• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Skeet chokes

Bad13Luck

NES Member
Going to be shooting some skeet in the next couple weeks. Just wondering what you guys recomend for chokes for skeet. I have a O/U, and I have guys say just to run skeet in both barrels. But I figured there would be some knowledgable guys on here that could help me out.

Thanks Guys

I do not shoot skeet often but when I do I just use the most open chokes I have which is modified, I dont think the shots I miss are because of my choke.

vellnueve, I would agree that for consistant scores and more frequent skeet shooting more open than modified is better.... I do not shoot skeet enough to bother to buy any more chokes. #9 shot out of my Remington with the modified choke throws out a decent cloud of pellets....I only shoot a few rounds a year.
My worst round was my first round 7 my best round is a 19. I use a remington 870 and have only hit the pairs once.
I would think if you focus more on the swing and breaking points rather than choke you will be better off...same for trap

I disagree. A skeet or cylinder choke will give you a considerably larger pattern which greatly improves your chances of a hit.

correct body and feet position. Lead and follow through and understanding the points ideal for breaking targets will score you more dead birds than choke selection.
I would agree if your gun throws a good pattern with a skeet choke then use it....my modified choke has a very open pattern to it.....also the reason to patern your gun at the range you intend to shoot it. Also I been shooting this 870 with this modified choke for a long long time I have shot just about anything and everthing through this choke....works ok for me. Again I do not shoot skeet alot. Only when theres a skeet field at the club Im shooting trap at.

http://www.abhijeetsingh.com/arms/skeet/basicskeet.pdf this is a basic read but My scores have improved since reading it,,,,,,again I am not good at the doubles.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom