• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Single Stage Press

WickedSharp

NES Member
Hello everyone,
I am brand new to the idea of reloading. I've read a lot and am inclined to think that I actually CAN get by with a simple single stage press instead of a progressive.
I only have one caliber to reload for.... 41 magnum.

I will be working with one or two of the guys at my club before I actually reload myself. But while I am doing this, I wanted to start building a shopping list. So, if I were going to setup shop for a single stage, one caliber (pistol), low volume system, what would I need at a minimum on top of the press? I don't want the cheapest. Lets say middle of the road. Makes and models would be awesome!

Single Stage Press
3 die set (41 magnum)
etc..
etc..
etc..

You would need something to clean your brass
You would need a powder dispenser
You would need a scale
You would need calipers
You WILL need a bullet puller
You would need loading blocks (2)
You would need a hand priming device...

There is also some free Reloading Classes up at the kittery trading post 2x a month.
I did a review on them if you do a search- it was very helpful to me.

If you need 41 cast, PM me I know a guy that's going to start a large run of them in 2 weeks. I've been waiting for him to do them since March.

I have a RCBS RockChucker kit that was a great starting system for me. I'd recommend it. I do higher volumes of a few cartridges now so I use a progressive more these days.

+1 on the RCBS RockChucker Kit. Might want to add a digital scale to it instead of the scale that it comes with to speed things along a bit. Add a tumbler and media, and you should be good to go. Started with .357 dies myself and then it just took off from there. The single stage is much slower than a progressive, takes me about an hour and a half for me to make 100 rounds.

Thunderbolt

D... This is cheaper than I can piece together a single stage setup.

ARGHHHH

There is probably a reason for that.[wink]
Do some research on the Lee press and then go out and buy the best quality equipment that you can afford. Good or bad, you will have it for many years, make sure that it is worth having.
A good quality single stage press and dies, a powder scale, case trimmer, and powder measure are the foundation of a reloading setup. You can add to the basic setup as need arises and funds are available.

Jack (handloading since 1968)

Add a tumbler and media, and you should be good to go.

I'm stealing this idea from somebody who said it earlier but...

Skip the media that is sold JUST for reloading. Go to the pet store, hit the bird section, pick up a bag of "Walnut litter" and you'll be turning out brass that is cleaner and cheaper then the regular media.

I've had a Rock Chucker for years. It's a good press, but I think the way it handles spent primers stinks.

I think Lee and Forester make presses with a hollow ram where the primers fall into a cup for disposal. Much cleaner in my estimation.

B

what press to start

I think that with what i know now and what is now available. I would probably start with the new lee cast iron turret press. Well made with good reveiws. You can single load, all calibers rifle and pistol. They probably will come out with an add on progressive kit at some point. The basic design lends itself easily to it. The price is compettitive to other single o presses and it looks like it should hold up well onder pressure. Just my opinion on more bang for the buck. They are cheap now at KTP $60.00?

don't go cheap

My first press was a low end progressive. With carbide dies i paid
$129 for it. It was a disappointment, too much tinkering to keep
it going. That press is off the bench, the only salvagable items
were the dies.

My advice is to get the best you can afford for what your gonna
do.

Jim

I started with a RCBS Rockchucker almost 30 years ago and it's still going strong. It's the foundation I had for starting and it has not done me wrong. You could get a progressive to start, but it's almost to much to learn when you are starting. A single stage press lets you feel what you are doing at every stage. It's the best way to learn. Get a D press over a C press. They are stronger and you can load almost everything in it.

I bought the Hornady Classic single stage Lock n Load kit. Very well made and their customer service is outstanding. The LNL bushings are great and the auto priming system works well. I love it but I'm now thinking about getting their progressive press. I think a kit (Hornady and RCBS are the two best IMO) is the way to go. Additionally you'll need dies (I bought RCBS), calipers and a tumbler.

GO TO MAINE.....

If you don't find a good setup used (CHEAP) at Kittery, spend some time up there by the seashore.

I got a very lightly used Dillon 550B, with the strong mount attachment and all the goodies they originally came with (primer tubes, primer magazines, trays, toolhead, powder system, and so on) for $225. Even if they don't have what you want, they will take the time to help you with your accessories (the most expensive part).

I go through copious amounts of pistol ammo, and routinely load 500-800 rounds per hour on my 550B (with help loading primer tubes and keeping my bullet and brass bins full, and my "new ammo" bin empty (thanks to my brother!)); so for mass quantities fast, a progressive is really the way to go.

I don't know much about the other presses, but if a Dillon breaks ANY part, they'll ship you a new one immediately- their customer service is like something you used to only be able to read about. My press also has the ability to load pretty much any rifle round as well- something you may want to consider with whatever brand you get- hhrg prez said the Lee turret press can do it too- so that may be a good starting point for you (if you don't needs LOTS of ammo fast :) )

Last edited:
I gave away the first single stage press I owned (it was a POS Lee from their anniversary kit).

I'm about to start loading .223 and decided to buy a good single stage press to use for resizing before I trim the cases, and for uniforming primer pockets.

Since I already have a Hornady L-N-L AP, I decided to get a L-N-L "Classic" single stage. The fact that I already have all of my dies in L-N-L bushings, and the 500 free bullets from Hornady made this an easy choice.

Back
Top Bottom