will be getting from here on out, things like the VZ-2008 and the Cetme-L that is just coming in now.

Some classic milsurps...
SEAPORT%20TRADER%20AD%20SEPT%201960%2096%20DPI.jpg

Or your very own tank killing cannon for $189.50 (ACME Arms has one of these)
nazi-20-mm-rifle-ad.jpg

Or how about an H&K HK94 (MP5 Civvie version) for $485 or an H&K 91 for $459 ? Jeebus look how expensive the H&K magazines were even then!
1gtbuo.jpg

[crying]

I have one Chinese and one Yugo both mint and love them both......I would definitely pick more up if the opportunity to find another deal came through.

Love my SKS. I put so many rounds through it last time I was at the range that it got so hot that it was bleeding old cosmoline out of every crevice. I guess I didn't get it all yet. [smile]

I love my Chinese SKS. So much fun to shoot and more accurate than I thought that it would be. Took some time to cosmo-clean but was worth the wait.

I had an SKS years ago.

Hated it. Heavy, and I never liked the whole internal magazine or the trigger. But they were cheap.

I would never pay current market price for one though.

Back
Top Bottom