Skeet, Start Mounted or Low?

I shoot trap mostly, but I'd like to at least try skeet at some point. In trap, I always mount the gun before I call for a target, but I'm not sure what to do for skeet. I've watched some videos of competition shoots, and it seems like everyone starts with their gun at low ready. Is that the rule, or is it more beneficial to shoot that way?

In competition, its typically a rule. You'll see a stripe on their vest, butt plate must start below that when they call for it. Start mounted.

Depends on where you're shooting; if the rule is "low", that's the way you do it; at my club, most Skeeters start with the gun mounted, but they're shooting Wobble Skeet.

The rules below say, "Any safe gun position,"
http://www.nssa-nsca.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/2010_NSSA_Rule_Book_2010-02-06.pdf

So, apparently, it's up to the Club or Event manager.

If you're a Trapezoid, and want to do the Skeet thing, www.srgclub.com is holding the Ruler of the Hill Trap/skeet combo event on July 21 at 1PM. You'd be welcome.

Last edited:
Being a trap shooter for a very many years..I have started to shoot skeet the last couple months.
I have tried a lot of different things, gun hold here, gun hold there.. mounted gun, low gun.
I have settled on low gun the last two times out and starting to feel comfortable, I haven't broken a 25 yet but feel it won't be long?

I started shooting trap with gun mounted last fall. Recently I've been starting low ready.......a freind of mine shoots trap that way because he is an avid pheasant hunter in the fall and feels it helps him stay ready for the season......he says "you don't walk the fields with the gun mounted"! Makes sense to me if your goal with trap is prep for bird season.

Makes sense to me if your goal with trap is prep for bird season.

Yeah, I've seen people at the field shooting to get ready for hunting and they usually don't start mounted trap OR skeet. That's not me though, I just want to shoot for my best score. I'll probably just start mounted and maybe later on try shooting from low ready.

Be different .............. shoot from the hip. [wink]

Joe D from Maynard would shoot a rem 1100 full choke from the hip at station 4. He was 83 years old too.

I use skeet to train for bird hunting so I always started with the gun low not mounted. I'd say though start one way and stick to it. Skeet like trap as you know is repetition.

At our club, the "better" shooters will drop a bird, then start to use different mounts, etc. as a "perfect round is out.

One hand; gun low; my kid was calling for the bird, gun down, shell in his right hand. He'd load, pump it closed and break the damn thing. [laugh]

I shoot trap mostly, but I'd like to at least try skeet at some point. In trap, I always mount the gun before I call for a target, but I'm not sure what to do for skeet. I've watched some videos of competition shoots, and it seems like everyone starts with their gun at low ready. Is that the rule, or is it more beneficial to shoot that way?

In competition, its typically a rule. You'll see a stripe on their vest, butt plate must start below that when they call for it. Start mounted.

Wrong.

It depends on whether you're shooting American or International Skeet. In American Skeet, you can start any way you like. International skeet requires the line on the vest/starting with a low gun. You will see few to none of the top American Skeet competitors starting with a low gun. The vast majority of clubs in the US are set up for American.

Be different .............. shoot from the hip. [wink]

That's me. Once I have missed a bird, I will often shoot 2 doubles on station 7. First one from the hip, and then swing the gun up to catch the high bird coming by. Great fun and you look like a hero when you break both of them. [thumbsup]

Of course you look like a zero when they both get by you. [crying]

I usually use a 100+ year old Lefever side by side with short barrels and open chokes for skeet. That gun I start low and only mount when I see the bird.
For some reason that gun just hits where I look. [smile]

i'm looking to getting into shooting trap and skeet. could some of you chime in on what i need to look for in a shotgun/recommendations for this type of shooting as i'm a newb to the trap/skeet world

i'm looking to getting into shooting trap and skeet. could some of you chime in on what i need to look for in a shotgun/recommendations for this type of shooting as i'm a newb to the trap/skeet world

Got a shotgun? Use it. Just like with USPSA/IPSC. I always tell people to bring/shoot what they have and see what others use. Most shooters at the range will happily let you try their stuff so you can see what feels right FOR YOU.

Not sure where you are located but Southborough and Hopkinton have active shotgun groups where I see this happen all of the time.

Good luck.

Got a shotgun? Use it. Just like with USPSA/IPSC. I always tell people to bring/shoot what they have and see what others use. Most shooters at the range will happily let you try their stuff so you can see what feels right FOR YOU.

Not sure where you are located but Southborough and Hopkinton have active shotgun groups where I see this happen all of the time.

Good luck.

Agreed....you don't need anything particluar to start out. I started trap with a mossberg 500 12G 30 inch barrel fixed full choke and am hitting in the low 20's from the 16 yard line. That gun is definately not ideal according to "trapazopid" standards as it is a fixed full choke. However....if you can get ahold of a pum action 12G with any type of adjustable choke system you'll be off to a good start......most recommend improved modified choke for trap. If you find you like trap you can upgrade to an over/under shotty which is what most of the dedicated trap shooters use later on.

Additionally you can get 12 guage "target loads" like the remington gun club target load for about 7 - 9 bucks a box just about anywhere.....it is actually a relatively inexpensive shooting sport!

Last edited:
Shoot what you got (as said above) - if you have nothing, show up at a place where it's done, and let them know that you're interested. People will likely let you try their toys, and give you advice.

Right now, I'm looking for a $50 Mossberg bolt action 12 ga, just to show that you don't need a $3000 gun to break them. Of course, I'll have my kid do the shooting.....he's better than I am.

[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom