• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Skeet learning curve

Recently started trap/skeet shooting in the past Six weeks. I find that I enjoy skeet more and find it more challenging. Everyone I've run into has been great with coaching, tips, trying different guns etc. (I didn't listen to their advice and did go out and buy my own shotgun). I try and shoot at least twice a week and I'm consistently shooting in the low teens (Real low). I'm able to land a double once a week. I'm still having issues keeping both eyes open and find that my success rate is less doing so. Other than practice practice practice does anyone have any tips?

I have actually been shooting skeet less than you, and we havent kept score much. Won't let that stop me from giving you my favorite tip so far. That would be don't aim , but rather point and shoot by instinct. Maybe your trying to close one eye to aim? maybe you do worse when you try to keep both eyes open because your relying on aim rather than point and shoot early in flight. I dunno man, not even at amateur level but that's what my buddies had me doing and I got over a big hump and was shooting a lot better. Hope it helps.

First, I'm a Trapezoid, not a skeeter, so I have no detailed advice to give you, but:

Don't over-think it - the moving target games are about reaction, not anticipation.
Follow through. It helps you develop a lead.
Be consistent in stance, gun mount, timing of the call.
You have all the time in the world until you call; don't rush it Get your head on the target. Then call for it.

Find ONE experienced shooter that can communicate with you (breaking birds does not a teacher make), and work on one issue at a time - do you have an inconsistent butt position on your shoulder? Are you lifting your head? Etc.

Do not think about the misses (when I figure out that one, I'll let you know! [laugh]), or the score. Just the bird(s) you're going to crush.

Once you get the body mechanics right, it's all in your head....then the real fun starts! [rofl]

Keep at it!

Take your time. Shoot when you are ready.

Trap shooting lines tend to develop a pace and cadence. It feels like you have to shoot at that pace. You don't.

And before every shot say to yourself that a 25 does not matter, in fact you don't want to shoot a 25, just the next bird. One bird at a time.

I switched guns a few weeks ago. First round, 19, second round 21. I usually shoot a bit better but figured it was a new gun and I had to get the sight picture right. So I slowed down my prep, focused on my breathing, and kept saying I don't want to shoot a 25... and I shot a 25. So much of it is psychological.

One other thing I try to do... watch the birds of the other shooters. Watch where they first become visible. Watch the direction they take. Train your eyes to watch the bird from the first glimpse and it will become natural when you shoot. At least that seems to help me.

If you want to eliminate years of frustration of learning the game and getting bad advice, you'll call this guy:

Skeet shooting instruction with NSSA Master Instructor Angelo Troisi.

It was the best money I ever spent in regards to shooting. I dont always shoot 25's but i always consistantly shoot in the 20's and when I miss, I know WHY I missed and what I need to change. Or you can shoot for the next 10 years and listen to guys say "3 foot lead" "behind it" "over it" "must be the gun"....

I would first try to get a hold of trap. Then move to skeet. The skills learned from getting on the bird (two eye shooting, etc) will translate directly to skeet.

I'm new to trap as well.....busting in the low 20s after a about 10 rounds total. I started off in the low teens......found that I increaed my hits when I concentrated more on consistant mount of the shotgun. I take my time before calling for the bird (mentioned here already) and make sure my position is the same every time before calling "pull". I try to see the path of the clay and trace in imaginary orange line of the path of the clay with the beed of the shotgun and snap the trigger when the beed is on the clay and follow through. Before attempting trap I have fired a rifle and hand gun for years with both eyes open.....I know its strange.....but it always worked for me in the Army and in recreational shooting.....maybe that helped me transition to clays. Don't get frustrated with it....and my advice may not work for you.....just try a few things and you'll figure it out!

You said you shoot trap/skeet. Hopefully you got a a gun that adapts well to both sports. I know when i shoot trap with my Browning trap gun and then go hunting i tend to shoot low on the birds due to the difference between my trap gun and field gun.

IMO i think you should stick to trap. I think it is more challenging than skeet due to the variation in birds. After shooting trap for years and trying skeet i shot no less than a 23 in each round.

If you really get good you can always add a wobble in either game.

Don't stop the gun. Most new shooters pick a spot in the sky, point the gun there, and pull the trigger. Watch the bird, get your lead, swing through as your brain pulls the trigger at the correct moment.

Try to watch the bird break in flight as you keep the barrel swinging. Follow through!

Good luck and have fun.

You said you shoot trap/skeet. Hopefully you got a a gun that adapts well to both sports. I know when i shoot trap with my Browning trap gun and then go hunting i tend to shoot low on the birds due to the difference between my trap gun and field gun.

IMO i think you should stick to trap. I think it is more challenging than skeet due to the variation in birds. After shooting trap for years and trying skeet i shot no less than a 23 in each round.

If you really get good you can always add a wobble in either game.

Trap is not challenging IMO. Skeet is a game of perfection, and that's always an elusive challenge. Competitive skeet is shot one hundred rounds per event in most cases, 400-500 per shoot. I would say that hitting 400x400 is very challenging.

There are similarities, and differences - I was visiting another Club, and they were not shooting Trap that evening, so we stayed to shoot Skeet. One of the Skeeters asked me, "How come you Trap guys don't talk?" I said, "How come you guys don't keep score?"

[laugh]

Perfection in either is tough - just like 100/100 10-x is with a rifle. I know several people that have gone 100 straight in trap; a few that have gone 200 straight; I'm not one of them (73 is my long run).

Trapezoids say that theirs is the best; Skeeters are the same. Sporting clays have their own opinion.

IT'S ALL GOOD! This is the sort of pointless arguing that gives rise to the "Why don't shotgun shooters support RKBA?:" threads (such as the one that's currently running in General discussion).

If you pull a trigger, you have to pull together!

Well....... I just tried skeet for the first time last night up at LSA club in Lee Ma.
I brought my 13 year old grandson who had some training last year.
That kid beat the pants off me. But all your pointers are great.
He Hit the first bird out. It took me a couple tries but I got it.
Maybe this could be fun!!!!

I shot skeet for the first time last night at Andover Sportsman Club. I really enjoyed it - different game entirely than trap, IMO. I shot five rounds and it wasn't until my last round that I finally hit even one out of two from position 8.

On the "right gun" note, I'll say the best shot at the club is an old timer using a Winchester pump action 20 gauge. He hits doubles with that thing all night long. Amazing.

I cant tell you how many straights i've shot with my Remington 870 pump. It gets the guys with fancy and expensive guns really pissed.

I'd still love to have one of the fancy guns - they're just pretty and comfortable. But it certainly goes to show you that the guy behind the gun is the thing that counts.

I shoot both trap and skeet. I enjoy both games and each has their challenges. My point is I enjoy the sport and the people who participate in it. I have a Citori XT that I have adjusted to be comfortable for me, comfort meaning not pounding my cheek to death. I never get pissed at anyone shooting well with any gun nor have I seen anyone get pissed that an 870 or any other person shot well. Seen bolt action 20's and I have shot my single break open Remington Model 9 on occasion and had a great time. (Should point out that the model 9 is 105 years old!)

Coaching is there for the asking, shotguns are there to be tried. Guess the summary is come on out and enjoy the fun, being outside and get a few laughs. The world needs more of it.

PS - Second Thursday night at SRG is beginners night 6 -9 PM. Refer to Southborough Rod and Gun Club Shooting under the Lights thread for details.

PSS - Still wondering why someone enjoys getting people pissed. Be it as it may, hope to see you on the line.

My first shotgun was a 225$ winchester 1400 mkii that i bought at kittery. it looks like hell but functions flawlessly. I started shooting at a club in hopkinton. There are alot of shooters over there who were very experienced and within a month I was shooting 20+you can learn alot from the people you shoot with. my 3 words of advice are get a consistent swing going and the one thing i did and alot of newer shooters do is point the gun about 2inches off the house. you need to have a little extra lead time. if not by the time you have finished saying pull the bird is already way past you. the last piece only makes sense after you have done it. but hurry up and take your time

Beardsbh,
Based on your description, especially scores going down with both eyes open, my first two questions would be
1. Are you right or left eye dominant? Not all right handed people are right eye dominant. (same for lefties not all being left eye dominant) If your "handedness" and eye dominace dont align, there are several solutions. My elder son had this issue, and was SOOOO frustrated that he could not score well. Once we figured that out, he quickly got into 20's consistantly. Solutions range from shooting of weak shoulder, or putting piece scotch tape on lens of SHOOTING GLASSES of dominate eye. Week eye then becomes dominant.
2. If you are a lefty, is the stock on your gun for lefty? They usually have a cast off for right handed shooters.

Not having a dedicated skeet gun can cost you a few birds, but not a dozen. I gave up dedicated skeet and trap guns, and went back to shooting with my hunting guns. For me clays are practice for hunting.

Back
Top Bottom