Sinker recommendations

tuna

NES Member
Been using worms again for the first time in quite a while. My son and I have been having great luck just letting an unweighted dilly drift into a good spot, but with the rains lately, and more to come, the river is moving at a pretty good clip and we need to weight down our bait.

Whoever decided we need to use non toxic metal for fishing weights needs to be skinned, rolled in salt, rinsed in alcohol and smashed in the teeth with a bat.

Besides looking like I'm deep sea fishing with a marble sized piece of safeforduckanium these things are impossible to seat on the line. It takes a good crush with pliers to get them to stay, and if you forget your pliers, I'm afraid I'll break my teeth trying to close them.

I've tried everything on the rack in my local tackle shop, is there any good option for split shot that acts like the old fashioned lead ones we used to bite onto the line? Small and dense would be good, too - these large sized sinkers really kill the aesthetic when using an ultra light spinning setup in a brook, not to mention they look like they'll get hung up easier than smaller split shot.

I'm guessing I won't be able to find anything like the old twist on lead strips that looked like matchbooks, either.

Stupid ducks.

I think 1oz and more is ok. I’m looking for small split shot though. Supposedly the ducks eat the small sizes and get lead poisoning.

I used to use lead shot about the size of a matchhead. Now, a non toxic equivalent weight is about the size of 00 buckshot.

I’d like something smaller, and not as hard as whatever this crap is so I can bite it without breaking a tooth.

I think 1oz and more is ok. I’m looking for small split shot though. Supposedly the ducks eat the small sizes and get lead poisoning.

I used to use lead shot about the size of a matchhead. Now, a non toxic equivalent weight is about the size of 00 buckshot.

I’d like something smaller, and not as hard as whatever this crap is so I can bite it without breaking a tooth.
You can make your own "split shot" from shotgun shot, #4 buck works well, or whatever size you like. Cut open a shotgun shell lol

For once in my life, I’m trying to follow the rules and laws. I know that they made improvements for waterfowl ammo, I was wondering if there’s any dense, malleable metals close to lead that are legal for small weights. Fish cops are everywhere here, and I don’t feel like paying a huge fine for using lead sinkers. I also don’t want to use the shitty legal ones.

For once in my life, I’m trying to follow the rules and laws. I know that they made improvements for waterfowl ammo, I was wondering if there’s any dense, malleable metals close to lead that are legal for small weights. Fish cops are everywhere here, and I don’t feel like paying a huge fine for using lead sinkers. I also don’t want to use the shitty legal ones.

Don't have a tested suggestion for you, but lead is 155% the density of tin so that is your issue.

Not sure if you would hurt yourself trying to bite a tungsten split shot.

Tungsten is even denser and appears to come in split shot.

Don't have a tested suggestion for you, but lead is 155% the density of tin so that is your issue.

Not sure if you would hurt yourself trying to bite a tungsten split shot.

Tungsten is even denser and appears to come in split shot.

Beat me to it. Tungsten is the answer. These also work very well. If your using small hooks just pass the hook through the loop.....slide the weight down as far as you want then pull the line into the narrow part of the clip. They stay in place very well.Screenshot_20220718-184352_Chrome.jpg

I assume you want something NOT at the hook/bait area. Otherwise, a tungsten nail weight would be fine. I would say don't forget your pliers.

I think I found a solution. They have a soft paste with tungsten in it that you can pinch off the amount you need. It’s in the fly fishing section, this must replace the old matchbook weights.
I’ll try this and see how it does and report back in a few days.
I’m stuck in Squam Lake for a training class and don’t know if I can get to the river. I’ll be leaving tomorrow, so I’ll be able to try this when I get home.

I think I found a solution. They have a soft paste with tungsten in it that you can pinch off the amount you need. It’s in the fly fishing section, this must replace the old matchbook weights.
I’ll try this and see how it does and report back in a few days.
I’m stuck in Squam Lake for a training class and don’t know if I can get to the river. I’ll be leaving tomorrow, so I’ll be able to try this when I get home.
I've used it fly fishing. It slipped on the line if I didn't lob it.

I have used tungsten split shot, and they need a firm crimp when attaching to small diameter line. Do not use your teeth unless you want to pay your dentist's mortgage for the month. And they typically break apart when attempting to reuse them.

go old school and use a sparkplug....

I do feel your pain though. the new "sinkers" suck. I use the tungsten and try not to look how big they are.

If you are using worms the old casting bubbles you fill with water are really good for casting bait and fly's.

If you are using worms the old casting bubbles you fill with water are really good for casting bait and fly's.
Never thought to use with bait. I’ve been using them with flys for the past couple years with good luck.

My son and I also broke out our fly rods again, so if you see a pair of fishermen having a seizure in the middle of the river, it’s just us.

Back
Top Bottom