• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SKS questions and possible answers

BE VERY CAREFUL with Linseed Oil.

It will burst into flame without a spark.

Rubbed down a dining room table with it years ago, then tossed the Paper Towels into the Apt Bldg Dumpster.

Less than 1/2 hr later I awoke to the sounds of a Fire Engine putting out a fire there.

A year or two later I did an experiment. Rubbed the table again with Linseed Oil and Paper Towels, then threw them into a metal trash can in the yard. Sure enough, in a short time they were on fire.

- - - Updated - - -

Can anyone recommend a nice, but inexpensive RIFLE CASE for the 48" SKS ?

Looking to spend about $60 or less.

I keep my Russian in a silicone impregnated gun sock and just use a run of the mill rifle case when transporting it.

yeah these don't need to be refinished. They'll be lovely as is.

Now if you had a beater that you wanted to refinish, then you'd want to use probably BLO. Tung would be more for USGI finish.

And unless you want your gun to look like furniture, use the real oil not a finish.

I'm thinking I may need to do something post cosmoline removal. It all depends on the actual rifle I end up with and the condition of the stock/finish.

IT MAY BE POSSIBLE TO RENEW RADIUM NIGHT SIGHTS

Clocks, watches, and instruments dating from the first half of the 20th century, often in military applications, may have been painted with radioactive luminous paint. They are usually no longer luminous; however, this is not due to radioactive decay of the radium (which has a half-life of 1600 years) but to the fluorescence of the zinc sulfide fluorescent medium being worn out by the radiation from the radium.[SUP][48][/SUP] The appearance of an often thick layer of green or yellowish brown paint in devices from this period suggests a radioactive hazard. The radiation dose from an intact device is relatively low and usually not an acute risk; but the paint is dangerous if released and inhaled or ingested.

I'm beginning to look into a source for Zinc Sulfide Phosphor.

Wouldn't it be great to see them GLOW again ?

Got a norinco back in july. Fired it a few times put proly 300 rounds through it. Always worked fine couple of fail to ejects but im shooting steel case crap through it so cannot complain. Today......she fired 2 rounds with one pull of the trigger. Just one time it happened. I know the firing pin story on these and that it is free floating. Took her apart.....shook the bolt and the firing pin "dinglings" like it should. Put it back together and fires 20 more rounds all no issue one round per squeeze. Can even see the pin move in and out of the bolt face just shaking the rifle. . Took her home and disassembled and have the parts soaking in hoppes. Will clean and re assemble tomorrow. Anything i should look for when re assembling?

Got a norinco back in july. Fired it a few times put proly 300 rounds through it. Always worked fine couple of fail to ejects but im shooting steel case crap through it so cannot complain. Today......she fired 2 rounds with one pull of the trigger. Just one time it happened. I know the firing pin story on these and that it is free floating. Took her apart.....shook the bolt and the firing pin "dinglings" like it should. Put it back together and fires 20 more rounds all no issue one round per squeeze. Can even see the pin move in and out of the bolt face just shaking the rifle. . Took her home and disassembled and have the parts soaking in hoppes. Will clean and re assemble tomorrow. Anything i should look for when re assembling?

You can always mail the Bolt to Murray and $54 later the problem will be history: http://murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

Sure sounds like the firing pin stuck for that one round then freed itself up. I would be concerned about debris in there that might wander back into a spot were it can make the firing pin stick again. I would probably disassemble to bolt to remove the firing pin, make sure it's not bent, broken or cracked and clean it all out in there really good. Snap a quick pic of the firing pin before you remove it so you make sure you put it back in right.

CaseHardened mentioned sending it off to Murray's which is a good idea too if you don't want to touch it yourself. You can also buy a new spring loaded firing pin from Murray and install it yourself if you feel you need that. I have never felt the need to replace any of my SKS firing pins but if I had a broken, bent or cracked one that's probably what I'd get to replace it with.

Google SKS trigger check. You might have a sear issue.

Agreed with Ray. The hammer does not always set on top of the sear if the trigger group is excessively dirty, the sear travel is restricted, or the sear is worn/misshaped.

It sounds like the pin was free, but a bolt disassemble and clean is still appropriate. Proper cleaning and function testing of the trigger assembly would be just as important for desired semi-auto function

Question on recent NES Group buy. The gun I received is a 1969 manufacture however the barrel is in good shape. The barrel is definitely a different blue than the receiver and it has what appears to be a date on it (See picture). Is it possible that this SKS was re-barreled in 1985?

sks barrel.JPG

My SKS scope mount and Leapers UTG scope

Upgraded my SKS with a Leapers UTG 4x scope:

https://www.amazon.com/UTG-BugBuster-Scope-36-color-Mil-dot/dp/B00BKRJILE

Tim at Gartman Arms modified my scope mount to add slots to move the scope rearward to prevent getting hit by ejected brass and repainted the mount as well. I also had a trigger job done that resulted in a two stage 4 lb pull

scope mount.jpg

Despite the fact that it does not correspond to any Yugo SKS serial number range and is in a valid mm/dd/yyyy format is looks more like a serial number to you?

yes because for one thing European countries use dd/mm/yy for their date format and for another I've never seen a military barrel date stamp that included the day. Its typically month and year at most. There's no point in them wasting the extra time and resources to punch 2 extra digits on every single barrel every single day when it is really useless information at that level of granularity.

Last edited:
Question on recent NES Group buy. The gun I received is a 1969 manufacture however the barrel is in good shape. The barrel is definitely a different blue than the receiver and it has what appears to be a date on it (See picture). Is it possible that this SKS was re-barreled in 1985?

View attachment 178330

Are there letters on the stock next the number? If so it's been arsenal refurbished from what I've read.

Kind of off topic but still about SKS.

Are there any places in Merrimack Valley/Southern NH that has a decent size selection on SKSs? I've seen a few nice ones online but would rather go local.

It'll be my first rifle and never thought of getting one but now that I've researched, I really want one. I missed the group buy by that much and I am bummed.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Last edited:
So, turning to the NES experts:

First time out with SKS, and it is not feeding properly. When I pull back on the charging handle and let go, the first round is getting picked up but then getting pinned without going into the chamber, like in this picture:
IMG_20161002_110424.jpg

If I "help" it by deliberately angling the round so that it will go into the chamber, it's fine. But if I were to load two or three into the magazine, they won't feed on their own. Though, the right hand side of the magazine seems to load probably 50% of the time. The left side, like in the photo, is worse.

For the record:
1.) Using Wolf Military Classic hollow point (could it be the HP?)
2.) Stock magazine (and everything else)

Could I have somehow installed the mag wrong even though it functions fine otherwise? Could the hollow points be the problem? It doesn't look like there are feed ramps, just a flat surface.

The feeding issue basically turned it into a tedious single shot rifle, having to fool with either the mag release or the charging handle to load it.

Silver lining is that it was fine otherwise. No problem hitting the 100 yard plates from different positions. Even the stripper clips loaded fine (even though I then had to dump out 9 rounds since they would not feed).

1st take mag back out and install it back and "Make sure" you hear a "CLICK" when you put it back in the stock.Also Here is a couple pics of the same thing. 1st pic is your perfect example with HP ammo---> e85-2.jpg

Same sks but not HP ammo (feeds perfect)--> e85-3.jpg

Last edited:
It's not the HP's.

I'd start by field stripping, taking out the trigger group and magazine and making sure the mag is installed correctly. There is a metal piece in there that has to mate perfectly with the front bill of the mag and it can be tricky to get it in right. Open and close the mag until you can finagle it in there right. You'll know when it's in there right because you should feel a positive click when it slides in. That may be all it is. It could also be the bolt catch or the follower or something else. But I'd try this first.

Make sure the safety is engaged to strip. Let us know how it goes.

1st take mag back out and install it back and "Make sure" you hear a "CLICK" when you put it back in the stock.Also Here is a couple pics of the same thing. 1st pic is your perfect example with HP ammo--->View attachment 178603

Same sks but not HP ammo (feeds perfect)-->View attachment 178604

It's not the HP's.

I'd start by field stripping, taking out the trigger group and magazine and making sure the mag is installed correctly. There is a metal piece in there that has to mate perfectly with the front bill of the mag and it can be tricky to get it in right. Open and close the mag until you can finagle it in there right. You'll know when it's in there right because you should feel a positive click when it slides in. That may be all it is. It could also be the bolt catch or the follower or something else. But I'd try this first.

Make sure the safety is engaged to strip. Let us know how it goes.

I think you guys are on the right track. A video I watched recently on field stripping had an audible click when the mag was installed. He didn't mention it though. When I installed mine, I did not hear a click and figured that there was just a sound peculiarity in this video. So this sounds like it could be the problem, and if it is, it's not a big one. Hopefully I can get back out there this week to verify.

Field stripped, front of mag definitely just came right out. I jiggled it until I could not pull the front part out and thought I heard a click. Finished reassembling, and subjectively it looks more in-line with the chamber to my wishful eyes. I'm planning on taking it to the range tomorrow and will report back.

Thanks again.

Field stripped, front of mag definitely just came right out. I jiggled it until I could not pull the front part out and thought I heard a click. Finished reassembling, and subjectively it looks more in-line with the chamber to my wishful eyes. I'm planning on taking it to the range tomorrow and will report back.

Thanks again.
what time you going? I might be heading there with my AK at some point

Are there any places in Merrimack Valley/Southern NH that has a decent size selection on SKSs? I've seen a few nice ones online but would rather go local.

It'll be my first rifle and never thought of getting one but now that I've researched, I really want one. I missed the group buy by that much and I am bummed.

Patriot Arms in Ipswich has a couple

Kittery trading post usually has some yugos ans norinkos around.

Back
Top Bottom