• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Single stage press

I wanted to get a single stage press for .223 and was wondering which one to get and how much it will cost. I was also thinking of getting a used one, any thoughts?

I started with a classic Lyman single stage, then moved on to a Redding T7 turret press which is sort of between a single stage and progressive. It has a turret which holds all your dies so you can install and adjust all of them. Then leave them there and process brass 1 stage at a time. The big advantage is that you don't have to readjust the dies every time you reload - just rotate the turret to the appropriate die.
I have since moved on to Dillon progressive presses, but still have the turret press and use it for some brass processing and rifle reloading.
You can probably find a good single stage press (RCBS rockcruncher, Lyman etc) used. There is nothing wrong with a used kit. Both also used to sell nice starter kits with everything you need to start.

If you want to get into reloading for the cheap, and a single stage press is fine with you, here's the best deal:

Get a RCBS "JR" press, USED, off of eBay, for about $50. Don't pay any more than that, they come up all the time. They are good quality presses, and will last your lifetime. They come with a built in primer installing device, so that makes the job of installing the primers that much easier.

I would go for an RCBS "Rock Chucker". They can be had for a reasonable price on e-bay.

Soup to nuts ...minus the dies and shellholders (#10 for .223)

From the latest Midsouth Shooters Flier that I got in-the-mail:

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000449357

RCBS (Rock Chuck Bullet Swager) RockChucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit

The Rock Chucker Master Reloading Kit comes with everything a beginner or expert needs to start reloading except dies, brass, bullets, primers and powder. Each Master Kit includes a Rock Chucker Supreme Press, 505 Reloading Scale, Uniflow Powder Measure, Speer Reloading Manual, Hand Priming Tool, Hex Key Set, Case Lube Kit, Powder Funnel, Deburring Tool, & Case Loading Block. You must order dies and shell holders separately!

$279.99
order no. 044-9357

I use a RockChucker Supreme and like it quite a bit. Though, I do not use the onboard primer attachment arm, it doesn't provide much feedback when you're pressing ...I prefer the "feel" provided by the hand-held primer tray (that comes with this kit).

Last edited:
Again, just getting started.... buy cheap used. No need to spend a lot of $$$, unless you are someone that wants or has to have new. In that case, buy the best new you can get.

Even if you also end up getting like a Dillon 550 or 650, you should also still buy a cheap eBay single station press. Like I said before, under $50.

Word [wink]

I have a 550B but do all my brass prep on a single stage.... Makes things much simpler and keeps the spent primer mess away from my dillon.....

Again, just getting started.... buy cheap used. No need to spend a lot of $$$, unless you are someone that wants or has to have new. In that case, buy the best new you can get.

Even if you also end up getting like a Dillon 550 or 650, you should also still buy a cheap eBay single station press. Like I said before, under $50.

+1 for the RCBS Rockchucker. i bought one about a year ago, and its been 100% reliable. the "priming arm" leaves a lot to be desired, but i prime with an RCBS benchmount tool anyways.

I use a Forester Co-Ax, no regrets with it for me.

http://www.forsterproducts.com/catalog.asp?prodid=627365

Pros..
No shell holders needed.
Deprimer fouling drops into a tube and a container, so it's not all over you and your equipment.
Die changes take seconds once you setup your lock rings.

Cons...
Lock rings are aluminum, I replace them with Hornady steel rings. remember to leave the lock ring nut facing you so the die can float.

Get the short handle - the long handle gives too much leverage - I've crushed a few cases that I didn't have aligned correctly - as in beer can against the forehead type crushed.

The primer is OK, but I like using a hand primer much better.

Precision single stage press - if you want a large amount of rounds fast look for a progressive.

If the RockChucker handled spent primers well, then I'd recommend it. I've had one for 20 years and that is one thing I really don't like about it.

B

I second the Forster CO-AX. I'm an idiot for selling mine. The Rockchucker works with no problems, though.

The Lee classic cast is a good single stage press.

If you're looking for a new, low cost, single station press, the Lee Classic Cast will fill the bill. For less than $100, it's pretty hard to beat. (I don't care for the priming system that goes with it, so I do my priming on an RCBS bench mounted tool.) If you're just starting out and don't know if reloading will suit you, it's a good way to start.

Add in a powder measure, a powder scale, a set of dies, some plastic loading trays, case lube, a shell holder for the press, a primer flipper, and you'll have a very basic reloading setup. The cost of these items, including the Lee press, will probably be in the $250 area. (This is with a cheaper scale; see my comments below.) You won't have to reload a lot of ammo to amortize $250. I'm not including powder, primers, and bullets, since you'll need those regardless which press you get.

There are two items that I would spend a little more money on instead of looking for the absolute lowest cost: the dies and the powder scale. I would suggest a decent balance beam scale. Even if you move up to a more eleborate reloading setup, you'll always need a good scale to check/calibrate your powder measure. The dies are critical in turning out good ammo. RCBS would be a decent choice here. Even if you later buy a progressive press, you'll probably find that your dies and single station press will come in handy.

I would really stress buying a good scale. The scale will have the biggest impact on the safety of your reloaded ammo. This RCBS scale is pricey, but it's likely to be the last scale you'll ever need to buy. Good metal base, accurate, comes with it's own plastic cover for storage. I've been using one for years with excellent results.

The single stage press is very often the first step in a journey thet will take you to more elaborate machines, like the progressive presses. This simple press will retain its utility even after you adopted the more advanced systems. With this in mind, I would recommend a more expensive and rugged press like the RCBS "Rock Chucker". I use several Dillon machines; RL 450, 550, and 1050, but find my Rock Chucker extremely useful as I size all of my 223 brass on it. I guess the point I'm trying to make is quality reloading presses can literally last a lifetime. Spending a little more for the right press will prove to be a wise choice in the long run.

Powder scales are a different matter, IMHO. I began reloading using a Lyman kit that came with a turret press and a cheap-o, bottom of the line beam scale. In the last 30 years I have replaced all of my reloading equipment many times over, with the exception of the Lyman scale. I am an admitted "gadget freak"; I love new and improved equipment and will use any excuse to upgrade. I never replaced my original Lyman beam scale simply because it worked too well. I'm not sure if this scale is still available (I bought one used as a back-up), but Dillon makes an excellent beam scale for slightly under $50. I would go for the inexpensive Dillon scale and save my money for other cool gadgets.

In 30 plus years of reloading I have stumbled upon two inexpensive, entry level products that worked so well that I simply could not bring myself to replace them, despite the attraction of newer and more sophisticated equipment. They are the Lyman beam scale and the Competition Electronics Pro Chrono chronograph. Both have given me many years of trouble free performance. Some things just work too well to replace.

The single stage press is very often the first step in a journey thet will take you to more elaborate machines, like the progressive presses. This simple press will retain its utility even after you adopted the more advanced systems. With this in mind, I would recommend a more expensive and rugged press like the RCBS "Rock Chucker". I use several Dillon machines; RL 450, 550, and 1050, but find my Rock Chucker extremely useful as I size all of my 223 brass on it. I guess the point I'm trying to make is quality reloading presses can literally last a lifetime. Spending a little more for the right press will prove to be a wise choice in the long run.

Powder scales are a different matter, IMHO. I began reloading using a Lyman kit that came with a turret press and a cheap-o, bottom of the line beam scale. In the last 30 years I have replaced all of my reloading equipment many times over, with the exception of the Lyman scale. I am an admitted "gadget freak"; I love new and improved equipment and will use any excuse to upgrade. I never replaced my original Lyman beam scale simply because it worked too well. I'm not sure if this scale is still available (I bought one used as a back-up), but Dillon makes an excellent beam scale for slightly under $50. I would go for the inexpensive Dillon scale and save my money for other cool gadgets.

In 30 plus years of reloading I have stumbled upon two inexpensive, entry level products that worked so well that I simply could not bring myself to replace them, despite the attraction of newer and more sophisticated equipment. They are the Lyman beam scale and the Competition Electronics Pro Chrono chronograph. Both have given me many years of trouble free performance. Some things just work too well to replace.

Some may think I'm crazy but I already own a 650 but perfer to handload my .223 on a SS press.I really dont shoot enough .223 but when I do I use Lapua brass,sierra hpbt and Varget powder.I guess I'm a bit anul when doing it or probably I was schooled from an old timer with a SS

Is it the Lyman D7(?) scale with the gray metal base? An excellent and easy to use scale. Agate bearings, IIRC. I still have one in the reloading room and still use it on occasion. It has to be close to 30 years old now, and still works like a champ. [grin]

This is the best ss press ever made. It's going to be my next purchase.

Nice press! I especially like the snap in-snap out die holder. It says it's compatible with all standard dies. I'm wondering if it will work equally well with the hex type die lock rings as the round knurled ones. No shell holders to fart around with, either. Hmmmmmm.....I may have found my next Christmas present. [smile]

Is it the Lyman D7(?) scale with the gray metal base? An excellent and easy to use scale. Agate bearings, IIRC. I still have one in the reloading room and still use it on occasion. It has to be close to 30 years old now, and still works like a champ. [grin]

Nice press! I especially like the snap in-snap out die holder. It says it's compatible with all standard dies. I'm wondering if it will work equally well with the hex type die lock rings as the round knurled ones. No shell holders to fart around with, either. Hmmmmmm.....I may have found my next Christmas present. [smile]

I'm not sure what model my Lyman scale is. It has a gray base approx 2x7.75 in and is very easy to use, basically as good as new after 30 years. The back-up I bought appears to be the same scale, but the base is orange.

I'm not sure what model my Lyman scale is. It has a gray base approx 2x7.75 in and is very easy to use, basically as good as new after 30 years. The back-up I bought appears to be the same scale, but the base is orange.

Sounds like the same one I have. In looking through the product descriptions on Midway it looks like plastic has taken over for metal in a lot of the scales. [sad] I've always felt that a metal base was more stable, but hey, time marches on.

I think it needs to have the round lock rings because it is technically a "floating" die. It can move in all directions to ensure it is perfectly in line with the rising cartridge. A typical hex ring would impede it's movement. The round lock rings are inexpensive.

Back
Top Bottom