• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Single Stage Press Binding Problems

That Guy

Banned
I've searched using the site search feature and Googled site:northeastshooters.com, but I can't find this anywhere (including the rest of the internet).

I have a Hornady Lock N Load Classic single stage press. I've loaded about 500 rounds of 9mm and .223 so far, but now it has started to bind so bad that it is ready to tear the edge off a very sturdy work bench. It bind even to move the lever with no casing or die loaded, so it's definitely the press mechanism, not a problem with sizing shells, etc.

I searched all over the internet for maintenance tips - does it need to be lubed, what to use, how, etc. After coming up empty I tried lubing it with case sizing, then I tried using gun oil - neither helped much, and after a hundred strokes it actually made it worse. I've cleaned all the lube off and it's bone dry now and it is basically not moving without an outrageous amount of force.

What do I need to do?

Try some white grease or motor oil (just a light coating) on the ram and linkage pins.

Is there any galling on the ram?

I'm going to guess you got some crud stuck in the ram/body surface or something is lodged in the linkage. Maybe some brass pieces of tumble media. Personally I would call hornady first. If it was ok up to the 500 round mark something happened. Its not hard for stuff to get down into the ram/press area. Things can easily find its way into that slot for the primer seating arm. Slowly take it appart and try to find the problem... I some how got a slither of lead wedged in one of the links....it was enough to feel a problem. Being lead though I doubt it would have bound up any more and eventyually get crushed out.

I do have an email in to the Hornady help desk, so we'll see what they say.

I didn't make it clear, but it didn't happen all at once - it got progressively worse.

Does anyone lubricate the ram? Am I supposed to? I did try motor oil - forgot to add it to the list of lubes already used. Same results - very slight improvement, then progressively worse. I'll try grease next, but I'm not optimistic.

Can I take it apart? At first glance it looked awfully permanent. I'll look at it again.

I was able to take it apart and clean completely down the channel the ram moves through - it had a significant build up of crud in there - I used a bore brush to get it out. After re-assembly it worked like new. SHould I leave it dry or lubricate it with something?

I was able to take it apart and clean completely down the channel the ram moves through - it had a significant build up of crud in there - I used a bore brush to get it out. After re-assembly it worked like new. SHould I leave it dry or lubricate it with something?
? I just used the oneshot cleaner when I got my press. If you don't remove the anti rust stuff they put on it gets gummed up when you don't remove it.
It does get pretty dirty around the ram especially if you don't get as much of the tumble media out of the cases. More lube over a problem tends to never cure the problem. Glad you worked it out.

I occasionally hit the ram on my Rock Chucker with PB Blaster. Then run the ram up and down a few times to remove crud buildup. Then wipe off excess oil. It seems to keep it running free and easy.

I lubricate the ram with expensive gun oil and when I lubricate the other fittings I will use Lucas red wheel bearing grease. With the Hornady single stage press you need to take the linkage apart to lubricate it.

XL 650 Lubrication
Mainshaft (13485)
Use ONLY 30 Weight motor oil. (Dillon XL 650 Instruction Manual)

Greased Parts
The Dillon XL 650 Manual states that with the exception of the ram shaft the only lubricant to be used anywhere on the reloader is wheel bearing grease. New XL 650s are factory lubed with red grease on all sliding and bearing surfaces. The Manual specifically forbids the use of any “penetrating lubricants, aerosol sprays, or solvent type lubes, such as WD-40 or Break Free”.

Its a single stage. Take the effer apart.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Back
Top Bottom