• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Skinning your deer immediately.

Last year there was a thread where different techniques were discussed for dressing deer. I had stated how immediately skinning your deer once back to home, camp, etc. would effect the flavor making it even more palatable for the most discriminating eaters. I was just curious if anyone who normally leaves the hide on for a few days has tried this technique and if they've eaten any of their venison yet.

you mean AFTER you have gutted it, right?

What I do is skin it, then hang it with cheesecloth to keep the flies away. After 2 days of hanging, I butcher it.

I think if you hang it with the hide on...you run the risk of whatever nasty stuff was stuck in the hide contaminating the meat with bacteria, spoiling more of the meat.

I normally field dress and then pull he hide off if its warmer out to help cool the meat faster. If its cold out I'll field dress and let it hang for a day or two, pull the hide off and then let it hang for a few more days.

When you are done skinning your deer watch this video and you may learn how to debone a deer like a professional buther. After watching this many times I can do it in fifteen minutes. I bought the knife and meat hook that he uses. The hook works great. Cabala"s has them for about $8.00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xijmge8_NJw

I was a professional butcher who owned a USDA meat plant here on the south coast of MA. Closed it in 1990. Actually, I skin my deer first then gut it as I hunt close enough to home. As long as it's not gut shot it is the same method used in a slaughter house. Kill, skin, gut, wash.
I asked the question because last year I mentioned my process and some here said they were going to try it to see if their venison would have a milder taste. Some said they didn't want the milder taste and some thought they would so their wives would enjoy eating it more. Just finished making 20lbs of venison keilbasa and 30lbs of smoked sausage today. (the smoked sausage is still in the smoker as I type this.

When you are done skinning your deer watch this video and you may learn how to debone a deer like a professional buther. After watching this many times I can do it in fifteen minutes. I bought the knife and meat hook that he uses. The hook works great. Cabala"s has them for about $8.00.

wow he's good!!!

He's done that once or twice.

That vid is great. I love how he says "I'll show you how to do it in 15 min..." Then he does it in 8. [laugh] That dude has some serious skills.

Chistech trade you for some of that Kielbasa. I'm a battering man...... What say you? Cheers
Actually giving a fair amount of it away to friends and family. My wife was helping me and is already pissed we didn't stay with that many packages. Unless your bartering Coach pocket books or a really nice pair of high leather woman's boots, size 8, your shit out of luck! LOL

If I could get it home and hung in short order, I am fine with gutting it on the hook. Never seems to happen though. That last video is just insane. wow!!!

I'm guessing he did the compressed air trick beforehand in that last video? Looks like the skin was already detached/loose in some parts.

Back
Top Bottom