• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sissies and Barretts

Ipe

So last night I bring my wife and son to the range (MFS in Hopkinton). We had a great time. My son was dead-on and loving the Savage Rascal they have and with my help and direct supervision he shot a SR22 for the first time. That was pretty cool.

Anyway, after the range time was over we stopped in the store just to see what they had. Sitting on the counter was a Barrett M99 and a Barrett MRAD. Naturally we had to go take a closer look.

After taking a thorough look at the M99 my son announces: "well, you can't be a sissy and shoot one of these"

Everyone in hearing distance starts laughing. My son turns to my wife and asks why everyone is laughing, did he say something funny? My wife answers: "no kiddo, you didn't say anything wrong.... everyone's laughing because what you said is true".

Damn I love my family! [smile]

It's not quite what you would think.

I got to fire one a few years back. That arrowhead muzzle break is the best and worst part of the gun. My 30-06 hurts my shoulder worse than the M99 did. What was seriously unpleasant was the blastwave coming back from the muzzle break. Have you ever dived face first into a swimming pool and come up with the whole inside of your face stining? That's what it's like. The overpressure shocks your sinuses and inside your face everything behind your cheekbones stings like crazy.

If you watch the Mythbusters, every once in a while you'll see Adam with earplugs up his nose. They were shooting a .50 and that's what the plugs were for. We tried them and they helped...a little.

Last edited:
Really no more felt recoil than a 12ga., you're a sissy if you don't fire one if offered to.

I've had plenty of grown men refuse to shoot my .50 bmg rifle and up walks a kid about 50lbs soaking wet, say's I'll try it. I put a shell in the bolt and load it, tell him to hold it tight, he sights in the target, shoots and hits exactly what he was aiming at. He looks up smiles and says"that was nothing!!".

Good God man, this is a firearms site. Please curtail your discussions on "Sissies and Barrettes"...

julien-dore-et-sa-barrette-4380256bdusy_2041.jpg

I got to fire one a few years back. That arrowhead muzzle break is the best and worst part of the gun. My 30-06 hurts my shoulder worse than the M99 did. What was seriously unpleasant was the blastwave coming back from the muzzle break. Have you ever dived face first into a swimming pool and come up with the whole inside of your face stining? That's what it's like. The overpressure shocks your sinuses and inside your face everything behind your cheekbones stings like crazy.

If you watch the Mythbusters, every once in a while you'll see Adam with earplugs up his nose. They were shooting a .50 and that's what the plugs were for. We tried them and they helped...a little.

You don't get that muzzle blast when you're at the trigger or behind the shooter, only to the sides.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't get that muzzle blast when you're at the trigger or behind the shooter, only to the sides.

What the gentleman said. Stay directly behind the gun and it's not unpleasant. They're actually fairly soft shooters, and it's only those who are off to the side or exquisitely sensitive that will suffer from the muzzle blast. Then again, there's more than a few NESers who LIKE the muzzle blast. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom