• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SKS questions and possible answers

It's the retaining pin for the receiver cover.

There is another lever near the rear sight block. That will release the gas tube and op-rod.

Forget the manual (I've never found a decent one or needed one). Go watch some youtube vids on disassembly before taking it apart.

Once you do it once or twice it's pretty easy.

What nationality is your SKS? Got any pics?

It's a YUGO.

I like it fine but for the mis-matched Stock.

SKS 655744 A01.jpg SKS 655744 A02.jpg

It's a YUGO.

I like it fine but for the mis-matched Stock.

View attachment 176064View attachment 176065

Nice looking Yugo. To my knowledge if the numbers don't match it's not all original but I'm not that familiar with Yugos. I suppose it's possible a stock was replaced without it being officially rearsenalled but it's kind of semantics. If I paid for a hand select or grade A or whatever that claimed to not have been rearsenalled or refurbished I'd expect an all matching gun. Can't hurt to call and ask about it. Maybe they will swap it out for an all matching one. It's not a collector gun so it doesn't matter all that much. It's in great shape, looks great and will shoot great so decide if it's worth the trouble. If it were me I'd at least call.

Nice looking Yugo. To my knowledge if the numbers don't match it's not all original but I'm not that familiar with Yugos. I suppose it's possible a stock was replaced without it being officially rearsenalled but it's kind of semantics. If I paid for a hand select or grade A or whatever that claimed to not have been rearsenalled or refurbished I'd expect an all matching gun. Can't hurt to call and ask about it. Maybe they will swap it out for an all matching one. It's not a collector gun so it doesn't matter all that much. It's in great shape, looks great and will shoot great so decide if it's worth the trouble. If it were me I'd at least call.

Oh, I agree functionally it is perfect.

But I'm more of a collector, and I strongly believe any firearm with mismatched numbers has a reduced value. And I paid full price for Grade A - Not Re-arsenaled.

I emailed them; they got back to me promptly and asked for pics. So I sent them.

We shall see.

And I give Top Gun Supply credit in that it was shipped promptly, wrapped in bubble wrap, and double-boxed.

Last edited:
Oh, I agree functionally it is perfect.

But I'm more of a collector, and I strongly believe any firearm with mismatched numbers has a reduced value. And I paid full price for Grade A - Not Re-arsenaled.

I emailed them; they got back to me promptly and asked for pics. So I sent them.

We shall see.

I didn't mean to sound like a SKS snob (that's a little oxy-moronic isn't it) saying it wasn't really a collector gun. I never used to think of Yugos as collector guns except for the original M59s because they were everywhere and often beat to hell. These new ones we are seeing look sweet and no doubt they will run out soon. If I had the cash I'd think about picking one up. I have a SKS-M that I shoot and an 1952 all original Russian that I shoot very rarely and very carefully, it's mostly a safe queen.

Keep us posted on this. I think you should get an all matching one and I hope they make good on it without too much inconvenience.

I didn't mean to sound like a SKS snob (that's a little oxy-moronic isn't it) saying it wasn't really a collector gun. I never used to think of Yugos as collector guns except for the original M59s because they were everywhere and often beat to hell. These new ones we are seeing look sweet and no doubt they will run out soon. If I had the cash I'd think about picking one up. I have a SKS-M that I shoot and an 1952 all original Russian that I shoot very rarely and very carefully, it's mostly a safe queen.

Keep us posted on this. I think you should get an all matching one and I hope they make good on it without too much inconvenience.

It's my first Long Gun, as I'm more of a Hand Gun guy.

Hand Guns are so much easier to store.

It's probably my last Long Gun, as well. The way things are going in Mass.

So it is a bit of a panic buy - I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

- - - Updated - - -

Pull the collar towards the tip of the blade and swing it up.

My fingers thank you.

Metal is marked 655x74

Stock is marked 655y74

They are not really marked x or y - I just do not want to give out the real numbers.

It is almost as if there is some intelligence in the discrepancy, and is not entirely random.

But if perhaps the first stock placed on this gun was bad, and was replaced from the get go, why not stamp it with the right number instead of a number several hundred removed ?

I'm baffled.

My fingers thank you.

be careful when you do that, it tends to flip quickly once it lets go!

- - - Updated - - -

Cool! Dude, I gotta say, even as a Trump supporter (since my only other choice is Hitlery Clinton) your avatar is awesome!

lol thanks, wish I could take artistic credit for that but someone else created it. That was the original logo they came out with for like a day and then quickly changed it because it looked like the T was banging the P lol.

Question: Is there a good online MANUAL ? I've found about a dozen but they are so grainy they are of little help.

Question: Way behind the bolt, on the side of the shroud, is a little LEVER. What is its purpose ?

Question: Bought a Grade A SKS direct on C&R from Top Gun.

Theses are supposed to be original, NOT re-arsenaled.

The overall condition is excellent; the numbers on the metal match; BUT the numbers on the Stock do not match the metal.

I believe they should if it was not re-arsenaled.

Advice ?

Brad from Top Gun Supply got back to me promptly, and offered to pay for shipping both ways, and will make certain I get one with all Matching Numbers.

So far, so good.

It will likely be a week (or more) before I receive the final rifle.

I'll update then.

Brad from Top Gun Supply got back to me promptly, and offered to pay for shipping both ways, and will make certain I get one with all Matching Numbers.

So far, so good.

It will likely be a week (or more) before I receive the final rifle.

I'll update then.

Awesome! With numbers that close pretty safe to say it was probably an honest mistake. Glad they are making it right.

Awesome! With numbers that close pretty safe to say it was probably an honest mistake. Glad they are making it right.

Yeah, one number off.

Selling stuff that's decades old from an Eastern Bloc country, and making a PROFIT ?

Not easy, not easy.

Just received my replacement SKS from Top Gun Supply.

It's all I could hope for, and then some.

Pretty near perfect in very way, and NO COSMOLINE !

The people there are real professionals.

I'd include pics, but it is a dead ringer for this one from their web site:

SKS-6.jpg

As a C&R $314 to my door. UPDATE - $414, not $314

Just so you all know, my first one from them had loads of cosmoline. It was very nice, also; just a mismatched numbered stock.

It is clear after the first time they went out of their way to make sure I would be pleased.

Last edited:

I'd include pics, but it is a dead ringer for this one from their web site:

SKS-6.jpg

As a C&R $314 to my door.

Very nice! Glad to hear they took good care of you. If I were in the market for a SKS I would look these guys up. That's a good price these days.

As a C&R $314 to my door.

Glad they made it right. You done good, real good.

Glad they made it right. You done good, real good.

It was actually $414 - not $314

Still a good price.

I think I was feeling guilty about buying myself a new toy (a very nice new toy), and my subconscious dropped a $100 from the total.

I'm interested in getting schooled somewhat on stock finishes. I'll be picking up a yugo from the recent group buy in the next few days. I've been using some google-fu but most threads/discussions on this topic devolve into people just stating "BLO" or "tung oil" without providing any real, accurate info. What I'm interested in learning is the difference between a true oil finish (BLO, 100% Tung Oil) and something like a "Tung Oil Finish" (like Fromby's, which apparently is technically a varnish) or wiping varnish. Any pros/cons here I should be aware of? For example, does BLO or true tung oil change the color of the wood? Is there any benefit to a tung oil finish/varnish in terms of durability or protection?

I'm not too worried about having a "correct" finish on my yugo. I just want to make an informed decision and have zero experience with wood finishes or milsurp rifles.

BLO = Boiled Linseed Oil, that and Tung Oils are popular choices, as is utilitarian varnish. Both Tung and Linseed oils takes many hand rubbed coats. I did a stock with a coat before and after work for 7 days and it looks very nice.

why finish a stock like the ones people are getting? They look sweet already.
I use Feed and Wax on my Polish AK furniture, every 6 months to keep it from drying out the wood,that's it.

akk.jpg IMG_3560.JPG IMG_5283.JPG

Last edited:
yeah these don't need to be refinished. They'll be lovely as is.

Now if you had a beater that you wanted to refinish, then you'd want to use probably BLO. Tung would be more for USGI finish.

And unless you want your gun to look like furniture, use the real oil not a finish.

BLO = Boiled Linseed Oil, that and Tung Oils are popular choices, as is utilitarian varnish. Both Tung and Linseed oils takes many hand rubbed coats. I did a stock with a coat before and after work for 7 days and it looks very nice.

BE VERY CAREFUL with Linseed Oil.

It will burst into flame without a spark.

Rubbed down a dining room table with it years ago, then tossed the Paper Towels into the Apt Bldg Dumpster.

Less than 1/2 hr later I awoke to the sounds of a Fire Engine putting out a fire there.

A year or two later I did an experiment. Rubbed the table again with Linseed Oil and Paper Towels, then threw them into a metal trash can in the yard. Sure enough, in a short time they were on fire.

- - - Updated - - -

Can anyone recommend a nice, but inexpensive RIFLE CASE for the 48" SKS ?

Looking to spend about $60 or less.

Back
Top Bottom