• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Skeet Shotguns

you can use anything in the shotgun games, really. more of a matter of bore restriction than anything.
You really dont want your turkey choke in when shooting skeet and you dont want your Cyl choke trying to hit a high long flyer in sporting clays.
At our club there are a few guys thier tactical open cylender gun shooting trap very well. They get on the clays fast. As the targets get away their hits get pretty weak though.

get to know your gun and how it shoots and you can hit almost any clay.

One of our better shooters started out with a Rossi Coach Gun for Trap. Having the extra-full choke tubes made it work. Most target loads are optimized for longer barrels, so he lost some performance, but ya gotta dance with the one that brung ya (or vice-versa!).

Mossberg silver reserve o/u, anyone have one or recommend for or against it? Its a nice looking gun, I like mossberg but all the reviews ive seen are polarizing in either its junk or its a great shotgun for the money.

I love my mossberg silver reserve and seen two others at the range

For me it points great
Wore it quick. Was super tight
Had to muscle it open

But now it's great. Love it

Mossberg silver reserve o/u, anyone have one or recommend for or against it? Its a nice looking gun, I like mossberg but all the reviews ive seen are polarizing in either its junk or its a great shotgun for the money.

Be careful on non Browning or Beretta over/under shotguns! It is difficult to solder the two barrels in place so that they both shoot at the same point of aim. I bought a silver reserve that the bottom barrel shot 2" left and 3" low at 16 yards. Take the chokes out and fire a low recoil slug, or put in full chokes and fire #8's at a target at 16 yards from a rest. Figuring I just had bad luck I went to buy a Silver Reserve from a person on this board, but tested it with slugs and found the top barrel shot 2" high and 2" left. I would not buy a silver reserve or a Lambier without testing the barrel regulation first. I help with a youth team and have found these low end guns to be all over the map with respect to barrel regulation (same point of aim). Buy an used 1100 or save up $1500 for a used Browning/Beretta.

As I've said before I'm amazed at the number of shotgunners who have not checked the point of aim and barrel regulation

At least with a single barrel ( pump or auto) you don't have ot deal with two barrels being properly regulated! [laugh]

I always advise new shooters to not buy a brand, or a model, but to find something that feels "right". Ask shooters at the club if you can try their guns (See the "question of etiquette" thread for why to ask!). Guns are like shoes. Different brands' size 11 boots will fit different people differently.

My kid crushes them with a Winchester 1400 or Remington 1100. Neither is a "real" target gun, but he knows that they do the job, and the mental component is VERY important.

If an 870 or a Mossberg pump "fits" you....you'll do well. My trap guns are field guns, of the less-expensive-when-new-and-they're-not-new-anymore variety. I was having a decent day (23 four times), and one guy said, "here, try my ($8000) Ljutic". I shot a 23 with it.

"Nice! It shoots as well as my Browning A5!" I told him! [shocked][laugh] Point of this: it's the shooter, not the gun.

When you get "good", then you'll know that it's time to upgrade, and what to upgrade to. Spend less on a gun, put the extra to more ammo and birds for practice, and the rest will fall into place. If you ask for advice, you'll likely get it. I generally don't offer pointers without being asked, but I'm happy to help any new shooters that want help.

Well, we did have one small difficulty with a new shooter that had a Coach Gun for Trap ... some people were worried that it was too short, but there is no Club official minimum length, and since it's "legal", I said (in my position as Trap Chairman), "Let 'er rip."

Trap guns with ported barrels are more disruptive to the neighboring shooters.

If people try tacticool shotties, that's fine....but like any tool, the one desigened for job A won't be ideal for job B.

Reading has a couple of club guns you can use if you would like. One is a 20 o/u. Ask the rang officer what they have to offer.it is a goods way to try before you buy.

Reading has a couple of club guns you can use if you would like. One is a 20 o/u. Ask the rang officer what they have to offer.it is a goods way to try before you buy.

I do indoor shooting there with some people so I'll ask if any of them shoot skeet.

Is 20ga preferred rather than 12?

I started with an 1100, now use a browning o/u.. still miss the 1100 though and shoot rounds with it once in a awhile. Bought them both used, the o/u from the classified here. 20ga

Back
Top Bottom