Sks?

I am looking for something fun and cheap to build. I have built 1911's before, but they sure as hell arent cheap! Has anyone here built an SKS, and how much should I be spending on one? Can I buy a beat to hell peice of shit and fix her up? How difficult are they to build? I just want a sandpit blaster, not a competition shooter. Also, has anyone tried the huge Hi Cap mags for the sks? how bout the detchable AK mags? Does anyone have anything laying around they want to sell, I am in Boston is it worth a ride to the Big E sat to get a cheap beater? thanks in advance

You can buy an unissued, still in the cosmolene Yugoslavian SKS for $200. I'd be surprised if you can build one for that $$.

Unless you're just looking for the pure thrill of building your own, I'd say buy a new one and modify it to your liking. My Yugo is a tank, and shoots great groups @ 100 yards (1" - 1.5" groups consistently) - I haven't taken it out past that yet.

Ya I was looking for a new project to keep me busy, but really dont have the cash to build a 1911, and needed some new ideas. AR 15 also is just too much money.

You'd need a C&R and a sales rep from the company (whos name will be kept from here) in order to buy what they call a U Fix Em model for $70.
No telling in what you'll get though and if you had to buy a trigger group, you're in for way more than its worth. My suggestion is buy a shooter grade Yugo 59/66 from a number of online vendors and use it for blasting. You may even wind up with a really nice rifle just advertised as shooter's grade because it had stock damage or bluing wear.
The SKS is really not a project gun unless you're planning on buying a non C&R model like the Chinese, and then adding a scope, changing the stock, etc. I bought a U Fix Em because I had several parts laying around already and got lucky with a great shooter.
As for high capacity magazines... theres only 2 Chinese models that were made to accept AK mags and they are rare here in Mass. not to mention very expensive. The after market add on magazines for regular SKS' are illegal to use in Mass., and 99% of them don't work and will not feed reliably.
You may find something good at the Big E. One of the last gun shows I went to I found a Chinese military SKS that had a perfect bore and crown, but some surface rust and a refinshed semi beat stock. I was able to score it for $100 or less, I can't remember.
If you want something you can really tinker with, get a Romanian AK47. You can add all kinds of crap to them, most of which is illegal here in Mass. but the accessories and parts are cheap.

Thanks a lot guys. Maybe the SKS isnt the project I am looking for - I might have to go AK 47. I am definatley going to the Big E show on saturday, so we will see what comes from that. Thanks agian for all the input.

Back
Top Bottom