• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SKS won’t chamber a .223 round, idiot reveal yourself!

I made all kinds of dumba$$ mistakes in the early years of gun owning.
Forgot the range key/ tag.
Brought the wrong ammo for the gun/s I brought.
Forgot trigger lock/ case keys.
Brought the correct gun and ammo combo, but the wrong magazines.
Brought a case of clays, two boxes of 12g, and the manual clay thrower and left the damn shotgun in the safe.
I'm sure there's plenty I've forgot.

I lost track of the # of times at the beginning where I'd show up at the range and the guns would be in the bag, but no magazines, or something dumb like that. [rofl]

Another reason to not use cheap steal case 223, ever.

At least it wasn't a 5.45 x 39 in a 5.56 chamber... them sumbitches get STUCK. [laugh]

Haha I was about to mention I have "tried" it with 7.62 in a 5.56 AR. Luckily it just completely fails to chamber and ejects with no further problems.

If I only I was a new gun owner. Only about 40 years in lol. I now feel better for helping a noob at the range a few years ago trying to stuff 38 super in his gp100.

Another reason to not use cheap steal case 223, ever.

At least it wasn't a 5.45 x 39 in a 5.56 chamber... them sumbitches get STUCK. [laugh]

yeah, i agree. i bought a case in an ammo drought and it's been sitting for a while...

Reminds me of my buddy who built a new AR and bought some 5.56 online. We go to the range to try it out and it jammed every single time, I’m the more experienced gun guy out of us so I check it out, look it over and did my thing and couldn’t figure out WTF the problem was so we pack up and go to a local gun shop and the guy I know couldn’t come up with anything either. He decides he wants to look at the rounds to see if it’s a bad batch and Ofcourse the ammo box says 5.56 Subsonic lol remember the old commercial “Always count your change” well “Always check your ammo box” lol

Haha I was about to mention I have "tried" it with 7.62 in a 5.56 AR. Luckily it just completely fails to chamber and ejects with no further problems.
Been there, done that.
Box of .223 got damaged in my range bag and spilled ammo and somehow a loose round of 7.63x39 happened to be there.

Been there, done that.
Box of .223 got damaged in my range bag and spilled ammo and somehow a loose round of 7.63x39 happened to be there.

Ya happened to me because I 10% underload stored mags. I put the rounds removed, ie taken from full mags I didn't run during an outing, into cups on my ammo shelf and just wasn't watching as I picked up rounds and loaded mags some other day. One reason not to own 300blk.. but now I carefully separate 7.62 Russian and 5.56 so the rounds are never loose next to each other in the first place.

Took out my SKS last weekend after it had been sitting a while and had a problem I’ve never had before. Rounds will not chamber. Here’s a pic of far they’ll go.
View attachment 371360

looked like a line of some type of buildup in there, but it’s hard to get a picture. Tried some Hoppe’s with a brass brush and the a mop with some lapping compound and a drill after doing some research on clearing any fouling. Also I guess there’s the possibility of a stuck split case but even with a good light it’s hard to tell. Having made zero progress I figured I’d throw it out for suggestions here.

attempted to get a pic of the chamber.

View attachment 371361
Not dirty

Look at the bright side, it wasnt a .300blk that chambered in a .223 barrel..

i run both of those too but I’m so careful with them. Have the 300BLK rubber wrist straps on all the 300 mags. They work great

kudos to Malodave for giving them to me at the Tuck NES get together

Last edited:
The best is at the beginning (as a new shooter) when you do stupid shit like dump loose rounds on a paper plate and they get mixed up. [rofl] "Why didnt my gun cycle?" oh, f***"
I actually know that guy.
Guys like him may be why we can't have nice things.

Just assembled my first 300 Blackout. Takes the same mags (duh) as my "regular" AR's. Makes me REALLY glad I bought these for the mags, ...
Someone (@strangenh ?) was handing them out at our first NES NH GTG.
I thought to myself,
"you guys must like that caliber a lot to collect wristbands for it -
do you wear them to virtue signal at gun shows or something?"
But I kept my ignorant mouth shut at the time.

Occurs to me only now that in Red State America,
there's probably an opportunity for youts to sell them door-to-door.
intro-1548270000.jpg

I actually know that guy.
Guys like him may be why we can't have nice things.

I thought to myself,

Occurs to me only now that in Red State America,
there's probably an opportunity for youts to sell them door-to-door.
intro-1548270000.jpg

it was malodave

I thought to myself,
:)

Pretty sure Diggie/Malodave brought those.

Holy sheep shit!!!

I just grabbed the ammo box for a pic and I feel like the biggest idiot. It’s wolf .223 and I don’t even remember buying it.
Thanks for the replies.

View attachment 371369
This is the problem of having 6 ARs and only ak type rifle. I guess it could have been worse.

good on you for standing up and acknowledging your dumbassery. We've all done some flavor of it, certainly myself included.

:oops: It could be worse, you could have tried to take one of your loaded Sig P365 mags through TSA security in your laptop back in Newark...

I'm glad the wrong caliber issue didn't have more catastrophic issues for one of your firearms...or for you.

Took out my SKS last weekend after it had been sitting a while and had a problem I’ve never had before. Rounds will not chamber. Here’s a pic of far they’ll go.
View attachment 371360

looked like a line of some type of buildup in there, but it’s hard to get a picture. Tried some Hoppe’s with a brass brush and the a mop with some lapping compound and a drill after doing some research on clearing any fouling. Also I guess there’s the possibility of a stuck split case but even with a good light it’s hard to tell. Having made zero progress I figured I’d throw it out for suggestions here.

attempted to get a pic of the chamber.

View attachment 371361
Tap it in with a nail set and a hammer...it’ll go..

Holy sheep shit!!!

I just grabbed the ammo box for a pic and I feel like the biggest idiot. It’s wolf .223 and I don’t even remember buying it.
Thanks for the replies.

View attachment 371369
This is the problem of having 6 ARs and only ak type rifle. I guess it could have been worse.
Don't worry about small things like caliber, just whack that round with a ball peen hammer and call it good!
I'm not a gunsmith but simple solutions for simple problems.

Back
Top Bottom