• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SKS: Yugo vs Norinco ?

YUGO or NORINCO

• Total voters
I have both Yugos and Norincos. Like them both for different reasons. I shoot the Chinese SKS's the most though...

Same here, my Chinese one gets fired more and its my 4 wheeler gun.....because it was cheap, its accurate enough and it fits the gun rack nicely.:D

I have a chance to purchase one of the Chinese made SKS, Interstate Arms, Billerica MA, Factory 22, SN: 29xxxxxx. I think this puts the MFG at 1985. I was told it has been "modified for AK mags". Looking at the mags, they arent AK, they are duckbill SKS mags. I am in MA, can I have this transfered to me with the mags that are pictured. Are/can these mags be pre-ban or were they something after 1994? I was told that this cant be returned to its original condition. I guess i could buy 10 round duckbills. I haven't talked price until I know it is legal. Thanks
2018-08-07 17.43.21.png

Last edited:
Just my opinion... I'd pass, unless it's only $300 or lower.
Those mags are a no-go here, and 10 round duckbills are not what I would want.
The speed of reloading a stock magazine using stripper clips and strip-slot is superior in my opinion. Others mileage may vary...

Have any relatives in NH?... (to give them duckies to)

Last edited:
Artie. The wood stock looks modified up near the bayo spike groove. If this is the only modification, a stock Chicom fixed magazine can be installed.
Pay $250-$275 and buy a stock 10-rounder...

Just my opinion... I'd pass, unless it's only $300 or lower.
Those mags are a no-go here, and 10 round duckbills are not what I would want.
The speed of reloading a stock magazine using stripper clips and strip-slot is superior in my opinion. Others mileage may vary...

Have any relatives in NH?... (to give them duckies to)
I am gonna see it tomorrow and shoot a couple mags to see how it runs. I am at the $300 range too. if I can get it for a steal, I will sell the other mags (in NC now) and buy the 10 rounders. I did find a couple places that advertise preban 30 round duckbills but ain't cheap and no way to tell if they are preban. We'll see tomorrow. Thanks

Artie. The wood stock looks modified up near the bayo spike groove. If this is the only modification, a stock Chicom fixed magazine can be installed.
This is what I was wondering...what was modified. The guy said I wouldn't be able to install the original fixed mag. Will get a better story tomorrow. Thanks again

I'm in the market for an SKS. Just don't know which way to go Yugoslavian or Chinese. I've heard the Chinese AK rifles and SKS are of better quality in some cases, even though it seems Yugo's are geting more money?

So, whats some differences and things to look for when hunting for one of these rifles?

Thanks!

Despite the fact I spend inordinate amounts of $$$$ on Chinese goods, Chinese firearms repel me.

I remember the standard Norico SKS used to go for about $79 each or three for $200 from Paragon Sales...these were some gems:

SKS_AdSOGJune.1.94.jpg.jpg

123_zps33cjdoxj.jpg

Despite the fact I spend inordinate amounts of $$$$ on Chinese goods, Chinese firearms repel me.

They're actually VERY well made in my experience. All I have is a T53, but have shot norinco SKS's and AK's and it's really difficult to tell the difference between the russian and chinese guns.

Last edited:
C&R. Why leave the house to get your SKS?

Unfortunately there's an issue "officially" dating the Norincos and it's not on the list. So your hard pressed to have one shipped on an 03. Some dealers also just refuse to ship to an 03 . But essentially the sks is preban and transfers like a mosin for $20.

OP get the Norinco spiked bayo, then a Russian.

This is what I was wondering...what was modified. The guy said I wouldn't be able to install the original fixed mag. Will get a better story tomorrow. Thanks again

If only the wood stock was modified (which I think was done to accommodate the duckbill,) that is easy enough to replace. Lots of stocks out there left behind from those Tapco replacements.
If metal on the receiver was removed, I personally would not buy a Bubba'd rifle. See if he will entertain your price point. Also, see if he has the original fixed magazine. Just because it won't work in this configuration, doesn't mean that you don't/wouldn't want it...
Good luck and good shooting!

~Matt

I bought the same Norinco SKS that Artie is referring to and it came with the duckbill mags (or was it AK mags? can't remember exactly). I just went on ebay and bought the standard 10 round box mag and had no issues installing it. I paid $350 for it from Four Seasons about 8 years ago. I definitely overpaid for it at the time but I was a gun noob and didn't know any better. It's in great shape and shoots well too.

enbloc was correct, only the stock was messed with. Got it for $300 with an ammo box full of Wolf, Norinco and Golden Tiger. Transfered at LGS for $25. No mags but already looking for the original fixed 10 rounder. I am happy with the deal.

WIN!

Good luck with it Artie. Before you buy a replacement fixed 10-rounder, see if someone you know has one (Norinco) that you can borrow.
Install it, (or try to) on your rifle and then take it to the range. If it operated flawlessly, buy a mag.

If it doesn't, see if you can borrow the stock too (wood Norinco) and repeat. If it shoots flawlessly, buy a mag and a stock.
Sell those duckbills to help pay/or trade for the new parts.

I think you will be very happy in the end...

~Matt

EDIT: Re-read your post. Did he not supply the duckbills too?... or are you saying you just don't have and 10-round duckbills. Don't post answer. Just thinking out loud...

enbloc was correct, only the stock was messed with. Got it for $300 with an ammo box full of Wolf, Norinco and Golden Tiger. Transfered at LGS for $25. No mags but already looking for the original fixed 10 rounder. I am happy with the deal.

Great deal. Install a fixed mag and those Liberty stocks look decent for the price. I'd contact them to see what they actually have left and ask for pics.

Some of my favorites are those stock sporterized fixer uppers. I don't feel as reluctant to take them out to the range vs an all original pristine one. I think I've spent more on a replacement k98 stock than your Norinco lol.

WIN!

Good luck with it Artie. Before you buy a replacement fixed 10-rounder, see if someone you know has one (Norinco) that you can borrow.
Install it, (or try to) on your rifle and then take it to the range. If it operated flawlessly, buy a mag.

If it doesn't, see if you can borrow the stock too (wood Norinco) and repeat. If it shoots flawlessly, buy a mag and a stock.
Sell those duckbills to help pay/or trade for the new parts.

I think you will be very happy in the end...

~Matt

EDIT: Re-read your post. Did he not supply the duckbills too?... or are you saying you just don't have and 10-round duckbills. Don't post answer. Just thinking out loud...
No mags, I just left them with the seller. He will sell on their own. When trying the rifle out, not a fan of them. 1 was tough to seat, 1 fell out when fired and one was loading real loose. The other was flawless. Will order the 10 round fixed/box mag and see how that works. Thanks agaon

No mags, I just left them with the seller. He will sell on their own. When trying the rifle out, not a fan of them. 1 was tough to seat, 1 fell out when fired and one was loading real loose. The other was flawless. Will order the 10 round fixed/box mag and see how that works. Thanks agaon

Yeah, I never liked those duckbills in any configuration. The stock fixed mag and plenty of stripper clips and that sucker will sing like Madame Butterfly...

I've had all the ones available including the Albanian (no East German though). The 59/66 is the best made SKS of them all. The gas shutoff does make it essentially a bolt action when engaged, and the accuracy improves a lot - especially if you like to shoot cast boolits. Either one is going to make you happy, especially at trigger time!

Really just depends on what your use will be. I assume you are wanting it to be kept all original since you already have one Tapco'd out. I would probably go Yugo for an all original. Built like a tank and a longer barrel than the Norinco. The longer sight radius of the Yugo can make it better as a hunter if you chose to do so. You already have a lightweight option for plinking and HD if ever needed with your Tapco'd one so if it were me I'd go for a nice clean Yugo. But whichever you chose will work fine.

Anyone know where to get an affordable used SKS fixed 10 round mag?

Pretty sure it must be a ChiCom (Type 56) fixed magazine due to slight manufacturing differences. Stick with a Norinco.
If you buy a Yugo, Russian or others you may own something you cant use on that rifle...

As to locating one. Start here. NES "Want to Buy" in Classifieds. Next, go national. Gunsamerica, Armslist, Gunbroker. Just be weary.
Lastly, try going through the "USED PARTS" bins at older Mom & Pop gun stores. (I'd concentrate on New Hampshire and Maine)
Because the duckbills are legal up there and if someone traded in a gun, they sometimes hand over a box o' parts with that Tapco Love-Child.

The fun is in the search. I envy you.

I will personally keep an eye out for your magazine.
~Matt

Last edited:
Numrich has Type 56 used, fixed magazines in stock for $44.55

Not "cheap" but, maybe "priceless" [smile]

Magazine, 10 Round, Military | Gun Parts Corp.

491080.jpg
Numrich was OOS. Found a Russian from a different vendor for the same price but pinned to 5 rounds. The pin is on the follower which are $1.00 everywhere so that will be an easy fix. Had to take a file to the front lip of the mag to make it fit smoothly. Cycles rounds fine. I am happy and the stock is fine as it wasn't messed with too much for the duckbills.
20180830_091729.jpg

Lol. Dremel that pin off! And finish with the same file you used for the front lip.

and shoot to your heart's content.

~Matt

Back
Top Bottom