Skoolie Conversion

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
What's the ceiling height to start with in a bus like yours? Can a full size adult generally stand up or do you have to stoop a little bit?
My husband is 6'3" and he could stand up in the center without stooping before we gutted it and raised the roof. After we add in an actual floor with "joists", insulation, subfloor and finish floor and then add a couple inches depth to ceiling so we can insulate that, he will have about a foot over his head left, more or less.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Penny, I'm sorry for contributing to the delinquency of these degenerates. My bad (although a pale purple really could work for you)

Many of us are interested in your progress. Sorry for contributing to thread drift.

I suspect you've sent one or two potential customers to your bus dealer and roof guy.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
little known fun fact: if you buy a used school bus and register it in NH, it can not be kept yellow.
Most all states (perhaps all) require you to change the color. "Officially" mine is beige. Had to pick a color for the paperwork. It will get a "base of beige" and we will add other color somehow.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Penny, I'm sorry for contributing to the delinquency of these degenerates. My bad (although a pale purple really could work for you)

Many of us are interested in your progress. Sorry for contributing to thread drift.

I suspect you've sent one or two potential customers to your bus dealer and roof guy.
Possibly have sent a few to the bus dealer. I do recommend him when asked. AAA Bus Sales in Phoenix, AZ. Tony is a good guy. Obviously loves his family which I found out when we were first going to go out on a Friday and thought we might not get there early enough for a test drive and asked about doing it all on a Saturday and he told me "nope. I spend the weekends with my family." Then he locked it in when he was telling us a story about an a**h*** he had dealt with (one of several over the years) and he told us "when people treat others like that I make it hard for them to even want to buy from me." Because, as he explained, (and which I knew) if someone is an a**h*** during the sale they are going to be an a**h*** AFTER the sale. Also, he has a really great reputation in the skoolie community.

Wess is doing our roof raise. You can find him on instagram @TranscendExistence. Obviously excited to recommend him to others. He's kind of "the guy" for roof raises. Again, huge rep in the community and an overall nice guy. And talented.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most all states (perhaps all) require you to change the color. "Officially" mine is beige. Had to pick a color for the paperwork. It will get a "base of beige" and we will add other color somehow.
I had a bicycle frame and fork painted in the cream color Ford used on the mid '80s two tone Broncos. Very nice color. Simple, clean and has a warmth and refined look to it that I really dig. Just dumb luck that I ended up with that paint. When I would build up bikes I'd do the prep then take them to an auto body shop and ask for them to spray it the next color they had enough extra in the gun, there won't be any complaints about runs or orange peel. Cheap for me, good paint, and fun surprise colors! [thumbsup] [laugh]

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Here's some new pics.

This first picture is the front end. He cut off the roof and is building a transition (sloped roof) from the original height to the new height. I like the look though I have to admit I am kind of regretting the choice because we lose about 5' for solar panels this way and that may mean we end up with no roof deck.

The second picture is the rear end. Because of the way it's built it really wasn't possible for him to lift the window with the raise. So the rear window is staying where it was but we will have 2 or 3 windows on each side of the bus for cross breeze across the bed.

The third picture is just showing me that he has all the supports welded in. You can see one of the original support brackets still in place that helped stabilize as he did the roof raise. He also has to weld on angle iron to each support so that the sheet metal can have a surface to get riveted to. It looks like some of that is done at this point and he indicated he may start putting sheet metal on tomorrow!

45935.jpeg
45936.jpeg45937.jpeg

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Somewhat out of the blue, Mrs. Pipes showed me some links about school buses being converted into mobile homes or tiny houses. She thought I was nuts because I started laughing and she couldn't for the life of her understand what was FUNNY about people turning buses into houses.

I showed her some pictures from here and she's interested. It'll be a long way out, but it sounds like I just might convince her.

G Port

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
SChOOL BUS!

I was thinking about buying an old vintage diner car and converting it into a cabin. Some of those have some amazing oak woodwork. And a full kitchen already built in.

Ultimately, I bought a cabin instead. Although that hasn’t been cheap either. Lol
You could be like Jim West from the old Wild, Wild West series

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
We are picking up the bus this weekend! Then the real fun begins since next week temps will be near/at/over 100 pretty much every day.

1594214296373.png
Curious, will you have to shave/remove/change the forward facing school bus flashers? I think you said the stop sign has to come off. The swinging gate to sweep away people standing right in front could be cool to keep, too, especially with protesters "occupying" highways.

And looks like a sign frame between the lights. Will that now read "The Penny Express"?

And last for now (taking notes), do you have to label "NOT FOR HIRE" or is the RV registration sufficient?

ETA: And if the temps are 100F, install the new AC first. If the temps are 100C, relocate [laugh]

NHKevin

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Curious, will you have to shave/remove/change the forward facing school bus flashers? I think you said the stop sign has to come off. The swinging gate to sweep away people standing right in front could be cool to keep, too, especially with protesters "occupying" highways.

And looks like a sign frame between the lights. Will that now read "The Penny Express"?

And last for now (taking notes), do you have to label "NOT FOR HIRE" or is the RV registration sufficient?

ETA: And if the temps are 100F, install the new AC first. If the temps are 100C, relocate [laugh]
I'd replace those lights with super bright LEDs. And wire them through a guarded switch.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0

I believe the colored covers on the upper flashers need to be changed. We will put in new LED lights and probably have them able to run off the house batteries (not the starting battery) so we can use them as outdoor lights OR fog lights (though hopefully we will never be driving through fog conditions). Similar for the rear flashers.

The Stop sign has been removed and we will remove the swing arm as well and seal up that hole. No stop signs allowed.

The "sign" between the lights is not a sign, it's a coverup of the words SCHOOL BUS. We will be painting the whole bus but no idea if we will put a name up there. No need to put a sign "not for hire" as it is a registered motor home.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I dont know if I missed it but are you gonna keep it school bus yellow or are you guys gonna paint it?
required by law to paint it. There may be a state or two that doesn't prohibit the color but since we don't live in one of those states and we want to be able to roam, we are painting it.

Top Bottom