SKS questions and possible answers

The manufacturer is China if there is no brand like Norinco imprinted on it. Importer doesn't matter for MA, only your bound book. Model is good as you have it or SKS or Type 56.

I have a Chinese SKS that I love. I added a gas tube and a synthetic stock and it shoots like a champ. I just got a NcStar receiver cover for it. I flied and fit it so it is a perfect fit with no play. I set the side set screws nice and tight following a pattern so it would be even, and I used loctite blue to keep it in place. I put the scope on it with the red dot all set up laser bore sight all good to go. When I shot it the bolt got jammed in the back. I undid the set screws because the loctite didn't have time to set up hard. I took it back out and it fired no problem.

My question is do I really need the set screws? .

Hi, i don't have a question,,, just a thank you for all the info here. I taught my son how to shoot on an Sks, after the 22 of course, he was about 8, the shorter stock worked out perfect for him at that size and the barrel rested on sandbags. I have always like these guns and they used to be low priced and easy to get, there was a place in Shrewsbury but it was years ago. After the Sks I moved him on to the Enfield .303 but thats a different page..lol

Hello, slightly confused and trying to find an answer, when you FA10 an sks how do you answer if it is a large capacity device. I know stock it would not be but then there is the “readily modifiable to accept” part that confuses me.

My recollection was that the rules of thumb was how it was made by the manufacturer.

For example, a Ruger 10/22 was not "high capacity" since Ruger ships it with a ten round magazine. I know--rarely--some were made for detachable magazines, but unless you bought one of those variants, I'd choose "No".

IANAL, YMMV, etc.

The magazines made today were not necessarily available in 1945 when Tula produced the first SKS. "AS MANUFACTURED"
dont ask dont tell. ask forgiveness not permission. should I continue? We dont have foresight of the aftermarket world.

Also, what id "readily modifiable"? My golf cart is readily modifiable for a harley twin cam engine. But im a mechanic. If i remember correctly, those mags still require some modification and fitment to work correctly.

Hello, slightly confused and trying to find an answer, when you FA10 an sks how do you answer if it is a large capacity device. I know stock it would not be but then there is the “readily modifiable to accept” part that confuses me.

@Mike52793 The answer is no. SKS is a fixed mag weapon as manufactured unless its an SKS-D.

I have a Chinese SKS that I love. I added a gas tube and a synthetic stock and it shoots like a champ. I just got a NcStar receiver cover for it. I flied and fit it so it is a perfect fit with no play. I set the side set screws nice and tight following a pattern so it would be even, and I used loctite blue to keep it in place. I put the scope on it with the red dot all set up laser bore sight all good to go. When I shot it the bolt got jammed in the back. I undid the set screws because the loctite didn't have time to set up hard. I took it back out and it fired no problem.

My question is do I really need the set screws? .
no , or that NCstar cover.

Does anyone know where I might find one of the 20 round mags with the star on it? Been searching the interwebs and can't seem to find anything. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom